Live from RISD with Ashrita's Latest Record Attempt

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2006
      I'm writing to you from a wireless connection on a laptop at the
      Rhode Island School of Design in Providence where Ashrita is
      attempting to set a new world record for simultaneously balancing
      eggs. He is here at the Rhode Island School of Design in the Metcalf
      Lecture Hall above the Design Store.

      He was inspired to do it at RISD because he sees it as a type of
      performance art. The current record is 420 eggs.

      From the Press Release:

      "Over the last 25 years, Ashrita, the holder of the most Guinness
      records, has set or beaten a total of 119 records in numerous
      categories. Ashrita's records usually involve a physical challenge
      such as somersaulting the greatest distance (12 miles) or doing the
      most abdominal crunches in one hour (9,628) but in the case of the
      egg record, concentration will be the key. Ashrita expects the
      record attempt to take anywhere from 5 to 7 hours. Needless to say
      everyone in the room will be walking on eggshells until the record
      is broken!"

      He recently set a record in Connecticut for upside down juggling.
      You can read an article about it at the Conn. Post newspaper site:
      http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_4521747

      Stay tuned!
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
        Hi Everybody,

        Ashrita broke the record by balancing 700 raw eggs simultaneously - a
        feat that took slightly more than 12 hours to achieve. Witnessing this
        record was really something to behold! His concentration was
        unflagging and he never even really took any breaks except to be
        interviewed by the local ABC and NBC television news, both of which
        gave in-depth and excellent coverage of the event.

        Even if he stopped to take a few bites of a sandwich, he was almost
        instantly back down crouched or kneeling on the floor to balance more
        eggs. He commented that he really enjoyed it, that the eggs looked
        beautiful (it really was like a performance art piece) and that at
        times it was also sincerely difficult. He averaged about one egg
        balanced per minute but some eggs alighted upright very quickly and
        others took a much longer time to balance.

        Apparently I didn't find enough oneness with the whole happening just
        in writing about it and taking photos. I ended up with a goose egg of
        my own on the back of my head when the chair I stood on while taking
        photos slipped out from under me. I just feel infinitely grateful that
        I survived the fall with nothing more than a bruised head and elbow,
        along with several hours in the hospital buoyed by the tangible
        feeling of sympathetic inner divine support. Once I'm further along in
        feeling better, I will share some of the photos that I took with my
        camera that is miraculously unbroken.

        Congratulations Ashrita!

        > I'm writing to you from a wireless connection on a laptop at the
        > Rhode Island School of Design in Providence where Ashrita is
        > attempting to set a new world record for simultaneously balancing
        > eggs. He is here at the Rhode Island School of Design in the Metcalf
        > Lecture Hall above the Design Store.
        >
        > He was inspired to do it at RISD because he sees it as a type of
        > performance art. The current record is 420 eggs.
        >
        > From the Press Release:
        >
        > "Over the last 25 years, Ashrita, the holder of the most Guinness
        > records, has set or beaten a total of 119 records in numerous
        > categories. Ashrita's records usually involve a physical challenge
        > such as somersaulting the greatest distance (12 miles) or doing the
        > most abdominal crunches in one hour (9,628) but in the case of the
        > egg record, concentration will be the key. Ashrita expects the
        > record attempt to take anywhere from 5 to 7 hours. Needless to say
        > everyone in the room will be walking on eggshells until the record
        > is broken!"
        >
        > He recently set a record in Connecticut for upside down juggling.
        > You can read an article about it at the Conn. Post newspaper site:
        > http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_4521747
        >
        > Stay tuned!
        > Sharani

      • sarah_inseattle
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
          Hi Sharani!

          What a fun couple of posts. I have been having trouble picturing
          this. So each egg has to balance upright individually? Do they
          keep toppling over once he has balanced them or do they pretty much
          stay upright? They are not touching eachother in any way? How are
          they laid out?

          I am going to go try balancing one egg right now.

          I am sure you will be treating us to some photos soon! (Which
          reminds me, any new foliage shots?)

          Love,
          Sarah

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2006
            Hi Sarah,
            If you follow this link to an article featured on the main page of the
            Sri Chinmoy Centres website, you can see a couple of photos.
            http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/FrontPage/members-pages/egg_record

            The raw eggs all had to be balanced on end individually. There was no
            time cutoff for how long it could take to achieve the record.
            Occasionally a random egg might topple over but then he was allowed to
            put it back upright. Amazingly, that hardly even happened so once he
            reached 700 eggs and decided to stop (already having passed the old
            record back at 420) the eggs that he had balanced twelve hours earlier
            still stood up. Or to be completely precise such was the case at the
            time that I left for the hospital about 1 1/2 hours before he
            finished. At that time, he had completed about 520 eggs.

            He arranged them in squares of 50 each to make it easier to keep track
            and kept aisles in between the blocks of 50 in case he had to get back
            over to one and re-do it. It really did look like a performance art
            piece so its location of RISD was truly fitting.

            I did take lots of photos and had promised to post them once I
            recovered from my tumble off a chair while shooting pictures of the
            record. Life is moving along full steam ahead so I cannot promise a
            full photo album of the day any time soon. I did add one photo to my
            blog entry about it to join one taken by Salil.

            As for fall pictures, I'm not sure if I already mentioned them but
            twice I took some photos at an apple orchard in Guilford, Ct. and a
            few more around near where I work. Check out this shortcut to my
            gallery albums: http://tinyurl.com/d4pak and browse the first two
            albums - Dartmouth and Rhode Island.

            Sharani
            p.s. You must have delighted in Sri Chinmoy's recent visit to Seattle!

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > Guinness
            > > > records, has set or beaten a total of 119 records in numerous
            > > > categories. Ashrita's records usually involve a physical
            > challenge
            > > > such as somersaulting the greatest distance (12 miles) or doing
            > the
            > > > most abdominal crunches in one hour (9,628) but in the case of
            > the
            > > > egg record, concentration will be the key. Ashrita expects the
            > > > record attempt to take anywhere from 5 to 7 hours. Needless to
            > say
            > > > everyone in the room will be walking on eggshells until the
            > record
            > > > is broken!"
            > > >
            > > > He recently set a record in Connecticut for upside down
            > juggling.
            > > > You can read an article about it at the Conn. Post newspaper

          • sarah_inseattle
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
              Hi Sharani,

              Thanks! I did follow the link, and enjoyed the photos immensely.
              *Now* I can picture it. And the eggs were all on the floor!

              I also enjoyed the fall photos. What a surprise to see Bishop
              Orchards (Guilford, CT)! It was an annual autumn destination of my
              childhood. As was Hilltop Orchards, just west of Bishop. I grew up
              very close to there, just off rte 1, on the eastern side of
              Branford. I am glad to know the orchards are still there, after all
              these decades, and have not fallen the way of sprawl.

              I will answer your question about Sri Chinmoy's visit to Seattle in
              reply to Nayak's post! (Yes, it was very heavenly!)

              Thanks again for everything,
              Sarah
              Seattle