Rediscovering the Self

  • ckgaparajita
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2003
      Hello everyone in e-Land,

      As I sit here in my hotel room in Singapore, I am reflecting on what makes the
      Christmas trip so special.

      Is it because I don't have to make my bed, cook or wash dishes for three months?
      Because I can be a total pig three meals a day? Because almost every day starts with
      an hour playing The One True Game (ultimate frisbee)? Because it is a divine right to
      take a nap in the afternoon?

      While these are all wonderful reasons, they are all outer. The real reasons for what
      makes the Christmas trip so special are of course inner.

      I rediscover that I can meditate deeply.
      I rediscover that my heart cries tears of gratitude.
      I rediscover that my soul is deeply in love with God.
      I rediscover that I love the spiritual life and my spiritual Path.
      I rediscover that life can be supremely joyful.

      Are these realities limited to the Christmas trip? Of course not. It's just a whole lot
      easier here, because most of our outer responsibilities are taken care of, which leaves
      us free to focus on our inner life.

      This leads me to the inevitable realization that the essence of the Christmas trip lies
      within. To cross the stormy seas of life, we each must create our own little Christmas
      trip, whether it's for an hour a day or a day each month. We desperately need to carve
      out a little space where we can remove ourselves from the outer world and rediscover
      the reality of our true Self. Having received the blessings of the higher worlds, we can
      then re-enter the battlefield of life with renewed enthusiasm and strength...or so I
      hope.

      Remind me next year when I get back to New York that I said this!

      With love,

      - Aparajita
    • arpan_deangelo
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2003
        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ckgaparajita
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone in e-Land,
        >
        > As I sit here in my hotel room in Singapore, I am reflecting on
        what makes the
        > Christmas trip so special.
        >
        > Is it because I don't have to make my bed, cook or wash dishes for
        three months?
        > Because I can be a total pig three meals a day? Because almost
        every day starts with
        > an hour playing The One True Game (ultimate frisbee)? Because it is
        a divine right to
        > take a nap in the afternoon?
        >
        > While these are all wonderful reasons, they are all outer. The real
        reasons for what
        > makes the Christmas trip so special are of course inner.
        >
        > I rediscover that I can meditate deeply.
        > I rediscover that my heart cries tears of gratitude.
        > I rediscover that my soul is deeply in love with God.
        > I rediscover that I love the spiritual life and my spiritual Path.
        > I rediscover that life can be supremely joyful.
        >
        > Are these realities limited to the Christmas trip? Of course not.
        It's just a whole lot
        > easier here, because most of our outer responsibilities are taken
        care of, which leaves
        > us free to focus on our inner life.
        >
        > This leads me to the inevitable realization that the essence of the
        Christmas trip lies
        > within. To cross the stormy seas of life, we each must create our
        own little Christmas
        > trip, whether it's for an hour a day or a day each month. We
        desperately need to carve
        > out a little space where we can remove ourselves from the outer
        world and rediscover
        > the reality of our true Self. Having received the blessings of the
        higher worlds, we can
        > then re-enter the battlefield of life with renewed enthusiasm and
        strength...or so I
        > hope.
        >
        > Remind me next year when I get back to New York that I said this!
        >
        > With love,
        >
        > - Aparajita

        Hey Aparajita,
        Nice to hear from you... such an inspiring and descriptive story.
        Trying to focus on my inner life here as well even if I have to go
        waiter at the Oneness-Fountain-Heart Restaurant.
        Had a nice time there last night as both a waiter and cook, helping
        Morris out front and Samarthan in the kitchen. We made a sweet potato
        casserole, but did not stay long enought to try it out. Samarthan is
        working very hard and long trying to get stuff (and stuffing) ready
        for Thanksgiving. Will you celebrate it there? It's probably a bit
        out of the context of the culture there.
        Anyway, keep writing and I will keep surviving, at least until I see
        you in Bali.
        Your bro'
        Arpan
      • ckgaparajita
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 27, 2003
          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo
          <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > Had a nice time there last night as both a waiter and cook, helping
          > Morris out front and Samarthan in the kitchen. We made a sweet
          potato
          > casserole, but did not stay long enought to try it out. Samarthan
          is
          > working very hard and long trying to get stuff (and stuffing) ready
          > for Thanksgiving. Will you celebrate it there? It's probably a bit
          > out of the context of the culture there.

          Hey Arpan, great to hear from you! I am so grateful to you and all
          the other guys for helping us out, and to Samarthan for diving
          into the cooking with such enthusiasm!

          We won't celebrate Thanksgiving here in Singapore, but for me every
          day here has been one of inner Thanksgiving for the incredible
          blessings of having our teacher, Sri Chinmoy, of having a beautiful
          path, and of having an inspiring group of souls -- my
          spiritual family -- to share my life-journey with.

          It's sad that all of my outer responsibilities in New York keep me
          from feeling this on a day to day basis. Here it is so much easier.
          But indeed the real challenge of our Path is to be fully engaged in
          the outer
          life yet maintain an intimate connection with the inner life.

          With gratitude,

          - Aparajita
        • nayak_ltp
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 27, 2003
            Hi, Aparajita, thanks for your postinhg, and how about sharing some
            news from down there about Sri Chinmoy's activities? We need that
            meal.

            Thanks,

            Nayak