Re: The Veneration of Life

  • melinda_geelong
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2007
      ---Good Stuff!
      What a totally inspiring insight into an otherwise too challenging
      situation.
      I have often wondered in the past how difficult it must be for
      those close to someone suffering dementia to be forgotten or
      have no recognisable relationship with their loved one and what
      hope is restored by reading this remarkable account!

      What a total life hog the mind can be!
      It gives me such joy to imagine how this man could see the pure
      life force of his mother having cast aside all the prejudices and
      sometimes not too happy memories of a confused mind. The
      actual process of deterioration of the mind leads many to believe
      that the person has 'gone' and I have heard friends describe
      their mothers in similar circumstances as having 'gone'.
      Being so used to defining ourselves by our thoughts and actions
      it is liberating to feel the truth coming through this mans
      experience. It is very inspiring to see someone rising above the
      mental and emotional challenges of parental decline.

      Thank you for posting it Karina. I hope it helps a lot of people
      even if they have no direct experience of the situation to be able
      to attain a perspective of life that is real and perfect.

      In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kwcanb
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I have just read a book by John Diamond, MD - entitled 'The
      > Veneration of Life - Through the Disease To The Soul.' He is a
      > renound healer and this book is a simple exploration of his
      journey
      > with his mothers Alziemers.
      >
      > Here are a few extracts:
      >
      > 'As my mother sank progressively deeper into Alzhiemers, it
      was only
      > her ego that died away, revealing her soul ever more clearly.
      Until
      > at the end that was all she was...'
      >
      > '...In light of this teaching it can be said, that every illness, in
      > fact every situation, can be, and indeed is, essential for the
      > maturation of the Soul.
      >
      > And so it was with my mother's disease. With her increasing
      > dementia, her Soulhood, her Perfection, became ever more
      manifest,
      > until at the end she was barely anything but pure Soul.'
      >
      > 'Music takes a long time to die, for it too comes so directly from
      > the Soul... Every time I visited my mother in the nursing home I
      > saw, I felt, I Knew, her Soul ever more closely, ever more
      lovingly,
      > as her dementia increased. Previously, throughout our lives
      > together, I had never been able to look into my mother's eyes.
      Now
      > I could - not just into them - but deeply into them for they truly
      > were the windows of the Soul. They were as pools of infinite
      peace.

      > Whenever I looked into them, it was as if I was transported to
      some
      > other world, to the land of Belovedness...'
      >
      > My own Grandma had alziemers and I had never really
      understood the

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2007
        Just some thoughts on this...

        This man was able to see his mother's soul because he is aware of that
        reality. When people say someone is "gone" it is because they can see
        only the mind...quite possibly they are not aware of something deeper...

        I could be wrong in this point of view, but my own experience with my
        family leads me to this...I have two brothers and one sister. My
        sister is very active in her church, and prays daily. My two brothers
        might pray ocassionally, but they are not actively leading a spiritual
        life; they feel satisfied with what they have and what they are, so
        they have no need for something more.

        When I went to Puerto Rico recently for my father's funeral, my sister
        could understand my actions, but my brothers could not. I had to spend
        three weeks defeding every little thing I did, because one of my
        brothers was bothered by literally everything I did, whether it was
        running, or praying, or visiting a sick uncle while my family was
        grieving.

        It was a shock to me, that people so closely related to me could not
        "relate" to what I was about, or what I was doing, could not "feel" me.

        I work in a retail store, and some of our customers, even those who
        might not understand fully what I do in spiritual terms (having a
        meditation teacher, practising meditation, etc.), are very spiritually
        alive, and I can talk about spiritual things with them, without them
        feeling threatened in any way. It is for me one of the most beautiful
        things to realise that many people, regardless of race, culture,
        religion or nationality, feel as I do. It gives me great joy and
        inspiration to talk to them.

        Going back to Melinda's point, just yesterday, a customer in our store
        was talking to me about her son. Her son has severe autism.

        We were talking about the need to remain happy , even when outer
        circumstances are not the best.

        She said she was happpy, and then mentioned her son as her main
        happiness. I was quite surprised, because I have seen her son,
        strapped in the back of her car, waiving his arms uncontrollably....

        She said that it is like being with an angel, so innocent! (He is all
        heart, because the mind is not there....)

        She is a spiritual person. There are "parents" who abuse
        their children, just because the child is crying for affection or
        food....and this person, who has to atttend to every need this "child"
        has (I think he is a teenager now) feels grateful and happy, because
        she is able to see the divine in him, his purity and innocence.

        Yes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

        May we all see the divine in ourselves and each other, so that we
        might bring the Kingdom of Heaven to Earth. Where is this Kingdom of
        Heaven? Right inside our hearts, in our good and divine qualities, and
        in the good and divine qualities of others.

        The sooner we can see the divine in ourselves and in others, the
        sooner this Kingdom of Heaven will be manifested on Earth.

        Kamalakanta

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, melinda_geelong
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > saw, I felt, I Knew, her Soul ever more closely, ever more
        > lovingly,
        > > as her dementia increased. Previously, throughout our lives
        > > together, I had never been able to look into my mother's eyes.
        > Now
        > > I could - not just into them - but deeply into them for they truly
        > > were the windows of the Soul. They were as pools of infinite
        > peace.
        > >
        > > Whenever I looked into them, it was as if I was transported to
        > some
        > > other world, to the land of Belovedness...'
        > >
        > > My own Grandma had alziemers and I had never really
        > understood the
        > > role it played in My life. I understood that Her Soul was having
        > an
        > > experience but I didn't accept the possibility that I could also
        > > share that experience in a spiritually nourishing way.

      • krandan_aus
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2007
          Karina and Melinda,
          My father in law ahs been slipping into dementia for the last 18
          months He is a lovely man who has cared for others all his life,been
          a devout churchgoer and has reached the ripe age of 95.He has always
          been a bit of a worrier warrier.I work away for periods of time and
          don't see him as often as I would like. My visits with him are
          exchanges of pure heart love for each other. As I walk in his usual
          greeting is a smile and "Where have you been?" His Mantra is I don't
          remember! Fortunately for now he still remembers me.I pray for his
          comfort peace and happiness.On the last occasion I visited him I was
          later than usual, and he was asleep.As I quietly approached him I sat
          down next to him in wonder and gratitude. His whole body was bathed
          in light and he was radiating peace and serenity. I knew then that
          this God Lover was being cared for on all levels.I took his hand,
          gently woke him and we talked as father and son, friend to friend.To
          see him so peaceful and shining with life and light as he was,
          touched my soul beautifully.This lovely man has his reward.He has
          found peace and comfort.His problems have slipped away.
          Thankyou for the post. Life - at all stages of life is cause for
          celebration and thankfulness for the Life Breath that sustains us.
          Krandan Geelong.