Re: Quietude

  • upasanayoung
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2006
      Sharani, how right you are!

      The stillness of Japan is exquisite, and even when one is in Ginza,
      the Tokyo mecca for colour, light and sound, one never feels engulfed
      by the screaming madness of Times Square.

      As a newcomer to the Inspiration-Group, am just picking up the
      banter-thread, admire your constancy, and hope to join you on a more
      regular basis for web musings!

      Upasana

      > One of the things that I loved about my first ever visit to Japan
      was the quality of stillness
      > that seemed to permeate wherever I visited. The subway at rush hour
      was so quiet you
      > could have heard a pin drop and my sometimes shy nature seemed to
      resonate with the
      > reserved hush that accompanied one's public interactions with the
      world around you.

      > Now I perhaps contradict myself because the quality of silence when
      expressed on the
      > Inspiration Group finds me wishing for an occasional chance to share
      in conversation and
      > banter on this newsgroup. I can tick off so many names that used to
      share camaraderie
      > here that haven't written here lately. Ironically, the number of
      members has increased
      > lately too. We're up to 917 people... I used to figure that if my
      often casual banter bravely
      > posted - well then surely all and sundry would throw shyness to the
      wind and share a post
      > or too as well. Looking at the ratio of members to posters, I now
      fear I quite overestimated
      > things with this notion.
      >
      > One time recently I was reading about blogging and its purpose, etc.
      and by following
      > various threads came across posts where people were lamenting that
      nobody seemed to
      > post anymore, etc. I was smiling to myself as I read this discussion
      which sounded far too
      > familiar to some of my hopefully not too frequent lamentations. One
      place (I think it was
      > Utne Magazine) actually tried to start a process wherein people
      actually met for live
      > discussion groups because the sense of community from a newsgroup
      could seem and be
      > so fragile and fleeting. Maybe some people who used to write here
      have ended up
      > contacting local opportunities to learn meditation based on Sri
      Chinmoy's philosophy or
      > have become students of Sri Chinmoy and are pursuing this online
      niche of the centre less
      > than in the past.
      >
      > Ultimately there is no controlling whether or when someone might
      decide to take a few
      > moments of time to put into writing how Sri Chinmoy has influenced
      their life or how
      > spirituality in general expresses itself in their day-to-day
      existence. When feeling that
      > conversation has gone on holiday lately, I can always just feel
      grateful for all the times that

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2006
        Hi Upasana,
        I am ready and willing to share a little banter with you! As you know, when the Internet
        connection at the hotel we are both staying at is spotty at best then this task is easier said
        than done. Also, I have been so immersed in meditative pursuits with a dash of
        sightseeing thrown in. Since my camera is a bit under the weather, I also have been
        preoccupied with loading photos and analyzing which ones came out normally. So many
        are blurry or a very strange colour exposure. I do hope to salvage enough to eventually
        share a slightly enhanced album. Given the editing needed for that task, I expect a finished
        album of my recent trip may not happen as quickly as some other times.

        Sharani
        p.s. too bad the chocolate fountain is part of one rather expensive fixed fee for high tea!
        Otherwise I would probably be lining up for a sample.
        p.p.s. what a relief it is to finally feel that my brain is starting to function more normally.
        Amazingly to me however, if I touch the still prominent bump on the back of my head it
        still pains me. Perhaps it's like a broken bone where they say that for as long as a year
        afterwards one might still experience twinges in the location of the injury. I'm just happy
        that I'm less of a full-fledged space cadet than in recent weeks. So come at me with your
        wittiest repartee and we'll see if I'm up to returning the ball to your court without it getting
        stuck in the net. :-)