OT: Miscellaneous Camera Clicks

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18, 2007
      I don't even know how many people might have already read the newest
      issue of Inspiration Letters announced last week:
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/inspiration-letters/7/view
      but an article I wrote about change in this latest issue seemed to
      crystallize new developments in the world of photography for me.

      In the article, I talked about ways that my relationship to taking
      pictures has changed but that I have yet to graduate to a new camera -
      even though the one I own currently needs to be replaced from having
      dropped it.

      Putting thoughts into words and publishing them seemed to get the
      universe talking to me on this subject. At least three nights out of
      the last week I have been dreaming about trying to take pictures
      except the camera won't work. The first night it was rainbow after
      rainbow after rainbow. I woke up thinking I have to buy a camera that
      takes good rainbow pix. Other dreams followed on successive nights.
      The first night after the article appeared I came home to a huge photo
      B&H catalog (a big store in Manhattan as far as I can tell) in my
      mailbox - it was so long ago that I requested it to be mailed to me
      that I had forgotten I had even requested it.

      I had been in a holding pattern on what to buy because I was feeling
      torn about making the investment in a digital slr camera even though
      some have recommended that is the next logical step. If and when I buy
      one, I'm hankering for the Nikon d80. The tough part for me is that I
      don't already own any lenses from a previous camera. It would also be
      a new kind of battery, new kind of memory card, new kind of battery
      charger, new lens for telephoto, backpack to put it all in?... It all
      adds up - big time.

      I figured that one still needs to own a compact even if buying a SLR
      and was trying to decide what I could buy until I was ready for the
      investment in the slr. Then in that fashion one can count on when
      engaging in meditation and intuitive leanings for a good many years, I
      now know what I'm going to get even though it's not even for sale yet
      in the U.S. I've heard the "inner call" that the camera for me is the
      Olympus SP550 - coming out in March of this year. It is a 18x zoom
      with two kinds of stabilization, a 28 mm lens instead of the usual 24
      for these types of cameras and it supposedly does well in low light
      too. It takes the kind of memory card that I'm already invested in to
      the tune of 1.5 gigabytes and it uses the same kind of batteries as my
      current camera and charger as well - 4 AA. I first heard of it in the
      Popular Photography Magazines March 2007 issue and you can read a
      review of it just posted by this gentleman in Singapore where it is
      already for sale.
      http://scaredofthedark.typepad.com/blog/2007/02/olympus_sp550_r_4.html

      I am of course curious if Pavitrata has heard of it yet. And in
      anticipation of moving on to the next grade, I created an album of my
      favorite pix at:
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/members/sharani/bestshots/

      Most all of them feature my nascent attempts using Photoshop for
      editing as well and I think the verdict is still out on whether I'm
      getting the proper hang of editing in this software. Some of the
      pictures looked a lot more brilliant in the Photoshop mode than they
      do uploaded to my gallery album. I may switch back to the earlier
      version of some of them after seeing them uploaded to the Web. That
      won't have happened much yet by the time that this message posts though.

      I really look forward to taking photos with a new camera and hope the
      ultra 18x zoom allows me to get some close-ups of wildlife on the bike
      path. Funny how admitting and accepting that making change can be hard
      then opens up the space to let it happen after all. I like those kinds
      of changes...

      Last but not LEAST! I'm really missing that Pavitrata has not added
      any new photos lately to his album. I do hope that he will keep
      sharing his work with us on an ongoing basis. I'm positive I'm not the
      only one who must be missing new material or updates in his gallery album.

      I hope my habit of updating everyone here on the subject of cameras
      isn't too tedious. I have certainly been an avid reader of what others
      have to say on the subject so I can only hope that continuing the
      thread is valuable for at least some readers. Who knows? Maybe I'm not
      the only one who will be interested in the Olympus SP550 either...

      Sharani
    • pavitrata27
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
        Hi Sharani,

        Lost rainbow pix in your dreams! I got that T-shirt!

        The Olympus SP550 looks interesting! For another good review check

        http://tinyurl.com/3xkowp

        The SP550 is also out here in March, so I will check it out at my
        local camera shop and also ask them what they think. My only hand-
        wringer, why oh why, on what will be a very power hungry camera/lens
        (18x zoom) have they put in a AA battery system? The far more elegant
        Lithium-Ion system is SO efficient. I also really don't like
        electronic viewfinders, so for those reason alone its not a camera I
        would ever buy, at least not as a main camera.

        Personally, if I were you I would go for the Nikon D80 or the more
        petite and lighter Canon 400D (not the Nikon D40, its nowhere near as
        good as the D80 or Canon 400D at low light levels). Then if you need
        a compact go for something smaller and more portable....like the Fuji
        Finepix F30 (or the latest version the F31)

        Thanks for the Gallery bespeak (there's a good old English word!)
        For various reasons I haven't been out exploring as much as I would
        like to have been, so it has been quiet in my photo loka. I am
        working on a new photo album 'the small world' as I recently got a
        great little mint condition used macro lens for my camera. The
        inherent problem with macro pix are that they tend to be rather
        static, so its not easy getting good macro photos.

        In Photoshop make sure you have the correct colour space set if you
        are working for the Web.....go to Edit/Colour settings and make sure
        you have Web Graphic Defaults and then in the RGB box choose sRGB
        from the drop down menu. If you then make sure your pix are 50
        kilobytes or more when you click File/Save for Web (make sure you
        save them as JPEGs not GIFs) they shouldn't look too different online
        from they way they were in Photoshop. Also make sure your resizing is
        the very last thing you do after your editing or post processing.

        Hope that helps.

        Your 'Bestshots' album is excellent, I particularly like the Kamakura
        boardwalk scene photo, and also the Tsurugaoka monk. Also your
        Chicago album pix are great, far better than the ones I took when I
        was there a couple of years ago. What a city! I could so live there!

        click click...catch a rainbow!
        Pavitrata

> [...]
        kinds
        > of changes...
        >
        > Last but not LEAST! I'm really missing that Pavitrata has not added
        > any new photos lately to his album. I do hope that he will keep
        > sharing his work with us on an ongoing basis. I'm positive I'm not
        the
        > only one who must be missing new material or updates in his gallery
        album.

        > I hope my habit of updating everyone here on the subject of cameras
        > isn't too tedious. I have certainly been an avid reader of what
        others
        > have to say on the subject so I can only hope that continuing the
        > thread is valuable for at least some readers. Who knows? Maybe I'm
        not
        > the only one who will be interested in the Olympus SP550 either...

      • johnji_nz
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
          Since we are already off-topic, I'm sure Sharani won't mind me going
          further off-topic and quoting Sri Chinmoy on the spiritual
          significance of a rainbow. Or is that on-topic?

          "A rainbow is composed of seven colours and seven rays. A rainbow
          always means success and progress at the same time, even if that
          success and progress are not in the outer world. A rainbow signifies
          success, progress, divine victory — everything positive. When you see
          a rainbow, in the outer world you may not observe your success, but in
          the inner world, progress has taken place or is about to take place.
          Again, if it is not destined for you to have success or progress, then
          you are not going to see a rainbow. Even if the rainbow is there, you
          will be looking somewhere else. When you are walking, you will be
          looking at your feet to keep your balance. The rainbow will be there
          in the sky, but you will miss it. Then for you there will be no
          success, no progress. If you are meant to have success or progress,
          then even while driving the car, you will turn your gaze and you will
          see it. But if you are not going to make progress, you will be looking
          somewhere else. So always look at the sky. Do not look at the ground
          all the time."

          --Sri Chinmoy from Sri Chinmoy Answers, Part 9

          [unofficial]

> [...]
          > path. Funny how admitting and accepting that making change can be hard
          > then opens up the space to let it happen after all. I like those kinds
          > of changes...
          >
          > Last but not LEAST! I'm really missing that Pavitrata has not added
          > any new photos lately to his album. I do hope that he will keep
          > sharing his work with us on an ongoing basis. I'm positive I'm not the
          > only one who must be missing new material or updates in his gallery
          album.

          > I hope my habit of updating everyone here on the subject of cameras
          > isn't too tedious. I have certainly been an avid reader of what others
          > have to say on the subject so I can only hope that continuing the
          > thread is valuable for at least some readers. Who knows? Maybe I'm not
          > the only one who will be interested in the Olympus SP550 either...

        • jodybol
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
            Pavitrata and Sharani,
            No, I'm not bored.
            Thanks for the on-going camera conversation.
            I've been following it avidly as I do want to buy a new camera.

            My three primary requirements are:
            macro (seems like it should be micro) - shots of flowers and pieces thereof for example
            good zoom for wild animals while touristing
            fast to be able to take photos of my daughter's synchronized swimming where they often
            throw someone in the air doing somersaults and such.

            and I don't think I'm ready to take on all the lens and such of a SLR

            From the reviews (thanks both of you) it seems that the Olympus SP550 has a number of
            characteristics I'd like. - and some less attractive (having traveled in China with 20 AA
            batteries)
            Does it usually make sense to wait till the second year of a new model to get the kinks
            worked out and double check that the software/hardware - ie stabilization works as
            advertized?

            Other suggestions?

            thanks,

            jody

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, pavitrata27 <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > kinds
            > > of changes...
            > >
            > > Last but not LEAST! I'm really missing that Pavitrata has not added
            > > any new photos lately to his album. I do hope that he will keep
            > > sharing his work with us on an ongoing basis. I'm positive I'm not
            > the
            > > only one who must be missing new material or updates in his gallery
            > album.
            > >
            > > I hope my habit of updating everyone here on the subject of cameras
            > > isn't too tedious. I have certainly been an avid reader of what
            > others
            > > have to say on the subject so I can only hope that continuing the
            > > thread is valuable for at least some readers. Who knows? Maybe I'm
            > not
            > > the only one who will be interested in the Olympus SP550 either...

          • rathin31
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 21, 2007
              Do you know that if you're in an airplane, you can sometimes see a
              rainbow (outside) that is a perfect circle? Strange but true!
              Rathin

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, johnji_nz
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > path. Funny how admitting and accepting that making change can be hard
              > > then opens up the space to let it happen after all. I like those kinds
              > > of changes...
              > >
              > > Last but not LEAST! I'm really missing that Pavitrata has not added
              > > any new photos lately to his album. I do hope that he will keep
              > > sharing his work with us on an ongoing basis. I'm positive I'm not the
              > > only one who must be missing new material or updates in his gallery
              > album.
              > >
              > > I hope my habit of updating everyone here on the subject of cameras
              > > isn't too tedious. I have certainly been an avid reader of what others
              > > have to say on the subject so I can only hope that continuing the
              > > thread is valuable for at least some readers. Who knows? Maybe I'm not
              > > the only one who will be interested in the Olympus SP550 either...

            • cott_doris
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 21, 2007
                A full circle? I have never seen that.

                Sri Chinmoy's answer to the question of rainbows (see below) left me
                thinking about it.

                How often may we have already missed that opportunity?...to make
                progress...

                Not to speak of the inner experience of a rainbow?

                There is a cassette that I am still listening to from time to time.
                It is about 15 years old and is produced by Premik and Anadi. The
                group was called "Dreams that fly". The cover says:

                "My heart-dreams have rainbow-wings.
                I see them flying in the firmament
                Of Infinity's and Eternity's Joy-delight."

                -Sri Chinmoy

                I didn't find it on the Sri Chinmoy Radio site.

                I can't help but only imagine a childlike painting that shows a
                rainbow with wings - flying - and a heart drawn in the known way.

                How I wish I could feel more deeper what is said so beautifully by
                Guru or view more rainbows?

                Doris

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, rathin31
                <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > Last but not LEAST! I'm really missing that Pavitrata has not
                added
                > > > any new photos lately to his album. I do hope that he will keep
                > > > sharing his work with us on an ongoing basis. I'm positive I'm
                not the
                > > > only one who must be missing new material or updates in his
                gallery
                > > album.
                > > >
                > > > I hope my habit of updating everyone here on the subject of
                cameras
                > > > isn't too tedious. I have certainly been an avid reader of what
                others
                > > > have to say on the subject so I can only hope that continuing
                the
                > > > thread is valuable for at least some readers. Who knows? Maybe
                I'm not
                > > > the only one who will be interested in the Olympus SP550

              • carr_terri
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 23, 2007
                  HI Sharani,

                  My guess is that very few people have read Inspiration Letters VII
                  because when you follow your link...all you get is a page with
                  Mahiruha's intro to the issue. No articles seem to be viewable. I
                  have enjoyed many past issues of IL and I do not recall having to do
                  any special internet gymnastics to locate the content.

                  Perhaps you can see if the "letters" are actually viewable from your
                  link? Perhaps I am having trouble due to my outdated computer?

                  Just wondering...

                  Terri

> [...]
                  kinds
                  > of changes...
                  >
                  > Last but not LEAST! I'm really missing that Pavitrata has not added
                  > any new photos lately to his album. I do hope that he will keep
                  > sharing his work with us on an ongoing basis. I'm positive I'm not
                  the
                  > only one who must be missing new material or updates in his gallery
                  album.

                  > I hope my habit of updating everyone here on the subject of cameras
                  > isn't too tedious. I have certainly been an avid reader of what
                  others
                  > have to say on the subject so I can only hope that continuing the
                  > thread is valuable for at least some readers. Who knows? Maybe I'm
                  not
                  > the only one who will be interested in the Olympus SP550 either...

                • richard13_oxford
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007
                    I very much enjoyed reading all the contributions to the latest
                    edition of inspiration Letters. The standard of writing is very high.

                    http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/inspiration-letters/7

                    To view all the contributions just scroll down the page and you will
                    see all the articles displayed on that page for convenient viewing.

                    regards,

                    Richard

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, carr_terri
                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > kinds
                    > > of changes...
                    > >
                    > > Last but not LEAST! I'm really missing that Pavitrata has not added
                    > > any new photos lately to his album. I do hope that he will keep
                    > > sharing his work with us on an ongoing basis. I'm positive I'm not
                    > the
                    > > only one who must be missing new material or updates in his gallery
                    > album.
                    > >
                    > > I hope my habit of updating everyone here on the subject of cameras
                    > > isn't too tedious. I have certainly been an avid reader of what
                    > others
                    > > have to say on the subject so I can only hope that continuing the
                    > > thread is valuable for at least some readers. Who knows? Maybe I'm
                    > not
                    > > the only one who will be interested in the Olympus SP550 either...

                  • cott_doris
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007
                      No, Terri you don't. I have the same problem.

                      Doris

                      <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      added
                      > > any new photos lately to his album. I do hope that he will keep
                      > > sharing his work with us on an ongoing basis. I'm positive I'm
                      not
                      > the
                      > > only one who must be missing new material or updates in his
                      gallery
                      > album.
                      > >
                      > > I hope my habit of updating everyone here on the subject of
                      cameras
                      > > isn't too tedious. I have certainly been an avid reader of what
                      > others
                      > > have to say on the subject so I can only hope that continuing the
                      > > thread is valuable for at least some readers. Who knows? Maybe
                      I'm
                      > not
                      > > the only one who will be interested in the Olympus SP550 either...

                    • nelson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007
                        I feel i'm ready
                        ready to follow my espititual guide
                        ready to be better
                        ready to love more and more
                        ready to kill my ego
                        ready to be totally free
                        ready to be me
                        ready to be, to feel, to follow

                        Nelson

                        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, predrag_of_the_heart

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 25, 2007
                          Hi Terri,
                          If you keep vertically scrolling down past the issue introduction,
                          you'll come to a table listing all the articles (hyperlinked) with
                          pictures of the authors. Then if you keep scrolling, scrolling,
                          scrolling - each article continues underneath that table as well.

                          Maybe you thought it would link to them on separate pages. This issue,
                          however, is all one page like a long sheet of parchment that in olden
                          days would have stored rolled up and slowly unfurled as the local
                          Inspiration News Crier read it aloud.

                          So knowing now that it is one rather long vertically-oriented
                          document, we can tackle its extreme sport theme as if it was the high
                          jump. :-) ;-)

                          Although biased in perspective (as a contributor), I do recommend
                          checking it out again. Ashrita writes about breaking two Guinness
                          World records at a zoo in Connecticut. Palayti writes about her career
                          as a race car driver. Jogyata writes about jumping out of airplanes.
                          Arpan writes about running 3,100 miles. And yours truly balances the
                          score by talking about fear of the unknown, the difficulty of change
                          and how Sri Chinmoy offers guidance in navigating these waters that
                          people like me find somewhat daunting.

                          Sharani

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 25, 2007
                            Hi Jody,
                            I am not certain what camera would be best for you. I know you
                            mentioned not wanting a SLR but I do believe that is the type of
                            camera almost universally used for action/sports photography. One of
                            my coworkers takes lots of photos of her nephew playing sports with a
                            Canon Digital Rebel (earlier version than the XT1 that Pavitrata
                            talked about/owns). She said that all the newspaper sports
                            photographers, etc. seem to also use this same camera. So if you are
                            serious about your daughter as a primary subject then maybe this is
                            good to know. Non-SLR cameras just cannot click the shutter as fast.

                            As for batteries, my current camera uses 4AA and I have had excellent
                            results using lithium AA batteries which sell in the store for more
                            money than regular batteries but they do really "last 7 times longer"
                            in digital equipment like they claim. I typically change these AA
                            lithium batteries only once during my 3+ week-long trips and I
                            take a lot! of pictures. Therefore, I'm not too worried about the
                            Olympus camera taking AA batteries and in fact find that to be a plus.
                            When I'm in a foreign country, a proprietary battery means I have to
                            bring a special charger plus a voltage adaptor. Such is the fate of
                            Americans who very much go it alone on the subject of electricity,
                            temperature and measurements.

                            Good luck with your quest! To add a spiritual spin on the whole
                            subject, I definitely recommend meditating about which one is right.
                            Just inwardly ask. It's a tool many of us use (I assume) as part of
                            our spiritual lives and why not apply it to decisions of this nature
                            as well.

                            Sharani

                            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, jodybol <no_reply@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Pavitrata and Sharani,
                            > No, I'm not bored.
                            > Thanks for the on-going camera conversation.
                            > I've been following it avidly as I do want to buy a new camera.
                            >
                            > My three primary requirements are:
                            > macro (seems like it should be micro) - shots of flowers and pieces
                            thereof for example
                            > good zoom for wild animals while touristing
                            > fast to be able to take photos of my daughter's synchronized
                            swimming where they often
                            > throw someone in the air doing somersaults and such.
                            >
                            > and I don't think I'm ready to take on all the lens and such of a SLR
                            >
                            > From the reviews (thanks both of you) it seems that the Olympus
                            SP550 has a number of

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 25, 2007
                              Hi Pavitrata,
                              Thanks so much for replying for the umpteenth time on the subject of
                              cameras. But now I want to talk about Chicago. I have to agree with
                              you about Chicago being a great city. I'm guessing the Millennium Park
                              wasn't there when you went so you were spared the bottomless vortex of
                              fascination of taking pictures of the city seen through the "Bean" a
                              large oval shaped sculpture which is completely mirrored. The
                              Millennium Park website explains the following about the sculpture:

                              "Cloud Gate is British artist Anish Kapoor's first public outdoor work
                              installed in the United States. The 110-ton elliptical sculpture is
                              forged of a seamless series of highly polished stainless steel plates,
                              which reflect the city's famous skyline and the clouds above. A
                              12-foot-high arch provides a "gate" to the concave chamber beneath the
                              sculpture, inviting visitors to touch its mirror-like surface and see
                              their image reflected back from a variety of perspectives.

                              Inspired by liquid mercury, the sculpture is among the largest of its
                              kind in the world, measuring 66-feet long by 33-feet high. Cloud Gate
                              sits upon the At&T Plaza, which was made possible by a gift from AT&T.

                              'What I wanted to do in Millennium Park is make something that would
                              engage the Chicago skyline...so that one will see the clouds kind of
                              floating in, with those very tall buildings reflected in the work. And
                              then, since it is in the form of a gate, the participant, the viewer,
                              will be able to enter into this very deep chamber that does, in a way,
                              the same thing to one's reflection as the exterior of the piece is
                              doing to the reflection of the city around.'
                              -Anish Kapoor"

                              http://www.millenniumpark.org/artandarchitecture/cloud_gate.html

                              This statue, however, is not the only jewel in Chicago to say the
                              least. First and foremost there is the Chicago Sri Chinmoy Centre.
                              When the airlines cooperate with cheap tickets, I have happened upon
                              the tradition of going to Chicago for a long weekend in the merry
                              month of January. I use the word "merry" facetiously because some
                              think I'm crazy to go to Chicago in the dead of winter. It is
                              typically bitterly cold and snowy there in winter. The greater part of
                              the appeal is because it is a time of year when meditation activities
                              are quiet in New York and ordinarily I would be going to New York on
                              my free weekends otherwise.

                              A self-confessed lover of great food, there's that other pull of the
                              excellent repasts to be had at Victory's Banner Restaurant as well.
                              This restaurant run by Sri Chinmoy's students is a first-class
                              establishment. If you visit their website at
                              http://www.victorysbanner.com you can read all the accolades heaped
                              upon them by different city guides to dining. They were even featured
                              on a public television show that reviews area restaurants and got a
                              big thumbs up. This restaurant is worth a plane ride to experience!
                              All the other divine enterprises please forgive me but I would be
                              ready to wager hard coin to bet that they would win if the enterprise
                              restaurants had a cook-off competition.

                              After you eat your fill at Victory's Banner, you can walk off the food
                              by heading downtown. Get off the elevated train at the Library stop
                              and if you pop inside, be prepared for a gargantuan building that
                              involves escalator rides up and down to numerous levels. This is a big
                              library! Then you can walk over to Michigan Avenue, home to the
                              Magnificent Mile. Shortly you will arrive at the Art Institute of
                              Chicago, one of the foremost art museums in the U.S. I spent an
                              afternoon there and sincerely hope that Pavitrata had the opportunity
                              to go there as well. This museum has some fabulous collections. Since
                              my only study of art history was in the context of my courses in
                              French, I just had to start in the Impressionist galleries of the museum.

                              I'm no expert but I loved viewing well-known works of art by artists
                              such as Renoir, Cezanne, Pissaro, Van Gogh, Monet, Manet,
                              Toulouse-Lautrec, Seurat, etc. It felt meaningful to observe the
                              three-dimensionality of the paint texture on the canvas and I noticed
                              a repetition of techniques that I have encountered in the art of
                              photography as well. Often part of a subject of the painting would be
                              partially missing from the edge of the picture, creating a touch of
                              mystery for what might be around the corner of your perception. Brush
                              strokes might all radiate toward one direction to create a feeling of
                              focal point. And the play of colour and light in paintings such as the
                              six Monet haystack paintings side by side somehow brings tears to my
                              eyes.

                              Having just visited Turkey, I also took great interest in their
                              special exhibits centered on the Silk Road. They have an excellent
                              collection of Asian art that includes several statues of the goddess
                              Kannon. In the American gallery, you can view Edward Hopper's
                              "Nighthawks" painting, Grant Wood's "American Gothic" and some
                              gorgeous paintings by Georgia O'Keefe.

                              I could go on and on about the Art Institute of Chicago but who knows
                              maybe my meditative side is also resonating with the fact that Swami
                              Vivekananda gave a speech here in 1893 during the Parliament of World
                              Religions.

                              If you have worked up an appetite yet for another meal, then it's time
                              to head to Giordano's Pizza. This pizza has been called the best pizza
                              in America by the NBC television Today Show and is considered the
                              penultimate Chicago pizza experience. Please note the founder is from
                              Italy. Apparently there is quite a debate within the Sri Chinmoy
                              Centre about who has the best pizza - New York or Chicago. I'll leave
                              that tale for another day.

                              Last but not least, you can top it all off with a night-time visit to
                              the 95th floor of the John Hancock building for a panoramic view of
                              the city from on high. For the mere cost of an over-priced soft drink,
                              you can sit and gaze at the city lights.

                              Chicago is a wonderful city. Some Americans who have hugged either the
                              East or West coast have the mistaken notion that America's Midwestern
                              heartland lacks any charm or sophistication. If they miss out on what
                              Chicago has to offer for that reason, it is their loss. The poet Carl
                              Sandburg called Chicago the city of the big shoulders and I feel they
                              rub shoulders with the best that any has to offer.

                              Sharani

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 27, 2007
                                Terri,

                                Hi!

                                I just read your reply to Sharani, so of course I followed her link.
                                It seems to work fine.

                                If you look further down on the page where Mahiruha's introduction is
                                found, you will see that all the "Letters" are there, first as links
                                in one big window, with photographs of each author, and then further
                                down one by one displayed in full text, and some contain pictures, too!

                                Kamalakanta

                                <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > kinds
                                > > of changes...
                                > >
                                > > Last but not LEAST! I'm really missing that Pavitrata has not added
                                > > any new photos lately to his album. I do hope that he will keep
                                > > sharing his work with us on an ongoing basis. I'm positive I'm not
                                > the
                                > > only one who must be missing new material or updates in his gallery
                                > album.
                                > >
                                > > I hope my habit of updating everyone here on the subject of cameras
                                > > isn't too tedious. I have certainly been an avid reader of what
                                > others
                                > > have to say on the subject so I can only hope that continuing the
                                > > thread is valuable for at least some readers. Who knows? Maybe I'm
                                > not
                                > > the only one who will be interested in the Olympus SP550 either...

                              • richard13_oxford
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 27, 2007
                                  I happened to check
                                  http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/inspiration-letters/7 in Internet
                                  Explorer and for some reason it only shows the introduction.

                                  Using Mozilla browser it displays as it should.

                                  There will be some technical reason for this, but for general browsing
                                  I do recommend downloading and using mozilla firefox:

                                  http://www.firefox2.com/

                                  - it is quite easy to download and has several benefits over IE.

                                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > kinds
                                  > > of changes...
                                  > >
                                  > > Last but not LEAST! I'm really missing that Pavitrata has not added
                                  > > any new photos lately to his album. I do hope that he will keep
                                  > > sharing his work with us on an ongoing basis. I'm positive I'm not
                                  > the
                                  > > only one who must be missing new material or updates in his gallery
                                  > album.
                                  > >
                                  > > I hope my habit of updating everyone here on the subject of cameras
                                  > > isn't too tedious. I have certainly been an avid reader of what
                                  > others
                                  > > have to say on the subject so I can only hope that continuing the
                                  > > thread is valuable for at least some readers. Who knows? Maybe I'm
                                  > not
                                  > > the only one who will be interested in the Olympus SP550 either...

                                • pavitrata27
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 28, 2007
                                    Hi Sharani

                                    Re Chicago, the 'Bean' was being restored when I was there, but I
                                    still had an amazing time...it was mid-summer. Hot, but nice breezes
                                    off the lake. I hired bikes and did lots of serious exploring, around
                                    the city as well as the lake shore. Less frantic than New York but
                                    still with that big city buzz I felt right at home in Chicago. As you
                                    say the Victory's Banner food is superb, and the hospitality and
                                    welcome they offer is truly exceptional.

                                    Of course I had to do a lot research re NY vs Chicago pizza but at the
                                    end of the day Chicago got my vote after finding a pizza place that
                                    was pure organic.

                                    I wish I had more time to have explored the many places you mention,
                                    maybe another year. Your observations about painting are very
                                    perceptive. A painter at heart, I still have this sneaking suspicion
                                    that photography may be the 'fast food' of the art world. And as
                                    addictive.

                                    Re Swami Vivekananda: after his great reception in Chicago he came to
                                    London, I found the house in London where he stayed and gave lectures,
                                    it is still there. Check out the photo page on my Gallery for more
                                    details of this:

                                    http://tinyurl.com/2m9qxd

                                    Re the Olympus, I have read a few hands on reviews, they all look good.

                                    One thing many experienced photographers will be interested in is that
                                    the camera offers the facility to take pictures in the RAW format.
                                    Virtually all compact and 'bridge' (half way between compact and SLR
                                    interchangeable lens)only take photos in varying resolutions of JPEG
                                    mode. With all JPEG photos, however high the resolution, there is some
                                    loss of quality as the camera uses inbuilt programming to compress the
                                    image and also in most cases tweak the color and sharpness. In the RAW
                                    format there is no data loss, no tinkering with the image, it simply
                                    records in the highest quality what is coming through the lens.
                                    The downside is that the more common simpler image editing programs
                                    don't allow image editing in RAW mode, and the image needs to be
                                    converted.

                                    What is impressive, if it is to be believed, is the claimed 530 shot
                                    battery life. Speaking to my camera shop honchos, my view of AA's is
                                    outdated. New circuitry and improved camera and battery technology
                                    have moved things on. Also a significant factor is that the camera
                                    uses the smaller xD memory cards. These use considerably less battery
                                    power than the bigger compact flash cards. This is not a problem for
                                    SLRs, which generally use compact flash cards, as they have big
                                    batteries, but is a problem for small cameras that use the compact
                                    flash system.

                                    Sample shots in wide and medium telephoto look fine, but I can't say I
                                    am impressed by the quality of the far end of the zoom photos. Still,
                                    as the camera also offers a good macro facility it will I am sure be a
                                    camera many people will be happy with.

                                    Pavitrata