American World Harmony Run meets "American Idol" TV show

  • sarah_inseattle
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6 10:57 AM
      Hi all,

      What do the American World Harmony Run and "American Idol" have in
      common? Besides both being American, the answer is: Sanjaya Malakar.
      He is a 17 year-old youth from nearby Federal Way, Washington, and a
      member of The Total Experience Gospel Choir, which performed at a 2006
      World Harmony Run ceremony here in Seattle. He is also a finalist in
      the nationwide TV show, "American Idol."

      Okay, I'll admit I watch the show. A little guilty pleasure of mine :-)
      One night earlier in the competition, Pranlobha saw the show and
      recognized Sanjaya from the Gospel Choir. All of us at Seattle Centre
      are getting such a big kick out of it!

      For those who may not be familiar with the show, American Idol is a TV
      show singing-contest. Tens and tens of thousands of people audition in
      about half a dozen cities around the US. The judges narrow them down
      to the top 24 contestants, 12 men and 12 women. From that point on, the
      judges continue to give feedback, but the American viewing public casts
      votes each week, based on each singer's solo performances, for their
      favorite singers. Singers with the lowest number of votes leave the
      show, and the competition continues, until only one singer remains.

      Sanjaya not only made it to the top 24, but is now among the top 16. It
      is an incredible accomplishment in itself, especially for one so
      young. Others in the competition are up to age 29 and have been
      performing for decades. Sanjaya will perform tonight (Tuesday March 6)
      with the other 7 men, and will find out on Thursday in a "Results Show"
      if he is still in the running.

      To see a photo of Sanjaya, visit:
      http://www.americanidol.com/contestants/season6/sanjaya_malakar/

      Sanjaya faces some amazingly talented competition, and we wish him all
      the best!

      Sarah
      Seattle
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 12 11:54 AM
        Hi Sarah,
        It's a small world! We had a local contestant too from Massachusetts
        until recently and he was a regular feature on the local Fox news
        programming. The show is certainly a phenomenon. Some years I miss the
        whole season, other years I catch it here and there. The other night I
        was really inspired to hear that they are incorporating a
        fundraising/charitable theme to the show to raise money for the poor
        in Africa and America. Since as many as 37 million votes come in on
        each week's elimination round, I think it's really encouraging that so
        many people will have the chance to broaden their participation beyond
        a simple talent contest and help some worthy causes. It sounds like
        one show will almost be like a live-aid rock concert with Bono and
        others. Quincy Jones is composing a special song for it too. With this
        new approach they finally get my vote.

        Sharani

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > What do the American World Harmony Run and "American Idol" have in
        > common? Besides both being American, the answer is: Sanjaya Malakar.
        > He is a 17 year-old youth from nearby Federal Way, Washington, and a
        > member of The Total Experience Gospel Choir, which performed at a 2006
        > World Harmony Run ceremony here in Seattle. He is also a finalist in
        > the nationwide TV show, "American Idol."
        >
        > Okay, I'll admit I watch the show. A little guilty pleasure of mine :-)
        > One night earlier in the competition, Pranlobha saw the show and
        > recognized Sanjaya from the Gospel Choir. All of us at Seattle Centre
        > are getting such a big kick out of it!
        >
        > For those who may not be familiar with the show, American Idol is a TV
        > show singing-contest. Tens and tens of thousands of people audition in
        > about half a dozen cities around the US. The judges narrow them down
        > to the top 24 contestants, 12 men and 12 women. From that point on, the
        > judges continue to give feedback, but the American viewing public casts
        > votes each week, based on each singer's solo performances, for their
        > favorite singers. Singers with the lowest number of votes leave the
        > show, and the competition continues, until only one singer remains.
        >
        > Sanjaya not only made it to the top 24, but is now among the top 16. It
        > is an incredible accomplishment in itself, especially for one so
        > young. Others in the competition are up to age 29 and have been
        > performing for decades. Sanjaya will perform tonight (Tuesday March 6)
        > with the other 7 men, and will find out on Thursday in a "Results Show"
        > if he is still in the running.
        >
        > To see a photo of Sanjaya, visit:
        > http://www.americanidol.com/contestants/season6/sanjaya_malakar/
        >
        > Sanjaya faces some amazingly talented competition, and we wish him all
        > the best!
        >
        > Sarah
        > Seattle

      • sarah_inseattle
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2007
          Hi all,

          Well, in case you haven't heard, Sanjaya made it to the Top 7 before
          he was voted off. The Top 10, of which Sanjaya is a part, will go on
          an American Idol Tour. Reportedly he is very excited.

          The fundraising/charitable shows were held last week. On Tuesday,
          contestants performed, interspersed with clips of Idol host & judges
          touring areas of Africa & the US where charity dollars will be spent.
          The theme for the contestants was to perform "inspiring" music.
          Because of the theme, it seemed a bit out of place for judges to
          critique the songs. How do you critique somebody's inspirational
          song? Yet it is a singing competition. The judging was definitely
          toned way down. Then the audience was encouraged to vote, vote, vote
          more than ever because corporate monetary matches were pledged to the
          number of votes called in.

          Every week, Wednesday night has been "Results Show." This week, the
          Wednesday night show was 2 hours long, and I taped it since I wouldn't
          be home. When I got home, I flipped to the end of the tape, curious to
          know who had been voted off, by default of the lowest number of votes.
          I was surprised to see the producers decided--- apparently without
          telling anyone in advance--- that *nobody* would be sent home that
          night, as it seemed contrary to the spirit of the fundraising. Now I
          agree, but then I feel it should have been made clear upfront that
          this would not be a "results" show. Were they afraid nobody would
          watch it if they knew? It came off like they had manipulated the
          audience. Vote, vote, vote the night before but then when you tune in
          for results it is a big fundraiser only--- sorry, next week two people
          will leave to make up for it.

          I think there are some conflicts of interest to be worked out, if
          American Idol wants to try something like this again, but it would be
          great if they can find a way to do it.

          Sarah
          Seattle
          (who, by the way, has never voted)

> [...]
          > > votes each week, based on each singer's solo performances, for their
          > > favorite singers. Singers with the lowest number of votes leave the
          > > show, and the competition continues, until only one singer remains.
          > >
          > > Sanjaya not only made it to the top 24, but is now among the top
          16. It
          > > is an incredible accomplishment in itself, especially for one so
          > > young. Others in the competition are up to age 29 and have been
          > > performing for decades. Sanjaya will perform tonight (Tuesday
          March 6)
          > > with the other 7 men, and will find out on Thursday in a "Results
          Show"
          > > if he is still in the running.
          > >
          > > To see a photo of Sanjaya, visit:
          > > http://www.americanidol.com/contestants/season6/sanjaya_malakar/
          > >
          > > Sanjaya faces some amazingly talented competition, and we wish him

        • martanda_oslo
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2007
            I thought you meant our Sanjaya from UK before I browsed down to
            Idol-final doing a 15 minute recitation from the Mahabharata with his
            impeccable English accent. :-)
            Voted out of American idol then are we? 7th place is not so bad, Cheer
            up old boy, stiff upper lip and all that.

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
            their
            > > > favorite singers. Singers with the lowest number of votes leave
            the
            > > > show, and the competition continues, until only one singer remains.
            > > >
            > > > Sanjaya not only made it to the top 24, but is now among the top
            > 16. It
            > > > is an incredible accomplishment in itself, especially for one so
            > > > young. Others in the competition are up to age 29 and have been
            > > > performing for decades. Sanjaya will perform tonight (Tuesday
            > March 6)
            > > > with the other 7 men, and will find out on Thursday in a "Results
            > Show"
            > > > if he is still in the running.
            > > >
            > > > To see a photo of Sanjaya, visit:
            > > > http://www.americanidol.com/contestants/season6/sanjaya_malakar/
            > > >
            > > > Sanjaya faces some amazingly talented competition, and we wish him

          • sarah_inseattle
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2007
              Forgive me for replying to my own post--- I just found out that the
              American Idol shows last week raised a jaw-dropping $70 million for
              needy children in the US & Africa. I am speechless.

              Sarah
              Seattle

              <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
              their
              > > > favorite singers. Singers with the lowest number of votes leave
              the
              > > > show, and the competition continues, until only one singer remains.
              > > >
              > > > Sanjaya not only made it to the top 24, but is now among the top
              > 16. It
              > > > is an incredible accomplishment in itself, especially for one so
              > > > young. Others in the competition are up to age 29 and have been
              > > > performing for decades. Sanjaya will perform tonight (Tuesday
              > March 6)
              > > > with the other 7 men, and will find out on Thursday in a "Results
              > Show"
              > > > if he is still in the running.
              > > >
              > > > To see a photo of Sanjaya, visit:
              > > > http://www.americanidol.com/contestants/season6/sanjaya_malakar/
              > > >
              > > > Sanjaya faces some amazingly talented competition, and we wish him

            • richard13_oxford
              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2007
                I say! I think that's a splendid idea! Our Sanjaya on American idol,
                reciting the Mahabharata!

                I don't know anything about American Idol, but, I assume this would be
                a unique kind of performance?

                regards,

                Richard

                p.s. At first glance I thought it was making reference to a boy
                called, Sanjay - a talented actor in the centre.

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, martanda_oslo

                Message 7 of 8 , May 11, 2007
                  Hi Sarah,
                  Remember about how you wrote about the gospel group that performed at
                  the World Harmony Run in Seattle that included Sanjaya, the American
                  Idol contestant? The gospel group and the choir director were featured
                  tonight on the evening world news - ABC I think. Seattle was the big
                  topic of the news show tonight since they also talked about the
                  phenomenon of "Northwest Nice" and how people can get in big trouble
                  for even just cutting in line - for the ferry in particular. They said
                  people are known for being friendly, laid back but very well-mannered
                  by waiting for lights to cross streets, etc. I must say that I
                  certainly feel inundated by "niceness" when socializing and chatting
                  with you. Thanks for sharing the "Northwest Nice" vibe with us all.

                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > until recently and he was a regular feature on the local Fox news
                  > > > programming. The show is certainly a phenomenon. Some years I
                  miss the
                  > > > whole season, other years I catch it here and there. The other
                  night I
                  > > > was really inspired to hear that they are incorporating a
                  > > > fundraising/charitable theme to the show to raise money for the poor
                  > > > in Africa and America. Since as many as 37 million votes come in on
                  > > > each week's elimination round, I think it's really encouraging
                  that so
                  > > > many people will have the chance to broaden their participation
                  beyond
                  > > > a simple talent contest and help some worthy causes. It sounds like
                  > > > one show will almost be like a live-aid rock concert with Bono and
                  > > > others. Quincy Jones is composing a special song for it too.

                • sarah_inseattle
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 13, 2007
                    Hi Sharani,
                    YES! I saw that. Pat Wright, the choir director, was ABC's "Person of
                    the Week!" It is so odd, because I can't remember the last time I saw
                    ABC news, but I happened to see it that night, and was able to tape
                    the "Person of the Week" segment.

                    Here is a link:
                    http://abcnews.go.com/WN/PersonOfWeek/story?id=3166750&page=1

                    Well, if I have the "Northwest Nice" vibe, then you have the Northeast
                    Nice" vibe. And to think, we are each transplants!

                    In resonance & harmony :-)
                    Sarah