Re: OT Days of My Life

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 2006
      I have to say that I sympathise more with Doris than with
      Mahiruha....after all, we are having one of the warmest winters in New
      York history...but having said that, hear my case!

      In my country (Puerto Rico) it is at least 80 degrees Farenheit,
      except when it rains and in the mountains (which compared to the
      mountains here, are just small hills- I think our tallest one is 1,000
      feet high-). You stand in the shade and you are sweating--then you go
      into a small cafeteria, order a shot of hot coffee ( no iced stuff,
      thank you very much), drink it and sweat some more.....and then this
      big smile comes accross your face: you are ready for the rest of the day!

      There is a big debate as to whether this act of smiling comes from
      being in a tropical country where it is never cold, or whether it is
      because you are addicted to coffee and just had a shot of it coursing
      through your body, giving you this "AAAAHHHHHHH!" sensation of relief,
      or whether you are just counting your blessings, realising you are NOT
      in New York for the winter, or in some God-forsaken place in Europe,
      freezing as well, and you know that both God and your mother love you.

      Oh, well, let me turn the heater on, while I listen to Christmas
      Carols...ah, New York! How I wish I was already on the Christmas Trip!

      Kamalakanta

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, cott_doris
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > See, God never forgets his children.
      >
      > Sitting in an smoker internet cafe I better leave now and I wish
      > everybody a HAPPY NEW YEAR - and I mean it.
      >
      > Doris
      >

      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, priyadarshan44
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dearest Mahiruha,
      > >
      > > I am now in a very cold place as well, and I feel what you mean.
      > > I must say your post topped "My Dinner with Andre"'s best moments.
      > > Your post warmed up my day with your humour,
      > > maybe almost as dry as this winter morning.
      > >
      > > Thank you, and see you soon!
      > >
      > > Priyadarshan
      > >
      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, mahiruha_27
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > There are many words I can't spell. I don't know how to spell
      > > > "embarrassed", for example- I'm too lazy to use my Word for
      > Windows
      > > > spell checker- and I don't give a damn that I'm typing all of
      > this in
      > > > Safari and that tihs artice will feature crazy word wraps or
      > that the
      > > > word "tihs" does not exist in the English language and should
      > have
      > > > been "this" but I don't feel like correcting it and if you don't
      > like
      > > > it, well that's not my problem, you can read any of the other
      > posts.
      > > >
      > > > And I realize, dear friends, that this post is already too long
      > and
      > > > has not yet begun to make the slightest sense, and probably will
      > > > never make sense. Oh, well.
      > > >
      > > > Anyway, it's mid winter and I hate winter and I wish it were
      > summer
      > > > but it's not summer and I hate the cold and I hate the snow and
      > I hate
      > > > the whole northeastern sea board and I wish I was in Hawaii or
      > Malibu
      > > > or somewhere where it's not cold and dark and drizzly and awful
      > but
      > > > what the hell- a New York winter has its pleasures also, I just
      > can't
      > > > think of any.
      > > >
      > > > And I still haven't watched "My Dinner with Andre" all the way
      > through
      > > > which is a shame because it's a movie that every educated person
      > is
      > > > supposed to have seen but I think it's boring and I don't catch
      > the
      > > > bon mots and cultural references, they're over my head and I'm
      > tired
      > > > of watching my tapes of daytime television that I've recorded
      > while
      > > > I'm at work- they're not bad enough to be funny anymore and the
      > > > dialogue is so predictable and I went to college with some of the
      > > > actors- and now they're rich and famous actors, but I'm not
      > bitter
      > > > I mean how can you be jealous of people who make their lives

    • jodybol
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
        I just came across this quote from Thomas Jefferson,and was intriqued
        by the way the world moves in cycles:

        Jefferson:

        "A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass over,
        their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight,
        restore their government to its true principles. It is true that in
        the meantime we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the
        horrors of a war and long oppressions of enormous public debt......If
        the game runs sometimes against us at home we must have patience till
        luck turns, and then we shall have an opportunity of winning back the
        principles we have lost, for this is a game where principles are at
        stake."
        --Thomas Jefferson, 1798, after the passage of the Sedition Act.

        jody
      • arpan_deangelo
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
          Thanks Jody,
          Inspiring, yet eerily apropos. More Jefferson please!
          Gratefully,
          Arpan

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, jodybol <no_reply@...>
          wrote:

          > I just came across this quote from Thomas Jefferson,and was intriqued
          > by the way the world moves in cycles:
          >
          > Jefferson:
          >
          > "A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass over,
          > their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight,
          > restore their government to its true principles. It is true that in
          > the meantime we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the
          > horrors of a war and long oppressions of enormous public debt......If
          > the game runs sometimes against us at home we must have patience till
          > luck turns, and then we shall have an opportunity of winning back the
          > principles we have lost, for this is a game where principles are at
          > stake."
          > --Thomas Jefferson, 1798, after the passage of the Sedition Act.
          >

          > jody

        • bernice131313
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 8, 2007
            This subject heading got my immediate attention!

            A little while back, a work colleague of mine, on seeing the Thomas
            Jefferson book "Light and Liberty" on my desk, told me about a
            famous statement that President John F Kennedy made at an address at
            a White House dinner honoring Nobel Prize winners in April 1962. (I
            got this version from wikiquote.)

            "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of
            human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together at the White
            House, with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined
            alone."

            Bernice
            Canberra Centre

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > I just came across this quote from Thomas Jefferson,and was
            intriqued
            > by the way the world moves in cycles:
            >
            > Jefferson:
            >
            > "A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass
            over,
            > their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight,
            > restore their government to its true principles. It is true that in
            > the meantime we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the
            > horrors of a war and long oppressions of enormous public
            debt......If
            > the game runs sometimes against us at home we must have patience
            till
            > luck turns, and then we shall have an opportunity of winning back
            the
            > principles we have lost, for this is a game where principles are at
            > stake."
            > --Thomas Jefferson, 1798, after the passage of the Sedition Act.
            >

            > jody

          • chv_bhaskar
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 8, 2007
              [Dear Bhaskar,

              For your online safety, please make sure to follow the instructions below:

              1) Set your member preferences to hide your email address
              To help stay safe online, please set your member preferences
              so that your email address will not be visible.
              After joining, click on this link (it will open in a new window):

              Check the box where it says "Hide my email and IP address from the group
              moderators"
              Under "Message Delivery", select "No email. Don't send me emails..."
              Under "Message Format", select "Do not convert to HTML..."
              Save/Accept the changes
              Make sure you save the changes (click on "Save Changes"). Now when you
              post, your email
              address will not be visible to the public.

              2) Turn off invitations

              First click on this link (it will open in a new window):

              If you are asked to sign in, do so now.
              Once you have signed in, a page listing your known email addresses
              will appear.
              To the far right of each email address is the word "Edit" in blue.
              Click on it.
              Under "Group Invitations" you will see checkboxes which say:

              Allow group moderators to directly add me to their groups.
              Allow group moderators to invite me to their groups.

              By default, both boxes are checked. Uncheck both boxes.
              Click the Save Changes button.
              Repeat steps 2-3 for every email account listed.

              Thank you!
              Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group moderators]

              Hi Group

              I am a new member. I practise meditation and self hypnotism.
              I have a doubt from many years. that is what is the difference between
              the hypnotic mind state and meditative state. Please clarify.

              Thanking you.
              ch v bhaskar
            • sarah_inseattle
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 8, 2007
                Hi Bernice,
                Wow, I have never heard this quote before! And me an American,
                even. Thank you so much for sharing it.

                Sarah
                Seattle

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bernice131313
                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > This subject heading got my immediate attention!
                >
                > A little while back, a work colleague of mine, on seeing the
                Thomas
                > Jefferson book "Light and Liberty" on my desk, told me about a
                > famous statement that President John F Kennedy made at an address
                at
                > a White House dinner honoring Nobel Prize winners in April 1962.
                (I
                > got this version from wikiquote.)
                >
                > "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of
                > human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together at the White
                > House, with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined
                > alone."
                >

                > Bernice
                > Canberra Centre
                >

                > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, jodybol
                > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I just came across this quote from Thomas Jefferson,and was
                > intriqued
                > > by the way the world moves in cycles:
                > >
                > > Jefferson:
                > >
                > > "A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass
                > over,
                > > their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true
                sight,
                > > restore their government to its true principles. It is true that
                in
                > > the meantime we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the
                > > horrors of a war and long oppressions of enormous public
                > debt......If
                > > the game runs sometimes against us at home we must have patience
                > till
                > > luck turns, and then we shall have an opportunity of winning
                back
                > the
                > > principles we have lost, for this is a game where principles are
                at
                > > stake."
                > > --Thomas Jefferson, 1798, after the passage of the Sedition Act.
                > >

                > > jody

              • johnji_nz
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 8, 2007
                  Hi Bhaskar,

                  I was about to write a long-winded, detailed answer to your question,
                  but then it occurred to me to quote instead a far better authority:
                  Sri Chinmoy. I hope this is of some use.

                  Quotes on hypnotism by Sri Chinmoy (all found at
                  http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com)

                  Question: What is the difference between hypnotism and Yoga?

                  Sri Chinmoy: I am not an authority on hypnotism. What I am qualified
                  to talk about is spirituality and Yoga. In Yoga, when you are
                  meditating, you are dealing with consciousness. But when you are
                  hypnotised, you are not conscious. In Yoga you are aspiring; there is
                  an inner mounting flame inside you that wants to climb high, higher,
                  highest to reach the goal of realisation and perfection. In
                  meditation, nobody is forcing you to realise the highest Truth. It is
                  your inner cry that is compelling you to realise the Highest.

                  ---

                  (From a talk entitled 'Mysticism')

                  "Poor Hinduism. Whenever and wherever mysticism is looked down upon,
                  Hinduism is considered the main culprit. There are many sophisticated
                  Westerners who not only fail to understand the lofty Hindu mysticism,
                  but badly misunderstand it. To them I want to say that Hindu mysticism
                  is not, as they think, self-hypnotism or self-deception, but rather
                  soulful oneness with Immortality's Life, Infinity's Heart and
                  Eternity's Breath. To know Hinduism well, one has to practise Yoga,
                  usually under the direct guidance of a spiritual adept."

                  Regards,

                  John-Paul

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 8, 2007
                    Dear Chv Bhaskar,

                    There is definitely a difference between meditation and self-hypnosis.

                    I found this answer by Sri Chinmoy:

                    Question: Is there any difference between meditation and self-hypnosis?

                    Sri Chinmoy: Yes. When we meditate, we become a perfect channel
                    through which the Reality above us can flow. Here we surrender
                    entirely to God's Will. "Let Thy Will be done": This is the acme of
                    meditation. We bring down God's boundless Peace, Light and Bliss on
                    the strength of our soulful meditation, and this Peace, Light and
                    Bliss operates in and through us according to our capacity of
                    receptivity.

                    But when we enter into the realm of self-hypnosis, we try to impose on
                    our subconscious plane certain ideas or even ideals. We convince
                    ourselves this is what has happened or this is what is going to
                    happen. We try to bring to the fore, either from the subconscious
                    world or from the inconscient world proper, thoughts which are not
                    predominant or which have not yet come to the fore. We unconsciously
                    or subconsciously bring up these ideas and make ourselves feel that
                    these are realities which we once upon a time lived or which we are
                    going to live in the near or distant future. So in the subconscious
                    mind, formulated ideas or ideals operate.

                    But when we soulfully meditate, we go far beyond the realm of the
                    thought-world. Here nature's Dance comes to an end. All thought-waves
                    cease and we see reality in its pristine form.

                    Sri Chinmoy

                    I hope this answers your question...

                    Kamalakanta