Re: Passing of First Woman to Swim The English Channel

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ahelee_sf
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > This morning I have been imagining The Supreme welcoming the soul
      > one of the all time great champion-heros of women and women's
      sports -
      > Gertrude Ederle.
      > Miss Ederle was the first woman to swim The English Channel in
      > Her record time of 14 hours, 31 minutes stood for 24 years.
      > It has always been my hope to meet her in person. There are not
      > sports in which the pioneers are still living. Sadly for me, Miss
      > Ederle's family kept her very secluded and undisturbed in her final
      > years. But perhaps it was also her wish...
      > Another surprise for me was that Gertrude Ederle's home was located
      > in Queens, not very far at all from our tennis court, up until the
      > early 90s. So close and yet so far away!
      > How this woman has inspired so many swimmers to cross The English
      > Channel - and women to conquer so many of life's challenges. God
      > knows... such a significant achievement in the history of sports
      > for the progress of all women.
      > Heartfelt Gratitude, Love, and Admiration For You Gertrude Ederle,
      > _
      > Ahelee
      > San Francisco
      > Aticles at the following links (cut and paste):
      > http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/01/sports/othersports/01EDER.html?
      > ex=1070859600&en=c7fc899c623f466f&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE
      > obit_ederle
      > New York Times Text below:
      > Gertrude Ederle, the First Woman to Swim Across the English
      > Dies at 98
      > Published: December 1, 2003
      > Gertrude Ederle, who was called "America's best girl" by President
      > Calvin Coolidge in 1926 after she became the first woman to swim
      > across the English Channel, died yesterday at a nursing home in
      > Wyckoff, N.J. She was 98.
      > Ederle was a symbol of the Roaring 20's, a decade given as much to
      > heroics as to materialism. For a time, her accomplishment put her
      > the public's affection at the level of Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsey,
      > Tilden and Red Grange.
      > Ederle did not sustain the lofty place in history of another hero
      > the 1920's, Charles A. Lindbergh, who crossed the Atlantic a year
      > after her historic swim, or of the golden athletes who appeared
      > regularly before the public and kept their fame alive. But her
      > which she did only once and under horrendous conditions, made a
      > memorable contribution in an age when many found it difficult to
      > female athletes seriously.
      > They had to take Ederle seriously, because she beat the records of
      > the five men who had previously made the swim from 1875 to 1923.
      > Years later, after other men and women had successfully swum the
      > Channel, Grover A. Whalen, New York City's official greeter, said
      > that of all the celebrities he had welcomed to town, he could not
      > recall one that made the impact of Ederle at her homecoming.
      > Ederele was born Oct. 23, 1905, in New York City, one of four
> [...]

      Thanks for the news, though sad it was. I read about her too. We need
      more people in the outer world like Gertrude Ederly. Self-
      transcendence against all the odds back then was an unbelievably
      courageous thing to do, especially as a woman. We can all use some of
      that inspiration, alot. I know how hard you tried to get her to meet
      us and CKG. Thanks for all the inspiration from the West coast as
      Sincerely, from cold NY,