Advance Australia Fair

  • rathin31
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2007
      The title of this post is also the title of my country's national
      anthem. It was with some surprise today that I heard from a workmate
      that our national song has five or so verses, and we choose to sing
      only two of them! So, having investigated this matter, I have
      discovered that this revelation is completely and utterly true.

      The song was composed by Peter Dodds McCormick, and first performed in
      1878 (This was quite a shock to me- I had naively assumed it was
      written in response to a national competition the government held in
      the early 1970s to find a new anthem, to replace "God Save the King
      (or Queen)"). The song officially became the national anthem on 19
      April 1984, in time for the Los Angeles olympics. A few changes were
      made to the original lyrics, but they were minor, such as changing
      "Australia's sons, let us rejoice" to "Australians all, let us rejoice."

      Most Australians know the first verse of the song. A good deal less
      know the 'second verse', which, as I have found out, is really the
      third verse. The thing that amazes me is that the other verses, rarely
      sung, are still actually part of our national anthem! Read the lyrics
      for yourself and decide if it truly sounds like the song of an
      independent country, or of some colonial backwater, the latter
      identity being something that we thought we had escaped a generation
      or two ago.

      Australians all let us rejoice,
      For we are young and free;
      We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
      Our home is girt by sea;
      Our land abounds in Nature's gifts
      Of beauty rich and rare;
      In history's page, let every stage
      Advance Australia fair!
      In joyful strains then let us sing,
      "Advance Australia fair!"

      When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
      To trace wide oceans o'er,
      True British courage bore him on,
      Till he landed on our shore.
      Then here he raised Old England's flag,
      The standard of the brave;
      With all her faults we love her still,
      "Brittannia rules the wave!"
      In joyful strains then let us sing
      "Advance Australia fair!"

      Beneath our radiant southern Cross,
      We'll toil with hearts and hands;
      To make this Commonwealth of ours
      Renowned of all the lands;
      For those who've come across the seas
      We've boundless plains to share;
      With courage let us all combine
      To advance Australia fair.
      In joyful strains then let us sing
      "Advance Australia fair!"

      While other nations of the globe
      Behold us from afar,
      We'll rise to high renown and shine
      Like our glorious southern star;
      From England, Scotia, Erin's Isle,
      Who come our lot to share,
      Let all combine with heart and hand
      To advance Australia fair!
      In joyful strains then let us sing
      "Advance Australia fair!"

      Shou'd foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
      Or dare a foot to land,
      We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore
      To guard our native strand;
      Brittannia then shall surely know,
      Beyond wide ocean's roll,
      Her sons in fair Australia's land
      Still keep a British soul.
      In joyful strains the let us sing
      "Advance Australia fair!"

      Note: we only sing the first and third verse (at state functions,
      anyway; at other events just the first verse often suffices.) If we
      sing two verses, the last two lines are removed from the first verse.