Do you have a hero-champion?

  • ahelee_sf
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi Arpan,
      I really appreciated seeing your message about Gertrude Ederle this
      morning... It was amazing coming from you, because I often think of
      you and the unique relationship that you share with another great
      sports pioneer, Ted Corbitt.

      I remember you telling us about one of your many visits with Mr.
      Corbitt. I believe it was an afternoon or evening of story telling.
      He told you many many of his experiences during his competitive
      career and after. I think he either showed you or you were sitting in
      a room full of old photographs and trophies. I can only imagine that
      kind of a blissful session! How fortunate you are to have that
      relationship.

      Some of these now elderly heros, are so humble and unassuming that it
      can be difficult to hear their stories. I especially love them
      because they are the pioneers. They often had to overcome great
      challenges to accomplish their goals. There was no real money to be
      earned, no special coaching or medical assistance, and no scientific
      nutrition to maintain their energy levels. And not a whole lot of
      media attention either. These are very special champions.
      Do you have a champion hero?

      A true hero-champion
      Is not he who says,
      "I can do it,"
      But he who says,
      "I have already done it.
      I have already sat
      At the Feet of my Lord Supreme."
      Sri Chinmoy

      Once Sri Chinmoy said to me, "When your Master asks you to do
      something, it is already done in the inner world."
      This always gives me confidence to go and try, whenever He asks for
      something to be done.

      I imagine that these champion-heros of our world, hear their own
      inner pilot telling them to "go and do it - it is already done!"
      But I am forever thankful to have Sri Chinmoy here with us to give
      these instructions for everyday living and exceptional challenges.

      Gertrude Ederle, please keep watch on all of the swimmers, and
      especially those crossing your beloved English Channel.
      _
      Ahelee
      San Francisco