The Veneration of Life

  • kwcanb
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2007
      I have just read a book by John Diamond, MD - entitled 'The
      Veneration of Life - Through the Disease To The Soul.' He is a
      renound healer and this book is a simple exploration of his journey
      with his mothers Alziemers.

      Here are a few extracts:

      'As my mother sank progressively deeper into Alzhiemers, it was only
      her ego that died away, revealing her soul ever more clearly. Until
      at the end that was all she was...'

      '...In light of this teaching it can be said, that every illness, in
      fact every situation, can be, and indeed is, essential for the
      maturation of the Soul.

      And so it was with my mother's disease. With her increasing
      dementia, her Soulhood, her Perfection, became ever more manifest,
      until at the end she was barely anything but pure Soul.'

      'Music takes a long time to die, for it too comes so directly from
      the Soul... Every time I visited my mother in the nursing home I
      saw, I felt, I Knew, her Soul ever more closely, ever more lovingly,
      as her dementia increased. Previously, throughout our lives
      together, I had never been able to look into my mother's eyes. Now
      I could - not just into them - but deeply into them for they truly
      were the windows of the Soul. They were as pools of infinite peace.

      Whenever I looked into them, it was as if I was transported to some
      other world, to the land of Belovedness...'

      My own Grandma had alziemers and I had never really understood the
      role it played in My life. I understood that Her Soul was having an
      experience but I didn't accept the possibility that I could also
      share that experience in a spiritually nourishing way.

      Karina
    • melinda_geelong
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6 4:13 AM
        ---Good Stuff!
        What a totally inspiring insight into an otherwise too challenging
        situation.
        I have often wondered in the past how difficult it must be for
        those close to someone suffering dementia to be forgotten or
        have no recognisable relationship with their loved one and what
        hope is restored by reading this remarkable account!

        What a total life hog the mind can be!
        It gives me such joy to imagine how this man could see the pure
        life force of his mother having cast aside all the prejudices and
        sometimes not too happy memories of a confused mind. The
        actual process of deterioration of the mind leads many to believe
        that the person has 'gone' and I have heard friends describe
        their mothers in similar circumstances as having 'gone'.
        Being so used to defining ourselves by our thoughts and actions
        it is liberating to feel the truth coming through this mans
        experience. It is very inspiring to see someone rising above the
        mental and emotional challenges of parental decline.

        Thank you for posting it Karina. I hope it helps a lot of people
        even if they have no direct experience of the situation to be able
        to attain a perspective of life that is real and perfect.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6 8:46 PM
          Just some thoughts on this...

          This man was able to see his mother's soul because he is aware of that
          reality. When people say someone is "gone" it is because they can see
          only the mind...quite possibly they are not aware of something deeper...

          I could be wrong in this point of view, but my own experience with my
          family leads me to this...I have two brothers and one sister. My
          sister is very active in her church, and prays daily. My two brothers
          might pray ocassionally, but they are not actively leading a spiritual
          life; they feel satisfied with what they have and what they are, so
          they have no need for something more.

          When I went to Puerto Rico recently for my father's funeral, my sister
          could understand my actions, but my brothers could not. I had to spend
          three weeks defeding every little thing I did, because one of my
          brothers was bothered by literally everything I did, whether it was
          running, or praying, or visiting a sick uncle while my family was
          grieving.

          It was a shock to me, that people so closely related to me could not
          "relate" to what I was about, or what I was doing, could not "feel" me.

          I work in a retail store, and some of our customers, even those who
          might not understand fully what I do in spiritual terms (having a
          meditation teacher, practising meditation, etc.), are very spiritually
          alive, and I can talk about spiritual things with them, without them
          feeling threatened in any way. It is for me one of the most beautiful
          things to realise that many people, regardless of race, culture,
          religion or nationality, feel as I do. It gives me great joy and
          inspiration to talk to them.

          Going back to Melinda's point, just yesterday, a customer in our store
          was talking to me about her son. Her son has severe autism.

          We were talking about the need to remain happy , even when outer
          circumstances are not the best.

          She said she was happpy, and then mentioned her son as her main
          happiness. I was quite surprised, because I have seen her son,
          strapped in the back of her car, waiving his arms uncontrollably....

          She said that it is like being with an angel, so innocent! (He is all
          heart, because the mind is not there....)

          She is a spiritual person. There are "parents" who abuse
          their children, just because the child is crying for affection or
          food....and this person, who has to atttend to every need this "child"
          has (I think he is a teenager now) feels grateful and happy, because
          she is able to see the divine in him, his purity and innocence.

          Yes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

          May we all see the divine in ourselves and each other, so that we
          might bring the Kingdom of Heaven to Earth. Where is this Kingdom of
          Heaven? Right inside our hearts, in our good and divine qualities, and
          in the good and divine qualities of others.

          The sooner we can see the divine in ourselves and in others, the
          sooner this Kingdom of Heaven will be manifested on Earth.

          Kamalakanta

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, melinda_geelong
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > saw, I felt, I Knew, her Soul ever more closely, ever more
          > lovingly,
          > > as her dementia increased. Previously, throughout our lives
          > > together, I had never been able to look into my mother's eyes.
          > Now
          > > I could - not just into them - but deeply into them for they truly
          > > were the windows of the Soul. They were as pools of infinite
          > peace.
          > >
          > > Whenever I looked into them, it was as if I was transported to
          > some
          > > other world, to the land of Belovedness...'
          > >
          > > My own Grandma had alziemers and I had never really
          > understood the
          > > role it played in My life. I understood that Her Soul was having
          > an
          > > experience but I didn't accept the possibility that I could also
          > > share that experience in a spiritually nourishing way.

        • krandan_aus
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7 6:49 AM
            Karina and Melinda,
            My father in law ahs been slipping into dementia for the last 18
            months He is a lovely man who has cared for others all his life,been
            a devout churchgoer and has reached the ripe age of 95.He has always
            been a bit of a worrier warrier.I work away for periods of time and
            don't see him as often as I would like. My visits with him are
            exchanges of pure heart love for each other. As I walk in his usual
            greeting is a smile and "Where have you been?" His Mantra is I don't
            remember! Fortunately for now he still remembers me.I pray for his
            comfort peace and happiness.On the last occasion I visited him I was
            later than usual, and he was asleep.As I quietly approached him I sat
            down next to him in wonder and gratitude. His whole body was bathed
            in light and he was radiating peace and serenity. I knew then that
            this God Lover was being cared for on all levels.I took his hand,
            gently woke him and we talked as father and son, friend to friend.To
            see him so peaceful and shining with life and light as he was,
            touched my soul beautifully.This lovely man has his reward.He has
            found peace and comfort.His problems have slipped away.
            Thankyou for the post. Life - at all stages of life is cause for
            celebration and thankfulness for the Life Breath that sustains us.
            Krandan Geelong.