Running Inspiration-Reincarnate Your Training

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2007
      Running Inspiration-Reincarnate Your Training

      So you are thinking of trying the marathon in April or August but you
      may feel like you have not really trained enough for it? Some people
      may feel like they want to run as they used to but because of various
      health or physical problems they had to give up for a while, or even
      for years, and now find it hard to get started again.

      Once we realize that running is work as well as fun, then we can try
      to identify with the fun aspect and let the work just happen
      naturally. As a long time runner and long distance racer, my running
      and training have definitely gone through many incarnations. Some have
      been much harder than others but the main quality to manifest in any
      type of running is to never give up, even when you have given up
      temporarily, that is.

      The other day I went for a morning run after taking a day off.
      Sometimes after taking a day or more off of running I feel fresher and
      more enthusiastic. But sometimes I feel just the opposite and it seems
      like I am starting all over again. The legs may feel heavy, I seem to
      have no endurance or energy and the feeling of being a `real' runner
      sometimes evades my consciousness. This has happened to most runners
      who have been running for many, many years. The ups and downs of any
      discipline, not only running, can tempt one to give up altogether.

      During this particular run I saw a disciple friend running the other
      way on his way home as I was going out on the same route. I was
      surprised to see him running because I thought he had stopped running
      altogether due to back problems and other health related issues. He
      was also out further than I thought he could run, so I turned around
      and joined him to find out what inspired him to run four miles.

      He told me that during the Christmas vacation he wanted to try to
      start running again as he knows how good it is for his health, inner
      and outer. He decided to use a run/walk technique which I also like to
      suggest to those who are just starting out as first time runners or
      reincarnating their running disciplines. He told me that it worked for
      him and he has also inspired other `older' disciples to start running
      again this way.

      Here is his basic technique that was successful in getting him going
      again and inspiring others to run again. It can be adapted to your own
      style and available time, but the simple concept of
      walking/running/walking in a structured way seems flexible and
      adaptable enough to work for just about anyone:
      First you start out with a definite walk time; he suggested 12
      minutes. Then you jog for a timed amount, in his case it was 4
      minutes. Then you walk 3 minutes, jog 4 minutes, alternating both in
      this way for as much time or energy that you have that particular day.

      Depending on your condition and how you feel that day, you can be
      creative and cut down the walk time, increase the run time, or vice
      versa. The main thing is that you get out and move. Psychologically
      and physically it is easier to get out the door knowing that you are
      not going to force yourself to run. You will start with walking until
      your body feels good enough for a slow jog.

      Do not worry about how fast you are jogging. Speed does not matter at
      this point. Further down the road, or in due time, your condition will
      inspire you to pick up the pace when you are ready. The primary aspect
      of this type of training is to get your mind and body used to the
      discipline and the enjoyment of it.

      Try to do this every other day at least and even go for a number of
      days in a row if you feel good. Give yourself the time in your daily
      schedule to make it one of your priorities as it should be. During
      that time you can also do some forms of chanting or praying, singing
      or reciting poetry. Even just relaxing the mind and enjoying your
      surroundings, whether it be nature or the hustle and bustle of life in
      the city, will all contribute to your overall health and well being.

      After feeling like a `real' runner again, if you want to get more
      serious about distance to run a marathon or half marathon let's say,
      then you can refer to my `Seven Steps to a Successful Marathon'
      training program. You can find it on the SCMT website or at Arpan.us ,
      which is my website.

      Good luck and let me know if it seems to be working for you. Please
      share some of your inspiration with others and any other ideas for
      training you may have.

      Gratefully,
      Arpan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2007
        Dear Arpan,
        I am sincerely touched that you took the time to write about how to
        gently ease into running after not doing it for a while. As a 3,100
        mile race veteran, you could easily cast aside even thinking about
        strategies for those in that category yet you compassionately and
        patiently take the time to write about it.

        I had some success with a similar technique as the one you describe
        that your disciple friend used. I do not have the name of the book
        that it comes from handy and the librarian in me apologizes for that.
        I'm in the middle of a big paper weeding, shredding, purging project
        and the technique I followed was given to me as some photocopies from
        a book. So it's in a pile somewhere but which pile, alas! :-)...

        The technique was quite similar except that it didn't have you start
        out with the 12 minute walking warm-up. But you slowly alternated
        timed amounts of walking, then jogging until eventually the jogging
        portions lasted longer than the walking portions. I found it really
        helpful to follow that kind of structure to gradually transition from
        walking to walking and running both. I highly recommend it to all who
        have struggled with running because of injury, etc. and want to return
        to it.

        Thanks for taking the time to share this training tip to round out all
        your other marathon training advice that you have so kindly shared
        with us in the centre.

        Sharani

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo