Quietude

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
      One of the things that I loved about my first ever visit to Japan was the quality of stillness
      that seemed to permeate wherever I visited. The subway at rush hour was so quiet you
      could have heard a pin drop and my sometimes shy nature seemed to resonate with the
      reserved hush that accompanied one's public interactions with the world around you.

      Now I perhaps contradict myself because the quality of silence when expressed on the
      Inspiration Group finds me wishing for an occasional chance to share in conversation and
      banter on this newsgroup. I can tick off so many names that used to share camaraderie
      here that haven't written here lately. Ironically, the number of members has increased
      lately too. We're up to 917 people... I used to figure that if my often casual banter bravely
      posted - well then surely all and sundry would throw shyness to the wind and share a post
      or too as well. Looking at the ratio of members to posters, I now fear I quite overestimated
      things with this notion.

      One time recently I was reading about blogging and its purpose, etc. and by following
      various threads came across posts where people were lamenting that nobody seemed to
      post anymore, etc. I was smiling to myself as I read this discussion which sounded far too
      familiar to some of my hopefully not too frequent lamentations. One place (I think it was
      Utne Magazine) actually tried to start a process wherein people actually met for live
      discussion groups because the sense of community from a newsgroup could seem and be
      so fragile and fleeting. Maybe some people who used to write here have ended up
      contacting local opportunities to learn meditation based on Sri Chinmoy's philosophy or
      have become students of Sri Chinmoy and are pursuing this online niche of the centre less
      than in the past.

      Ultimately there is no controlling whether or when someone might decide to take a few
      moments of time to put into writing how Sri Chinmoy has influenced their life or how
      spirituality in general expresses itself in their day-to-day existence. When feeling that
      conversation has gone on holiday lately, I can always just feel grateful for all the times that
      something shared here in conversation did enrich my perspective on the world and the
      great beautiful game called life.

      Sharani
    • upasanayoung
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2006
        Sharani, how right you are!

        The stillness of Japan is exquisite, and even when one is in Ginza,
        the Tokyo mecca for colour, light and sound, one never feels engulfed
        by the screaming madness of Times Square.

        As a newcomer to the Inspiration-Group, am just picking up the
        banter-thread, admire your constancy, and hope to join you on a more
        regular basis for web musings!

        Upasana

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2006
          Hi Upasana,
          I am ready and willing to share a little banter with you! As you know, when the Internet
          connection at the hotel we are both staying at is spotty at best then this task is easier said
          than done. Also, I have been so immersed in meditative pursuits with a dash of
          sightseeing thrown in. Since my camera is a bit under the weather, I also have been
          preoccupied with loading photos and analyzing which ones came out normally. So many
          are blurry or a very strange colour exposure. I do hope to salvage enough to eventually
          share a slightly enhanced album. Given the editing needed for that task, I expect a finished
          album of my recent trip may not happen as quickly as some other times.

          Sharani
          p.s. too bad the chocolate fountain is part of one rather expensive fixed fee for high tea!
          Otherwise I would probably be lining up for a sample.
          p.p.s. what a relief it is to finally feel that my brain is starting to function more normally.
          Amazingly to me however, if I touch the still prominent bump on the back of my head it
          still pains me. Perhaps it's like a broken bone where they say that for as long as a year
          afterwards one might still experience twinges in the location of the injury. I'm just happy
          that I'm less of a full-fledged space cadet than in recent weeks. So come at me with your
          wittiest repartee and we'll see if I'm up to returning the ball to your court without it getting
          stuck in the net. :-)