Vegitarian - How we got here -cheese sauce, beans, rice , tofu, bread, sharing

  • adhiratha
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2003
      Awhile ago, Hmmm well actually 30+ years ago. We were at the
      University of Dayton in Ohio and one of our [group, colleagues, team]
      suggested that she would be willing to cook every night in one of the
      houses if we agreed to eat vegetarian food at least 3 times a week
      and pay less than what we would have for our Meal ticket from the
      University. Money was tight and we all liked to be with each other
      anyway so about four of us said OK. In about a week she wanted to
      know if we missed the meat and we said no. She was a great cook and
      so we went Meatless. Of course we had lots of discussions on the
      subject. A few people in our wider circle were already vegetarian and
      the book "Diet for a small Planet" was about that time. At least one
      was a strong advocate. So we just slipped into it. As I began to see
      how much more sense from an enviornmental and political perspective
      [sharing resources] vegitarianism made I was greatful that friends
      had been instrumental in my gradual change at the personal level.
      Then later I learned of the spiritual benifit and was curious years
      later and asked how the cook was able to get us off the meat so
      quickly. She said since we were all willing to try , she gave big
      helpings and lots of cheese sauces. We knew early about combining
      beans and rice for the protean but it was only years later that the
      tofu came into such a prominent position. There was a couple of
      simple cook books that went around. But beans and rice with steamed
      vegies was something I could manage making and I would throw a can of
      cambles mushroom soup in with the cooked rice and call it great...

      In a few years we were more into slowing down and noticing what was
      in all the food - we experimented with making our own bread - the
      Tasahara Bread Book..was interesting and fun. I was know for my rock
      bread - when I decided to try not using yeast.. and suggested we eat
      all our experiments to help us digest and better learm from our
      experiences...mistakes.

      It was all part of a learning process where we shared things fully as
      we discovered. So it was eventually with Hatha Yoga and those of us
      who began to meditate.."to know ourselves".

      btw, In recent years I had a hard time changing from eating so much
      saturated fat and those cheese related products. But that is another
      story. And there is one about fasting that would have to include Sri
      Chinmoy's cautionary comment about those who believed regular [or
      extreme] fasting would bring them closer to God...

      - Adhiratha
    • nayak_ltp
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
        In addition to your fetching stories, you have a big heart and nicely
        invited me to be in a play that you produced. I was walking down the
        hall the day before the performance and you came zipping up and asked
        me if I wanted to be in a play, filling in the role of "Part two, to
        assign".

        It was a wonderful experience, and I leearned in that play that
        Tagore's family was treated as quite exalted in India. You were
        terrific as Tagore. We gave a lot of joy and inspiration to the
        audience.

        If you are up for it, I have a role for you as the Supreme in a short
        play to be performed when we join Guru on the road.

        YOurs,

        Nayak

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, adhiratha
        > Awhile ago, Hmmm well actually 30+ years ago. We were at the
        > University of Dayton in Ohio and one of our [group, colleagues,
        team]
        > suggested that she would be willing to cook every night in one of
        the
        > houses if we agreed to eat vegetarian food at least 3 times a week
        > and pay less than what we would have for our Meal ticket from the
        > University. Money was tight and we all liked to be with each other
        > anyway so about four of us said OK. In about a week she wanted to
        > know if we missed the meat and we said no. She was a great cook and
        > so we went Meatless. Of course we had lots of discussions on the
        > subject. A few people in our wider circle were already vegetarian
        and
        > the book "Diet for a small Planet" was about that time. At least
        one
        > was a strong advocate. So we just slipped into it. As I began to
        see
        > how much more sense from an enviornmental and political perspective
        > [sharing resources] vegitarianism made I was greatful that friends
        > had been instrumental in my gradual change at the personal level.
        > Then later I learned of the spiritual benifit and was curious years
        > later and asked how the cook was able to get us off the meat so
        > quickly. She said since we were all willing to try , she gave big
        > helpings and lots of cheese sauces. We knew early about combining
        > beans and rice for the protean but it was only years later that the
        > tofu came into such a prominent position. There was a couple of
        > simple cook books that went around. But beans and rice with steamed
        > vegies was something I could manage making and I would throw a can
        of
        > cambles mushroom soup in with the cooked rice and call it great...
        >
        > In a few years we were more into slowing down and noticing what was
        > in all the food - we experimented with making our own bread - the
        > Tasahara Bread Book..was interesting and fun. I was know for my
        rock
        > bread - when I decided to try not using yeast.. and suggested we
        eat
        > all our experiments to help us digest and better learm from our
        > experiences...mistakes.
        >
        > It was all part of a learning process where we shared things fully
        as
        > we discovered. So it was eventually with Hatha Yoga and those of
        us
        > who began to meditate.."to know ourselves".
        >
        > btw, In recent years I had a hard time changing from eating so much
        > saturated fat and those cheese related products. But that is
        another
        > story. And there is one about fasting that would have to include
        Sri
        > Chinmoy's cautionary comment about those who believed regular [or
        > extreme] fasting would bring them closer to God...
        >
        > - Adhiratha
      • matt_boulton73
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
          I've noticed that a lot of meat-eaters express concern when they learn
          that someone is vegetarian, and often tell them how dangerous a
          meat-free diet can be, and quiz them on how can they possibly consume
          enough protein, iron etc to keep their body functioning. I must
          confess that, most of the time, I pay scant regard to any rules of
          food combining, and correct eating, and consume more or less whatever
          comes my way in the due course of events. My question to the world is
          this: Should one worry about what one eats? Are there no hard and fast
          rules? And has anyone seen my silverbeet?
          Matt--- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, adhiratha
          > Awhile ago, Hmmm well actually 30+ years ago. We were at the
          > University of Dayton in Ohio and one of our [group, colleagues, team]
          > suggested that she would be willing to cook every night in one of the
          > houses if we agreed to eat vegetarian food at least 3 times a week
          > and pay less than what we would have for our Meal ticket from the
          > University. Money was tight and we all liked to be with each other
          > anyway so about four of us said OK. In about a week she wanted to
          > know if we missed the meat and we said no. She was a great cook and
          > so we went Meatless. Of course we had lots of discussions on the
          > subject. A few people in our wider circle were already vegetarian and
          > the book "Diet for a small Planet" was about that time. At least one
          > was a strong advocate. So we just slipped into it. As I began to see
          > how much more sense from an enviornmental and political perspective
          > [sharing resources] vegitarianism made I was greatful that friends
          > had been instrumental in my gradual change at the personal level.
          > Then later I learned of the spiritual benifit and was curious years
          > later and asked how the cook was able to get us off the meat so
          > quickly. She said since we were all willing to try , she gave big
          > helpings and lots of cheese sauces. We knew early about combining
          > beans and rice for the protean but it was only years later that the
          > tofu came into such a prominent position. There was a couple of
          > simple cook books that went around. But beans and rice with steamed
          > vegies was something I could manage making and I would throw a can of
          > cambles mushroom soup in with the cooked rice and call it great...
          >
          > In a few years we were more into slowing down and noticing what was
          > in all the food - we experimented with making our own bread - the
          > Tasahara Bread Book..was interesting and fun. I was know for my rock
          > bread - when I decided to try not using yeast.. and suggested we eat
          > all our experiments to help us digest and better learm from our
          > experiences...mistakes.
          >
          > It was all part of a learning process where we shared things fully as
          > we discovered. So it was eventually with Hatha Yoga and those of us
          > who began to meditate.."to know ourselves".
          >
          > btw, In recent years I had a hard time changing from eating so much
          > saturated fat and those cheese related products. But that is another
          > story. And there is one about fasting that would have to include Sri
          > Chinmoy's cautionary comment about those who believed regular [or
          > extreme] fasting would bring them closer to God...
          >
          > - Adhiratha
        • natabara7
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
            Matt-

            When people ask (with a stumping tone) about protein and how one can possibly keep
            strength up without eating meat, I ask them if they, as a meat eater, could take on a
            gorilla, who is a vegetarian. (Watch their face when they hear this -- good fun!).

            That usually gets the point across about the myths regarding strength and a
            vegetarian diet.

            Also, if you are what you eat, why on earth would anyone eat a pig, or a chicken, or...?

            Just a few fun thoughts for my stalwart meat-eating friends to ponder!

            -Natabara

          • goldenboat27
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
              Actually, I always found my main problem with a vegetarian diet
              was the number of people who'd lecture me about it. I even had
              a relative I'd see about once a year (Christmas), who would
              innocently greet me with "Hi Mark. How are you going? Are you
              still vegetarian?"

              After several such occasions, I felt like replying: "Well, Uncle
              Thingummy, I've been vegetarian for seven years now - and if
              that changes, I promise you'll be the first to know." (Except I
              wouldn't call him "Uncle Thingummy", of course - that would be
              silly.)

              Another time, someone said (rather heatedly), "You need to eat
              meat to survive. If you were alone in the desert, and there was
              nothing there but a rabbit, you'd have to eat it!"

              As we were in someone's living room at the time, many miles
              from the nearest desert, I wasn't sure how relevant this was. But
              I remember that handy tip: next time I'm in the middle of the
              desert, and there's nothing there but a rabbit, I'll eat meat... but
              ONLY if I'm in in the desert!

              A popular argument: "Don't you think plants scream when you
              pull them out of the ground?"

              Well, farm animals are fed with - you guessed it - plants! So
              eating vegetarian kills far fewer plants than eating meat.

              Some time ago, I wrote an article for a national magazine about
              the environmental effects of meat-farming. The editor - who also
              happened to be a vegetarian - said to me, "I think people are
              scared of vegetarianism because it makes so much sense!" I
              think she was right.

              Nowadays, I find it's less of a problem. Vegetarianism is so well
              accepted (here in Australia, at least) that nobody bats an eyelid.
              Well, rarely...

              Mark