OT: Planet UltraMarathon

  • tendayrunner
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2007
      4,000 miles across the Sahara - Engle, Zahab, and Lin Depart for Africa

      Today our friends Charlie Engle, Ray Zahab, and Kevin Lin depart for

      Africa to begin their journey running across the Sahara Desert.

      You can tune in at www.runningthesahara.com to watch their progress as

      they run over 4,000 miles. This is not a relay folks! All three runners

      plan to run, side-by-side, for the entire 4,000 miles. That's 50 miles

      (almost two marathons) every day for 80 days in order to cross 1 desert,

      the largest desert on earth. They will travel through 9 ecosystems and 6

      countries (Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Libya, and Egypt) with 1

      goal: to bring a new vision of the Sahara and its people to the world—a

      more accurate vision intended to increase interest and understanding of

      our fellow humans, an unknowable land, and what each of us is willing to

      do to make a difference—highlighting the need for clean water.

      Spread the word to others and get behind the movement to change the lives

      of Africans that need our help.

      You can also see more info at www.one.org and at Charlie's personal Web

      site at www.charlieengle.com.

      I a personal message to us and his friends, Charlie simply closed by

      writing "I will do my best." We know he will!

      Heather Ulrich

      www.marshallulrich.com

      www.teamstraydogs.com