Happy New Year 2007!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hello everyone and happy new year!
      I celebrated a belated Christmas with family and New Year's Arizona
      desert style this year. The temperature was a little colder than usual
      out there for this time of year so with New Year's Day at 55F on the
      East Coast and at 60ish in the Southwest desert there wasn't much of a
      difference. Certainly the bright sun and cactus were different though!

      My mother had put a large Agave stalk in a pot in the front yard and
      wrapped red and gold ribbon around the stalk and hung shiny red and
      gold ball ornaments on the branches. There were some blossoms on the
      branch as well and it sat right outside the view from the windows by
      their kitchen table.

      To my total delight, hummingbirds were quite entranced with the shiny
      bright red colours on the Agave and kept coming all day long to drink
      from the blossoms. I guess hummingbirds like the colour red and this
      holiday yard decoration turned into a hummingbird feeder. I could
      hardly drag myself away what with trying to catch good photos of the
      hummingbird and other birds in the yard. Some of those might follow later.

      We went to a recreation of the American West - a street that was
      supposed to be like the times of the cowboys in the American West in
      the 1800's. It was called "Rawhide" and as I looked at the covered
      wagons and such I wondered if the U.S. is one of the only places with
      this flavor of history. Maybe also some places in South America and
      Australia/New Zealand? I mention the latter as I remember Shardul's
      tales of herding cattle.

      I actually have relatives who left behind written accounts of their
      own travels by covered wagon as they migrated across the country back
      at that time. This pioneer spirit is something I "brand" as a very
      formative aspect of what the American character comprises.

      But the New Year is a time to look forward and I'm here writing about
      America's past. When I think of the poems and essays by Sri Chinmoy
      that I have read, one theme which appears again and again is the power
      of newness and fresh beginnings. I'm glad it is a new year and hope to
      learn soon Sri Chinmoy's New Year's Message for 2007. Since every day
      even begins anew, I close with a quote from "My Morning Begins" which
      is available full text at:
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/morning-begins/

      My morning begins,
      And I closely listen