Sri Chinmoy Triathlon Festival 2007...more

  • rathin31
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10 4:34 AM
      So, last time I was writing about the childrens' races we have as part
      of the Festival. My own vantage point was from a kayak, so I got a
      good view of the swim leg, but not much else. Some of the kids
      struggled a bit, but as the water was only a few feet deep, they could
      always walk if swimming got too much! Before the race started I saw
      one boy on the beach showing his friends that he could do a back sault
      (or 'backflip'- but a gymnast will tell you this is incorrect
      terminology!) Anyway, it was a pretty impressive move. I saw my friend
      Martin do a couple of back saults on a mountain in Austria a couple of
      months ago- but he had the snow to break his fall!

      The secondary school children got to swim in the deep water. They
      started under the big "START" banner we erected in the lake, just off
      the shore. Their course was the same as the all-ages joyathon that
      was held a few hours later.

      Next morning was the Off-Road Triathlon. Alf and I set out early in
      the morning to set out the run course, a 5km cross-country jaunt. We
      loaded up our ute (note to non-Australian readers: "ute" is short for
      "utility", a light truck with a tray back.) Then I discovered that
      having the headlights on had flattened the battery. Things were
      looking bleak, but I tried a backwards roll-start, which fortunately
      worked. You can do this with a manual gear-shift vehicle. Then Alf
      drove and I jumped in and out, putting out traffic cones and signs to
      mark the course. After crossing Yarralumla oval, the course heads up
      onto Stirling Ridge, a nice little nature park that extends from
      Yarralumla Bay virtually all the way to Parliament House. Several
      embassies can be seen along the way. Then the course heads down to the
      lakeside, which is the best part of the run, following an often rocky
      trail by the water. We were set up just in time, as the competitors
      were heading towards the swim start. I jumped in the powerboat to help
      with water safety. The lake is used by many rowers, who generally
      cannot see where they are going, and need to be warned away from the
      swimmers. In keeping with the recent wierd weather, a strange mist had
      appeared from nowhere, and the balmy summer temperature plummeted. It
      was as if a big cloud was sitting right on the lake. The problem with
      this was that the swim crosses the lake, and the end of the swim could
      not be seen. Fortunately the mist didn't last long. You can see traces
      of it in the race photos at
      http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/gallery/australia/tri2007/offroad/
      Regrettably, there are no pictures from the mountain bike leg, the
      most exciting part of the race. You can see a few pictures from the
      run though, at the end of the album. I took these ones, as my next
      task was to be a marshal on the run course. I like this part of the
      course the best. It is about a mile from the finish, and the leaders
      tear past, looking fresh and energetic. The competitors towards the
      end of the field look a little tired! But all seem happy to be out
      enjoying Canberra's wonderful bushland, a place full of kangaroos,
      wombats, echidnas, galahs, and sulfur-crested cockatoos.

      Next time, I'll talk about how much fun I had setting up the swim
      courses for the Sunday races, and my other experiences...