Chicago (was Re: OT: Miscellaneous Camera Clicks)

  • pavitrata27
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 28, 2007
      Hi Sharani

      Re Chicago, the 'Bean' was being restored when I was there, but I
      still had an amazing time...it was mid-summer. Hot, but nice breezes
      off the lake. I hired bikes and did lots of serious exploring, around
      the city as well as the lake shore. Less frantic than New York but
      still with that big city buzz I felt right at home in Chicago. As you
      say the Victory's Banner food is superb, and the hospitality and
      welcome they offer is truly exceptional.

      Of course I had to do a lot research re NY vs Chicago pizza but at the
      end of the day Chicago got my vote after finding a pizza place that
      was pure organic.

      I wish I had more time to have explored the many places you mention,
      maybe another year. Your observations about painting are very
      perceptive. A painter at heart, I still have this sneaking suspicion
      that photography may be the 'fast food' of the art world. And as
      addictive.

      Re Swami Vivekananda: after his great reception in Chicago he came to
      London, I found the house in London where he stayed and gave lectures,
      it is still there. Check out the photo page on my Gallery for more
      details of this:

      http://tinyurl.com/2m9qxd

      Re the Olympus, I have read a few hands on reviews, they all look good.

      One thing many experienced photographers will be interested in is that
      the camera offers the facility to take pictures in the RAW format.
      Virtually all compact and 'bridge' (half way between compact and SLR
      interchangeable lens)only take photos in varying resolutions of JPEG
      mode. With all JPEG photos, however high the resolution, there is some
      loss of quality as the camera uses inbuilt programming to compress the
      image and also in most cases tweak the color and sharpness. In the RAW
      format there is no data loss, no tinkering with the image, it simply
      records in the highest quality what is coming through the lens.
      The downside is that the more common simpler image editing programs
      don't allow image editing in RAW mode, and the image needs to be
      converted.

      What is impressive, if it is to be believed, is the claimed 530 shot
      battery life. Speaking to my camera shop honchos, my view of AA's is
      outdated. New circuitry and improved camera and battery technology
      have moved things on. Also a significant factor is that the camera
      uses the smaller xD memory cards. These use considerably less battery
      power than the bigger compact flash cards. This is not a problem for
      SLRs, which generally use compact flash cards, as they have big
      batteries, but is a problem for small cameras that use the compact
      flash system.

      Sample shots in wide and medium telephoto look fine, but I can't say I
      am impressed by the quality of the far end of the zoom photos. Still,
      as the camera also offers a good macro facility it will I am sure be a
      camera many people will be happy with.

      Pavitrata