Re: Live from RISD with Ashrita's Latest Record Attempt

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
      Hi Everybody,

      Ashrita broke the record by balancing 700 raw eggs simultaneously - a
      feat that took slightly more than 12 hours to achieve. Witnessing this
      record was really something to behold! His concentration was
      unflagging and he never even really took any breaks except to be
      interviewed by the local ABC and NBC television news, both of which
      gave in-depth and excellent coverage of the event.

      Even if he stopped to take a few bites of a sandwich, he was almost
      instantly back down crouched or kneeling on the floor to balance more
      eggs. He commented that he really enjoyed it, that the eggs looked
      beautiful (it really was like a performance art piece) and that at
      times it was also sincerely difficult. He averaged about one egg
      balanced per minute but some eggs alighted upright very quickly and
      others took a much longer time to balance.

      Apparently I didn't find enough oneness with the whole happening just
      in writing about it and taking photos. I ended up with a goose egg of
      my own on the back of my head when the chair I stood on while taking
      photos slipped out from under me. I just feel infinitely grateful that
      I survived the fall with nothing more than a bruised head and elbow,
      along with several hours in the hospital buoyed by the tangible
      feeling of sympathetic inner divine support. Once I'm further along in
      feeling better, I will share some of the photos that I took with my
      camera that is miraculously unbroken.

      Congratulations Ashrita!

      > I'm writing to you from a wireless connection on a laptop at the
      > Rhode Island School of Design in Providence where Ashrita is
      > attempting to set a new world record for simultaneously balancing
      > eggs. He is here at the Rhode Island School of Design in the Metcalf
      > Lecture Hall above the Design Store.
      >
      > He was inspired to do it at RISD because he sees it as a type of
      > performance art. The current record is 420 eggs.
      >
      > From the Press Release:
      >
      > "Over the last 25 years, Ashrita, the holder of the most Guinness
      > records, has set or beaten a total of 119 records in numerous
      > categories. Ashrita's records usually involve a physical challenge
      > such as somersaulting the greatest distance (12 miles) or doing the
      > most abdominal crunches in one hour (9,628) but in the case of the
      > egg record, concentration will be the key. Ashrita expects the
      > record attempt to take anywhere from 5 to 7 hours. Needless to say
      > everyone in the room will be walking on eggshells until the record
      > is broken!"
      >
      > He recently set a record in Connecticut for upside down juggling.
      > You can read an article about it at the Conn. Post newspaper site:
      > http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_4521747
      >
      > Stay tuned!
      > Sharani

    • sarah_inseattle
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
        Hi Sharani!

        What a fun couple of posts. I have been having trouble picturing
        this. So each egg has to balance upright individually? Do they
        keep toppling over once he has balanced them or do they pretty much
        stay upright? They are not touching eachother in any way? How are
        they laid out?

        I am going to go try balancing one egg right now.

        I am sure you will be treating us to some photos soon! (Which
        reminds me, any new foliage shots?)

        Love,
        Sarah

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2006
          Hi Sarah,
          If you follow this link to an article featured on the main page of the
          Sri Chinmoy Centres website, you can see a couple of photos.
          http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/FrontPage/members-pages/egg_record

          The raw eggs all had to be balanced on end individually. There was no
          time cutoff for how long it could take to achieve the record.
          Occasionally a random egg might topple over but then he was allowed to
          put it back upright. Amazingly, that hardly even happened so once he
          reached 700 eggs and decided to stop (already having passed the old
          record back at 420) the eggs that he had balanced twelve hours earlier
          still stood up. Or to be completely precise such was the case at the
          time that I left for the hospital about 1 1/2 hours before he
          finished. At that time, he had completed about 520 eggs.

          He arranged them in squares of 50 each to make it easier to keep track
          and kept aisles in between the blocks of 50 in case he had to get back
          over to one and re-do it. It really did look like a performance art
          piece so its location of RISD was truly fitting.

          I did take lots of photos and had promised to post them once I
          recovered from my tumble off a chair while shooting pictures of the
          record. Life is moving along full steam ahead so I cannot promise a
          full photo album of the day any time soon. I did add one photo to my
          blog entry about it to join one taken by Salil.

          As for fall pictures, I'm not sure if I already mentioned them but
          twice I took some photos at an apple orchard in Guilford, Ct. and a
          few more around near where I work. Check out this shortcut to my
          gallery albums: http://tinyurl.com/d4pak and browse the first two
          albums - Dartmouth and Rhode Island.

          Sharani
          p.s. You must have delighted in Sri Chinmoy's recent visit to Seattle!

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > Guinness
          > > > records, has set or beaten a total of 119 records in numerous
          > > > categories. Ashrita's records usually involve a physical
          > challenge
          > > > such as somersaulting the greatest distance (12 miles) or doing
          > the
          > > > most abdominal crunches in one hour (9,628) but in the case of
          > the
          > > > egg record, concentration will be the key. Ashrita expects the
          > > > record attempt to take anywhere from 5 to 7 hours. Needless to
          > say
          > > > everyone in the room will be walking on eggshells until the
          > record
          > > > is broken!"
          > > >
          > > > He recently set a record in Connecticut for upside down
          > juggling.
          > > > You can read an article about it at the Conn. Post newspaper

        • sarah_inseattle
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
            Hi Sharani,

            Thanks! I did follow the link, and enjoyed the photos immensely.
            *Now* I can picture it. And the eggs were all on the floor!

            I also enjoyed the fall photos. What a surprise to see Bishop
            Orchards (Guilford, CT)! It was an annual autumn destination of my
            childhood. As was Hilltop Orchards, just west of Bishop. I grew up
            very close to there, just off rte 1, on the eastern side of
            Branford. I am glad to know the orchards are still there, after all
            these decades, and have not fallen the way of sprawl.

            I will answer your question about Sri Chinmoy's visit to Seattle in
            reply to Nayak's post! (Yes, it was very heavenly!)

            Thanks again for everything,
            Sarah
            Seattle