Re: Sri Chinmoy's Piano Improvisation

  • shardul_nz
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 27, 2006
      Wonderful article Jogyata - thanks. Sri Chinmoy certainly does bring a
      whole new dimension to the old phrase 'tickling the ivories' -
      something my father used to say. Watching the video clip on Sri
      Chinmoy TV, Sri Chinmoy's fingers dance so playfully across the keys
      with such spontaneity and joy.

      Gratefully,
      Shardul.

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, jogyata <no_reply@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > earth, eucalyptus and the essence of desert.
      >
      > When I hear Sri Chinmoy playing the piano I am somehow reminded of
      > this. Just as the occasional fragrance of eucalyptus still evokes
      > memories of those outback years, so do Sri Chinmoy's wonderful piano
      > improvisations evoke the fragrance of a meditative, inner world, the
      > musical downpour nourishing the beautiful, wide open spaces of the
      > soul. Amidst the sweetness, playfulness, power and freedom of the
      > music you can unmistakably feel something extraordinary - for me it is
      > a glimpse of the human soul, a fragrance of God.
      >
      > Many people some day will come to recognise that Sri Chinmoy's vast
      > pantheon of creative outpourings - his musical, literary, artistic
      > legacy - forms one of the most remarkable accomplishments of all time.
      > One of the secrets of this stunning legacy is that the artist has
      > saturated all of his creation with his own profoundly spiritual
      > consciousness, a fragrance that permeates everything that he has done.
      > Among these many jewels, like so many bright stars in the dark sky of
      > human life, you will be able to find some aspect, a star that will be
      > your personal doorway into the life divine.
      >
      > Someone will look at Sri Chinmoy's bird sketches and feel their purity
      > and freedom and delight - another may read a poem that deeply touches
      > the heart. A third may pick up one of Sri Chinmoy's books and in
      > between the knowledge conveyed by language, by words, there it is
      > again, the fragrance of an illumined soul, the beckoning open doorway
      > that takes you out among the bright stars.
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy's piano improvisations are one of my favourite doorways.
      > Often at the end of the day, I light a little incense, put the phone
      > on no rings and sink back into my old armchair in my meditation space.
      > The volume needs to be loud - this is the powerful face of meditation,
      > the swift brushstrokes of the artist portraying a cosmic canvas.
      >
      > Perhaps at first nothing much seems to be happening. But if you
      > persist a little, listen with a widening heart, still mind, you'll
      > start to feel something - as though glimpsing through a small clear
      > window another inner, higher world. If you practise meditation a
      > little, this window will gradually open wider. Some days you're
      > overwhelmed by a feeling of indescribable beauty and peace, your eyes
      > fill with tears at this engulfing joy and you're having the best
      > meditation of your life.
      >
      > Beethoven once said that whoever truly understands his music will
      > forever be freed from sadness - I do believe that anyone who really
      > understands Sri Chinmoy's piano improvisations, indeed his music as a
      > whole, can become liberated from everything. Free of all constraint
      > and limitation, free from mind, thought, ego, these rapturous
      > performances are a celestial music of heart-melting sweetness, a
      > glorious sound born out of the artist's absolute oneness with the
      Highest.