Re: On the virtues of indoor exercise

  • johnji_nz
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2007
      Would any Canadians care to comment on the weather perhaps? ;-)

      As one who spent only a single winter in Canada, but a very memorable
      one, I can recall the following...

      • Getting to stay home from school when the wind chill factor reached
      -60, but not before then
      • Being thrown outside by the teachers every lunchtime, who would then
      lock the doors for a full hour so we had to stay out there. We only
      got to stay inside if the weather had approached the conditions of the
      last point (blizzards, ice storms), but we had somehow still made it
      to school that day. I think the teachers drew straws each day over who
      was going to have to patrol the outdoors playground
      • The wind whistling through my clothes as though I wasn't wearing any
      • Snow drifts reguarly as high as cars, and the locals saying "Oh, eh,
      this is nothing eh, last year the army had to dig us out eh, when the
      snow drifts reached the top of the lamp-posts eh... Eh!"
      • Going ice-skating on "fields," not just lakes, when in "Spring" the
      snow began to melt a little and then refreeze as ice. That was
      actually rather fun.
      • Not being able to watch tennis, because you lived so far away from
      anywhere you only got the CBC...

      But back to the present, yes sorry Kamalakanta, I do have a little
      sympathy for you, here in mild New Zealand where winter is summer with
      more rain, and some wear shorts all year round.

      But I suspect your northern neighbours, probably in the grip of
      something 20 or 30 degrees colder, aren't quite so sympathetic...

      John-Paul

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Here on the East coast of the United States, we are facing a really
      > cold, cold front.
      >
      > Temperatures are plummetting down to levels as low as they have been
      > seen all winter long.
      >
      > I have been living in the US for the last 14 years, and have grown
      > accustomed to the winter temperatures....with a limit. When my hands
      > start freezing (around 32 degrees Farenheit), that is where I draw the
      > line.
      >
      > As much as I admire those who can exercise outdoors in the winter, my
      > body rejects this kind of weather, which is more than 55 degrees
      > colder than I am used to.
      >
      > Therefore, on I go with my indoor exercise program, inspired by a
      > Nadal-Federer tennis match...
      >
      > Again, kudos to all Nordic souls, but this little tropical bug is
      > staying home until God decides to make things a little more reasonable
      > outside.
      >
      > Kamalakanta

    • krandan_aus
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2007
        Kamalakanta,
        Here on the Northwest coast of Australia we are about to face
        Tropical cyclone George Category 4(A big one).The humidity is intense.
        How does that sit with your tropical bug disposition?
        Last night I was up all night in my role as engineer on an oil
        vessell going through the procedure of isolating and disconnecting
        all of the electrical and control systems that connect us to the oil
        wells on the sea bed 80 metres below us.This allows us to drop our
        mooring buoy if the cyclone gets too close and sail away. At 3am I
        took a break and changed my totally sweat saturated overalls.I took
        my exercise outdoors last night, but with the impending weather
        change will be following you in pursuing the virtues of indoor
        exercise. What a wonderful world. Just two weeks ago we were together
        enjoying Thailand. Now we have all taken our journeys homeward to the
        corners of the globe. What diversity there is in the Cosmic game!Stay
        warm brother while I try and stay cool!Smiles from Aus.
        Krandan Geelong

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2007
          Krandan, you won't have to worry about mosquitoes for awhile!

          In Puerto Rico we get hurricanes too...well, something has to give!

          Good luck in your work, and I hope everyone makes it safely through.

          Kamalakanta

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, krandan_aus