OT: Time for a new camera?

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2006
      I forgot that messages created in Safari and submitted to the Inspiration Group
      automatically insert a funny partial line word wrap. Sorry that my recent messages
      featured this visual distraction. I am attempting to write in the Mac's textedit feature to
      see if that makes a difference. I only have the Safari browser on the computer I am
      borrowing so I will see if this is a good workaround for wraparound of lines in a proper
      fashion.

      I may be asking for camera advice soon from some of our members who like to take
      photographs. While my camera did not break when I fell and it too went flying through the
      air with a rough landing, I am now realizing that something in it must be damaged. Having
      loaded photos onto the computer from my trip and working with them in Iphoto, I see that
      perhaps 80 percent of them are somehow defective. The few that I worked with to get to a
      decent state required serious and drastic editing of things that should have been
      automatic. Perhaps I will bring it to a camera shop in the next place with a town nearby. Or
      I may have to buy a new camera.

      I guess my camera has its own version of a knock to the noggin as well. Now I just have to
      be patient and accept that it will be much more difficult to get good photographs on this
      vacation. I may load a few before I come home. There are at least a few that I like after
      much fussing with the brightness, etc.

      I hope if not many visuals wing their way over the Web that you can imagine instead that I
      am sending a comparable measure of goodwill and good wishes because so many of my
      fellow travellers carry our extended family inside our hearts.

      Sharani
    • pavitrata27
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
        Hi Sharani,

        Welcome to the DCC (dropped camera club), I think I am up to seven
        that were bad enough to be write-offs.

        You could look at the bijou Canon F30, I have one, am delighted with
        it, it won the European Compact Camera of the Year Award. Personally
        I feel your photography has progressed so well that you are ready
        for a digital SLR. You could look at the new Canon 400D or the new
        Nikon D40, both very light and portable.

        All the above are digital.

        I hope you are healing well.

        Best wishes,
        Pavitrata

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2006
          Hi Pavitrata,
          Thanks for taking the time to suggest some cameras for me to look at. I have never heard
          of the one that won the award you mention and will check it out. I must say I am finding
          out just how hopelessly hooked I am on taking pictures now that it's driving me slightly
          crazy that so many shots I try to take aren't coming out right. Interior shots - forget it! As
          the daylight wanes, same story! At least I know that dropping a camera can be part of the
          territory once a hobby reaches the next level of commitment.

          Sharani
          p.s. thankfully I am finally on the mend. However, I cannot promise that means any great
          missives are waiting in the wings. Right now I am too tired in that contented kind of way
          from having done lots of sightseeing today. I wish I was staying here more than a mere
          week. It is extraordinarily beautiful. I'll have to try to shift into travelogue mode soon and
          see if I can convey it.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2006
            Hi Pavitrata,
            Now that I am settled back at home, I finally inquired about repairing
            my camera and found out that it would probably cost almost as much as
            I paid for it - hence not very cost effective.

            So I have begun mulling over the next step. I'm replying to your
            message below with a question about the bijou Canon F30. Can you point
            me to anything about it on the Internet? I'm not finding it in the
            U.S. version of Google and even tried Google Europe but I don't seem
            to be pulling anything up by searching "bijou Canon F30".

            As for graduating to my first SLR, I just checked out the Jan 2007
            issue of Popular Photography magazine to myself from the library
            because it has the Nikon D40 on the cover. I may be sold on this one
            because they say to "consider this if you want to move up from a
            point-and-shoot with a minimal learning curve."

            Since I am a novice about using cameras with lenses, I am wondering
            how commonly people use this type of camera when out for a day of
            sightseeing in a foreign country or for when I'm out walking on the
            bike path. Is it true that any zoom at all comes only from attachable
            lenses (please don't laugh loud enough to carry across the Atlantic if
            I'm unknowingly playing the fool). So I guess I'm trying to imagine
            how cumbersome it would be?

            Thanks for offering advice. Learning more about this stuff seems a
            little overwhelming so pointers are always appreciated.

            Sharani

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sharani,
            >
            > Welcome to the DCC (dropped camera club), I think I am up to seven
            > that were bad enough to be write-offs.
            >
            > You could look at the bijou Canon F30, I have one, am delighted with
            > it, it won the European Compact Camera of the Year Award. Personally
            > I feel your photography has progressed so well that you are ready
            > for a digital SLR. You could look at the new Canon 400D or the new
            > Nikon D40, both very light and portable.
            >
            > All the above are digital.
            >
            > I hope you are healing well.
            >
            > Best wishes,
            > Pavitrata

            > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I forgot that messages created in Safari and submitted to the
            > Inspiration Group
            > > automatically insert a funny partial line word wrap. Sorry that my
            > recent messages
            > > featured this visual distraction. I am attempting to write in the
            > Mac's textedit feature to
            > > see if that makes a difference. I only have the Safari browser on
            > the computer I am
            > > borrowing so I will see if this is a good workaround for
            > wraparound of lines in a proper
            > > fashion.
            > >
            > > I may be asking for camera advice soon from some of our members
            > who like to take
            > > photographs. While my camera did not break when I fell and it too
            > went flying through the
            > > air with a rough landing, I am now realizing that something in it
            > must be damaged. Having
            > > loaded photos onto the computer from my trip and working with them
            > in Iphoto, I see that
            > > perhaps 80 percent of them are somehow defective. The few that I
            > worked with to get to a
            > > decent state required serious and drastic editing of things that
            > should have been
            > > automatic. Perhaps I will bring it to a camera shop in the next
            > place with a town nearby. Or
            > > I may have to buy a new camera.
            > >
            > > I guess my camera has its own version of a knock to the noggin as
            > well. Now I just have to
            > > be patient and accept that it will be much more difficult to get
            > good photographs on this
            > > vacation. I may load a few before I come home. There are at least
            > a few that I like after
            > > much fussing with the brightness, etc.
            > >
            > > I hope if not many visuals wing their way over the Web that you
            > can imagine instead that I
            > > am sending a comparable measure of goodwill and good wishes
            > because so many of my
            > > fellow travellers carry our extended family inside our hearts.
            > >
            > > Sharani

          • pavitrata27
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 2006
              Hi Sharani,

              Go to Google and type in Fujifilm Finepix F30.

              Or for a full review try

              www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/

              Virtually all compacts on the market come with zoom lenses built in.
              On an 'SLR' (Single lens reflex....the Nikon D40 for example) the
              lens can be removed and replaced with another lens, either zoom or
              fixed, i.e. you can't zoom in closer...less convenient but usually
              with better resolution.

              The quality of lenses on SLR cameras (those with changeable lens) is
              better than that of compacts. This may not always be noticeable on
              small photos or photos used on the web, but when you get enlargements
              done you will see the difference.

              SLR cameras for amateur use have got smaller and smaller, and lighter
              and lighter, but still have the advantage of being able to take even
              the most high-end professional lenses.

              Cameras like the Nikon D40 usually come with a small zoom lens in the
              package. These are light but competent lenses; sooner or later you
              would want to replace the package lens with something better, thats a
              whole other loka!

              Looking through your albums and seeing how your photography has
              developed I feel you are ready for an SLR. Good as the F30 is, and
              for a compact it is great, nevertheless like all compacts it has its
              limitations. Once photography percolates into the perceptions of your
              everday life your expectations and requirements increase. Your
              exasperation with low light photo qualities, for example, is an
              indicator that you are ready to move up. The nice thing about cameras
              like the D40 is that they offer modes for both beginners,
              intermediate users and advanced users. You grow into the camera, as
              it were.

              My advice would be to go to a good camera shop and have a look at the
              Nikon D40 ($599 US including lens) and the Canon Digital Rebel XT1
              (around $780 US including lens)...(in Europe it is called the 400D).
              You will be amazed at how light and portable these cameras are,
              almost the same size as some of the larger compacts, and even smaller
              than a few of them. They will slip easily into a small bag, and are
              unobtrusive to carry around.

              Whilst the Nikon has a more elegant feel to it, the low light ability
              of the Canon XT1/400D is superior. I recently got fed up with
              carrying around my heavy Canon SLR and got the XT1/400D,I am really
              delighted with the camera.

              If you don't feel you are ready for or can afford an SLR, have a look
              at the Finepix F30, (US $300) but I have a feeling sooner or later
              you'll end up with an SLR!!

              Digital cameras don't usually come with memory cards in the box,
              unless the shop or the maker is doing a 'special' deal.

              You will need to allow around $60 US for a good card, I would
              recommend at least 1 Gigabyte card, which will allow you to leave
              your camera on highest resolution and still have lots of pictures.

              Hope that helps.

              Pavitrata