OT OT Musings from a sub-sub-librarian

  • mahiruha_27
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
      Hello, everyone.

      I realize that my random musings on topics of interest only to me and
      to other gnome-like, burrowing library-dwellers may be viewed as
      inconsiderate to the majority of you kayaking ultimate Frisbee
      soccer-shoe and cricket playing athletic fiends.

      But that's the thing. I don't like sports very much. Even watching
      it on television makes me tired. I'd rather watch a quilting bee on
      television.

      Or how about a "quitting bee" where people in bee costumes give up
      trying to impress people with the novelty of dressing up as bees and

      In college I had a professor who would salute me whenever he saw me
      because he felt convinced that I would be known to history one day as
      a great fascist dictator. He taught Chinese history and felt that
      that gave him the credentials to spot that nascent quality in his
      students. Go figure!

      OK I'm rambling. So what?

      I'm on the wrong side of thirty and I'm losing my hair and I was never
      very tall to begin with and it doesn't look like Woody Allen will be
      writing any more books any time soon and my VCR's broken.

      Frankly, I'm trying to think of something interesting to talk about.

      Malebranche, anyone?

      Or the ontological implications of quantum theory?

      Who's on third?

      That's all for now…

      Mahiruha
    • mahiruha_27

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30, 2007
          Uber librarian signing in to OT book loving, frisbee not! playing
          planet person...

          Just thought you might like to know that you are incorrrect about
          Woody Allen not writing any books anytime soon. While reading reviews
          for our next collection development meeting (aka book buying), I chose
          a book by Woody Allen called "Mere Anarchy" which will be published
          this June. It includes 6 never before published essays. On the website
          of Kirkus Reviews, a book review magazine for librarians, they have a
          feature article about it:
          http://tinyurl.com/37wold

          Cheer up! Woody Allen's humor is waiting in the wings for a summer
          stock performance.

          Sharani

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, mahiruha_27
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Hello, everyone.
          >
          > I realize that my random musings on topics of interest only to me and
          > to other gnome-like, burrowing library-dwellers may be viewed as
          > inconsiderate to the majority of you kayaking ultimate Frisbee
          > soccer-shoe and cricket playing athletic fiends.
          >
          > But that's the thing. I don't like sports very much. Even watching
          > it on television makes me tired. I'd rather watch a quilting bee on
          > television.
          >
          > Or how about a "quitting bee" where people in bee costumes give up
          > trying to impress people with the novelty of dressing up as bees and
          >
          > In college I had a professor who would salute me whenever he saw me
          > because he felt convinced that I would be known to history one day as
          > a great fascist dictator. He taught Chinese history and felt that
          > that gave him the credentials to spot that nascent quality in his
          > students. Go figure!
          >
          > OK I'm rambling. So what?
          >
          > I'm on the wrong side of thirty and I'm losing my hair and I was never
          > very tall to begin with and it doesn't look like Woody Allen will be
          > writing any more books any time soon and my VCR's broken.
          >
          > Frankly, I'm trying to think of something interesting to talk about.
          >
          > Malebranche, anyone?
          >
          > Or the ontological implications of quantum theory?
          >
          > Who's on third?
          >
          > That's all for now…
          >

          > Mahiruha

        • johnji_nz
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2007
            Welcome to the wrong side of thirty Mahiruha—you're not short of
            company, although my company is likewise short.

            An acquaintance who is short on hair informed me the other day that he
            started bumping his head regularly after going bald—something to do
            with the loss of an early warning system when getting too close to
            sharp corners. Something to look forward to on the wrong side of forty?

            Malebranche? Philosophy, like university, is vastly overrated in my
            opinion, but I do like the sound of Malebranche's "Occasionalism,"
            although perhaps not enough to read about it "occasionally."

            John-Paul

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Hello, everyone.
            >
            > I realize that my random musings on topics of interest only to me and
            > to other gnome-like, burrowing library-dwellers may be viewed as
            > inconsiderate to the majority of you kayaking ultimate Frisbee
            > soccer-shoe and cricket playing athletic fiends.
            >
            > But that's the thing. I don't like sports very much. Even watching
            > it on television makes me tired. I'd rather watch a quilting bee on
            > television.
            >
            > Or how about a "quitting bee" where people in bee costumes give up
            > trying to impress people with the novelty of dressing up as bees and
            >
            > In college I had a professor who would salute me whenever he saw me
            > because he felt convinced that I would be known to history one day as
            > a great fascist dictator. He taught Chinese history and felt that
            > that gave him the credentials to spot that nascent quality in his
            > students. Go figure!
            >
            > OK I'm rambling. So what?
            >
            > I'm on the wrong side of thirty and I'm losing my hair and I was never
            > very tall to begin with and it doesn't look like Woody Allen will be
            > writing any more books any time soon and my VCR's broken.
            >
            > Frankly, I'm trying to think of something interesting to talk about.
            >
            > Malebranche, anyone?
            >
            > Or the ontological implications of quantum theory?
            >
            > Who's on third?
            >
            > That's all for now…
            >

            > Mahiruha

          • mahiruha_27
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 31, 2007
              Dear Sharani, Doris and John-Paul,

              Thank you all so much for your responses.

              When George Lucas asked me to write the script for his upcoming Star
              Wars prequel, I wrote a pilot entitled "Attack of the Kleins".

              Being a Klein myself, I wrote a long, involved and repetitious history
              of my family with all of its foibles and quirks. It was really a
              psychological docudrama and addressed many of man's fundamental
              questions about life and meaning.

              In the opening scene, I copied Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space
              Odyssey. I showed some primitive primates banging rocks together and
              dancing spasmodically. At the bottom of the screen were superimposed
              the words "The original Kleins". Then the scene shifted some two
              hundred years into the future, and the Klein family is sitting around
              the dinner table bickering and arguing over that day's trip to the art
              museum. And superimposed on that scene are the words "The more
              things change..."

              After that, it got surreal.

              Suffice it to say, I squandered thirteen million of Lucas' actually
              not inexhaustible fortune. He chose not to release the film as I
              wrote it, although he did keep most of the words in the title.

              I have never actually seen "Star Wars: The Original Schlock", and I
              suppose that this was a major handicap when I accepted the project.

              I am really sorry about this and if any of you would like me to write
              the prequel for your movies, please make sure that I've seen the
              originals first, if nothing else than for continuity.

              An abashed Mahiruha Klein

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, johnji_nz
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Welcome to the wrong side of thirty Mahiruha—you're not short of
              > company, although my company is likewise short.
              >
              > An acquaintance who is short on hair informed me the other day that he
              > started bumping his head regularly after going bald—something to do
              > with the loss of an early warning system when getting too close to
              > sharp corners. Something to look forward to on the wrong side of forty?
              >
              > Malebranche? Philosophy, like university, is vastly overrated in my
              > opinion, but I do like the sound of Malebranche's "Occasionalism,"
              > although perhaps not enough to read about it "occasionally."
              >
              > John-Paul
              >
              > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, mahiruha_27
              > <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hello, everyone.
              > >
              > > I realize that my random musings on topics of interest only to me and
              > > to other gnome-like, burrowing library-dwellers may be viewed as
              > > inconsiderate to the majority of you kayaking ultimate Frisbee
              > > soccer-shoe and cricket playing athletic fiends.
              > >
              > > But that's the thing. I don't like sports very much. Even watching
              > > it on television makes me tired. I'd rather watch a quilting bee on
              > > television.
              > >
              > > Or how about a "quitting bee" where people in bee costumes give up
              > > trying to impress people with the novelty of dressing up as bees and
              > >
              > > In college I had a professor who would salute me whenever he saw me
              > > because he felt convinced that I would be known to history one day as
              > > a great fascist dictator. He taught Chinese history and felt that
              > > that gave him the credentials to spot that nascent quality in his
              > > students. Go figure!
              > >
              > > OK I'm rambling. So what?
              > >
              > > I'm on the wrong side of thirty and I'm losing my hair and I was never
              > > very tall to begin with and it doesn't look like Woody Allen will be
              > > writing any more books any time soon and my VCR's broken.
              > >
              > > Frankly, I'm trying to think of something interesting to talk about.
              > >
              > > Malebranche, anyone?
              > >
              > > Or the ontological implications of quantum theory?
              > >
              > > Who's on third?
              > >
              > > That's all for now…
              > >

              > > Mahiruha

            • mahiruha_27
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
                I referred to the movie, "Star Wars", as "schlock" and I want to
                emphasize that I said it in the context of a tongue-in-cheek article,
                and I was being facetious.

                I admit that the acting in most of the Star Wars movies is a little
                unimaginative, overdone and silly. But having said that, I thought
                the first Star Wars movie to be released, Episode IV: A New Hope, was
                very spiritual. I like the part where Yoda is training Luke in
                mastering the Force. At one point when Luke is struggling and his
                concentration is wavering, he protests to Yoda that he "will try".
                And Yoda reminds him, "Do, or do not. There is no try."

                I also like Carrie Fisher (the woman who played Princess Leia) a lot.
                I've never read her most famous book, "Postcards From the Edge", but
                I did hear her interviewed on Terry Gross' program "Fresh Air" and was
                impressed by her sensitivity and intelligence.

                Now what movies or television programs would merit the term "schmalz"
                I wonder…

                Mahiruha

                <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > trying to impress people with the novelty of dressing up as bees and
                > > >
                > > > In college I had a professor who would salute me whenever he saw me
                > > > because he felt convinced that I would be known to history one
                day as
                > > > a great fascist dictator. He taught Chinese history and felt that
                > > > that gave him the credentials to spot that nascent quality in his
                > > > students. Go figure!
                > > >
                > > > OK I'm rambling. So what?
                > > >
                > > > I'm on the wrong side of thirty and I'm losing my hair and I was
                never
                > > > very tall to begin with and it doesn't look like Woody Allen will be
                > > > writing any more books any time soon and my VCR's broken.
                > > >
                > > > Frankly, I'm trying to think of something interesting to talk about.
                > > >
                > > > Malebranche, anyone?
                > > >
                > > > Or the ontological implications of quantum theory?

              • purnakama2000
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2007
                  Schmalz. Hmmm
                  The Notebook was pretty emotionlly charged. I cried for 2 and a half
                  hours on my way to China watching that movie. Any movie that can
                  make me cry like that is usually what I call schmalzy.
                  What exactly is the definition of schmalz? It's such a great word.

                  Purnakama
                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Welcome to the wrong side of thirty Mahiruha—you're not short
                  of
                  > > > company, although my company is likewise short.
                  > > >
                  > > > An acquaintance who is short on hair informed me the other day
                  that he
                  > > > started bumping his head regularly after going bald—something
                  to do
                  > > > with the loss of an early warning system when getting too
                  close to
                  > > > sharp corners. Something to look forward to on the wrong side
                  of
                  > forty?
                  > > >
                  > > > Malebranche? Philosophy, like university, is vastly overrated
                  in my
                  > > > opinion, but I do like the sound of
                  Malebranche's "Occasionalism,"
                  > > > although perhaps not enough to read about it "occasionally."

                • rathin31
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5, 2007
                    Hello Mahiruha,
                    I would like to point out that Yoda the Jedi Master does not appear in
                    the Star Wars saga until Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, which is
                    widely regarded by fans and film critics as the best of the bunch.
                    Conversely, Episode I: The Phantom Menace is considered the worst. I
                    subscribe to both these opinions wholeheartedly. And the puppet Yoda
                    from the old series, though unmistakeably a puppet, is much better
                    than the CGI Yoda from the later screen outings.

                    Note: before The Phantom Menace, and the alien Jar Jar Binks, and his
                    brethren, The Return of the Jedi was considered the worst instalment
                    in the series, and the cuddly Ewoks of Endor the most reviled characters.

                    Rathin

                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > originals first, if nothing else than for continuity.
                    > >
                    > > An abashed Mahiruha Klein
                    > >

                    > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, johnji_nz
                    > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Welcome to the wrong side of thirty Mahiruha—you're not short of
                    > > > company, although my company is likewise short.
                    > > >
                    > > > An acquaintance who is short on hair informed me the other day
                    that he
                    > > > started bumping his head regularly after going bald—something to do
                    > > > with the loss of an early warning system when getting too close to
                    > > > sharp corners. Something to look forward to on the wrong side of
                    > forty?
                    > > >
                    > > > Malebranche? Philosophy, like university, is vastly overrated in my
                    > > > opinion, but I do like the sound of Malebranche's "Occasionalism,"
                    > > > although perhaps not enough to read about it "occasionally."

                  • pavaka_cambrian
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 5, 2007
                      Mahiruha,

                      I'm compelled to point out that the very spiritual teachings
                      that you are quoting (to Star Wars fans' delight) are actually from
                      Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. Have you ever seen the montage
                      that a news show once did where they alternate between images of Sri
                      Chinmoy lifting something really heavy and the scene you are
                      referring to? Quite brilliant.

                      For your trivia-hunger, please note that those lines took home the
                      Oscar for "Most immortal utterings by a puppet" at the Academy Awards
                      of 1980.

                      Pavaka

                      <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > >
                      > > An abashed Mahiruha Klein
                      > >

                      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, johnji_nz
                      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Welcome to the wrong side of thirty Mahiruha—you're not short of
                      > > > company, although my company is likewise short.
                      > > >
                      > > > An acquaintance who is short on hair informed me the other day
                      that he
                      > > > started bumping his head regularly after going bald—something
                      to do
                      > > > with the loss of an early warning system when getting too close
                      > > > sharp corners. Something to look forward to on the wrong side of
                      > forty?
                      > > >
                      > > > Malebranche? Philosophy, like university, is vastly overrated
                      in my
                      > > > opinion, but I do like the sound of
                      Malebranche's "Occasionalism,"
                      > > > although perhaps not enough to read about it "occasionally."

                    • rathin31
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 7, 2007
                        The meaning of "Schmaltz" (or "schmalz"): exaggerated sentimentalism,
                        as in music or soap operas. The word comes from Yiddish.
                        Now, to address Mahirura's musing "what movies or television programs
                        would merit the term "schmalz", I would have to reply: about half of
                        them! Though it is a strange phenonemon that even when one is
                        experienced enough to know when a director is attempting to pull the
                        same old heart strings in the same old way, one still goes along for
                        the emotional ride, despite the protestings of other parts of one's
                        being. I bet if I saw ET again, I'd still be choked up when the little
                        green fellow, seemingly lifeless, opens up those big brown eyes and
                        croaks to his friend, Elliott: "phone home..."

                        Rathin

                        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, purnakama2000
                        <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > > the dinner table bickering and arguing over that day's trip to
                        > the art
                        > > > museum. And superimposed on that scene are the words "The more
                        > > > things change..."
                        > > >
                        > > > After that, it got surreal.
                        > > >
                        > > > Suffice it to say, I squandered thirteen million of Lucas'
                        > actually
                        > > > not inexhaustible fortune. He chose not to release the film as I
                        > > > wrote it, although he did keep most of the words in the title.
                        > > >
                        > > > I have never actually seen "Star Wars: The Original Schlock",
                        > and I
                        > > > suppose that this was a major handicap when I accepted the
                        > project.
                        > > >
                        > > > I am really sorry about this and if any of you would like me to
                        > write
                        > > > the prequel for your movies, please make sure that I've seen the
                        > > > originals first, if nothing else than for continuity.

                      • cott_doris
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007
                          oh, yes, ET...

                          Why is it called "schmalz" or "schmaltz"?

                          Originally it is processed animal fat and has a low melting point.
                          Vegetarians such as I am using palm fat to produce schmalz.

                          You heat up the palm fat with apples, onions and some spices such as
                          majoran and himalaya-salt, you wait until it is cooled down and then
                          you enjoy.

                          I like it very much, it's simple to make but yummi. In Europe you can
                          buy it in healthfood stores as well.

                          Doris

                          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, rathin31