On the virtues of indoor exercise

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2007
      Here on the East coast of the United States, we are facing a really
      cold, cold front.

      Temperatures are plummetting down to levels as low as they have been
      seen all winter long.

      I have been living in the US for the last 14 years, and have grown
      accustomed to the winter temperatures....with a limit. When my hands
      start freezing (around 32 degrees Farenheit), that is where I draw the
      line.

      As much as I admire those who can exercise outdoors in the winter, my
      body rejects this kind of weather, which is more than 55 degrees
      colder than I am used to.

      Therefore, on I go with my indoor exercise program, inspired by a
      Nadal-Federer tennis match...

      Again, kudos to all Nordic souls, but this little tropical bug is
      staying home until God decides to make things a little more reasonable
      outside.

      Kamalakanta
    • johnji_nz
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2007
        Would any Canadians care to comment on the weather perhaps? ;-)

        As one who spent only a single winter in Canada, but a very memorable
        one, I can recall the following...

        • Getting to stay home from school when the wind chill factor reached
        -60, but not before then
        • Being thrown outside by the teachers every lunchtime, who would then
        lock the doors for a full hour so we had to stay out there. We only
        got to stay inside if the weather had approached the conditions of the
        last point (blizzards, ice storms), but we had somehow still made it
        to school that day. I think the teachers drew straws each day over who
        was going to have to patrol the outdoors playground
        • The wind whistling through my clothes as though I wasn't wearing any
        • Snow drifts reguarly as high as cars, and the locals saying "Oh, eh,
        this is nothing eh, last year the army had to dig us out eh, when the
        snow drifts reached the top of the lamp-posts eh... Eh!"
        • Going ice-skating on "fields," not just lakes, when in "Spring" the
        snow began to melt a little and then refreeze as ice. That was
        actually rather fun.
        • Not being able to watch tennis, because you lived so far away from
        anywhere you only got the CBC...

        But back to the present, yes sorry Kamalakanta, I do have a little
        sympathy for you, here in mild New Zealand where winter is summer with
        more rain, and some wear shorts all year round.

        But I suspect your northern neighbours, probably in the grip of
        something 20 or 30 degrees colder, aren't quite so sympathetic...

        John-Paul

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Here on the East coast of the United States, we are facing a really
        > cold, cold front.
        >
        > Temperatures are plummetting down to levels as low as they have been
        > seen all winter long.
        >
        > I have been living in the US for the last 14 years, and have grown
        > accustomed to the winter temperatures....with a limit. When my hands
        > start freezing (around 32 degrees Farenheit), that is where I draw the
        > line.
        >
        > As much as I admire those who can exercise outdoors in the winter, my
        > body rejects this kind of weather, which is more than 55 degrees
        > colder than I am used to.
        >
        > Therefore, on I go with my indoor exercise program, inspired by a
        > Nadal-Federer tennis match...
        >
        > Again, kudos to all Nordic souls, but this little tropical bug is
        > staying home until God decides to make things a little more reasonable
        > outside.
        >
        > Kamalakanta

      • krandan_aus
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2007
          Kamalakanta,
          Here on the Northwest coast of Australia we are about to face
          Tropical cyclone George Category 4(A big one).The humidity is intense.
          How does that sit with your tropical bug disposition?
          Last night I was up all night in my role as engineer on an oil
          vessell going through the procedure of isolating and disconnecting
          all of the electrical and control systems that connect us to the oil
          wells on the sea bed 80 metres below us.This allows us to drop our
          mooring buoy if the cyclone gets too close and sail away. At 3am I
          took a break and changed my totally sweat saturated overalls.I took
          my exercise outdoors last night, but with the impending weather
          change will be following you in pursuing the virtues of indoor
          exercise. What a wonderful world. Just two weeks ago we were together
          enjoying Thailand. Now we have all taken our journeys homeward to the
          corners of the globe. What diversity there is in the Cosmic game!Stay
          warm brother while I try and stay cool!Smiles from Aus.
          Krandan Geelong

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2007
            Krandan, you won't have to worry about mosquitoes for awhile!

            In Puerto Rico we get hurricanes too...well, something has to give!

            Good luck in your work, and I hope everyone makes it safely through.

            Kamalakanta

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, krandan_aus