Indian Summer in New York

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2006
      Here in New York we are enjoying what we call "Indian Summer".

      It is a period of unseasonably warm weather just before the
      temperature starts descending. It is almost as if God is saying, "See?
      I DO love you."

      I guess you can tell by now that I do not like cold weather. In Puerto
      Rico it is so hot all year long, that you sweat standing in the shade!
      Yet we love it! We drink hot coffee when it is 90 degrees outside, and
      we like it! We get eaten up by sharks when we go to the beach,
      and.....well, alright, maybe we do not like that one THAT much! :)

      So today I went for a run...and there were people playing softball on
      the field where we play ultimate frisbee. This field is right next to
      where our 3100 mile race is held every year. It is also adjacent to a
      playground for children, as well as basketball courts and walls for
      handball.

      I love days like this, where the sun is shining bright and everything
      is so inspiring! Days like this beg you to go out and be playful,
      enjoy Mother Nature in all her splendour, and smile!

      Boy, do I ever get the blues in the wintertime, when sunshine is
      scarce and daylight is short!

      One day, many years ago, we had an Indian grocery store next to us. I
      walked in one freezing day and asked the owner: "WHY did God create
      cold weather?", in a tone of semi-despair at how uncomfortable winter is.

      He looked up to some unknow region of the sky, his face lit up in a
      devoted smile, and he responded: "So we can think of Him!" Now THAT is
      the right attitude, I would say! It is like Kunti, the mother of the
      Pandavas....she told Krishna to give her suffering, constant
      suffering, so they could think of Him all the time!

      Again, in his writings, Sri chinmoy encourages a cheerful approach to
      life, always, always, a positive approach. Here is his answer to a
      question about suffering (unofficial):

      *************************************

      Question: Does suffering increase one's inner hunger?

      Sri Chinmoy: When the inner hunger is increased through suffering, I
      tell you, this hunger does not last. This hunger will be satisfied
      after a short time and then again you will enter into ignorance-life
      and immediately be assailed by more suffering. Real hunger constantly
      increases through inner joy, inner satisfaction. At that time you are
      constantly transcending yourself.

      When one suffers, at that time God becomes real for him. There are
      many atheists; for them there is no God. But when their children fall
      sick and it is critical, immediately they invoke God or Light or some
      Power. Somebody is passing beyond the Curtain of Eternity, so they
      feel it is time to invoke some higher Power, some higher Light,
      something which they don't have that comes from somewhere else. They
      invoke something and that something is God. They are stark atheists;
      they don't believe in God at all. But at that time God comes into the
      picture just because they are suffering. But the moment their
      suffering ends, temptation-life or ignorance-life catches them and
      they forget God.

      So if we have to go to God through suffering, then eventually
      temptation will come and take us away. If we feel we have to go to God
      by cutting off our arms or limbs, if we feel that when we suffer, at
      that time God will listen to us, we are making a deplorable mistake.

      The positive way to go to God is through love, through joy. Constantly
      we are loving him; that is why we are getting joy. Just because we are
      in joy we love Him. If we want to increase our inner cry, then we have
      to love God more and we have to be inwardly and outwardly cheerful. It
      is through constant cheerfulness that our love of God increases. By
      remaining always in a state of melancholy we will not make progress.
      We are only trying to draw sympathy from the world and become an
      object of pity. But that is not the way. The right way is always to
      have spontaneous joy. From Delight we came into the world, in Delight
      we grow and, at the end of our journey's close, into Delight we
      retire. This is our philosophy.

      Joy and cheerfulness is not a life of pleasure. No! It is the
      conscious awareness of our inner divinity. When we are happy, when we
      are really happy, we are making real progress. Through suffering one
      may make progress, but before he makes progress he curses God. "He is
      happy, she is happy, everybody is happy. How is it that I am
      suffering?" So before we actually cry for light, quite often we
      misunderstand God, we criticise God and find fault with Him. But when
      we are happy, at that time we don't criticise God. On the contrary, we
      show our gratitude. He has made us happy, whereas there are many who
      are still unhappy because they are wallowing in the pleasures of
      ignorance. When we become a happy heart, we move forward, we dive deep
      within, we fly. At that time we make considerable progress. Progress
      is in movement, and this movement comes only when we have joy and we
      become joy."
      Sri Chinmoy

      So there! I love sunny days! :-)

      in oneness, Kamalakanta
    • ttstp
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2006
        Dear Kamalakanta,
        I guess it is so much our human nature to invoke God when things are
        tough and forget Him when things go well. Sri Chinmoy has said that
        when things are bad, we blame God and when things are good, we take
        the credit. One of Guru's poems that has touched me is this [unofficial]:

        My Last Word

        My last word You will hear.
        With this hope
        I still exist on earth.
        Let me dance in Your Heart always,
        In the nights of sorrow and in the days of joy.
        I feel that the torture of happiness
        Is more painful
        Than the torture of sorrow.
        For when I am in joy I forget You;
        I hurt Your Heart.

        To remain in God's Heart always, that is the secret. How do we do it?
        With Guru's help, we make that discovery for ourselves. I am so
        grateful to Guru for that help and guidance.

        With gratitude,
        Shirley
        Victoria (on a beautiful sunny Thanksgiving Day)

        --
        - In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2006
          Hi Kamalakanta,

          With your vivid description of your love of warm weather, I cannot
          resist what might seem like a brief commercial for the benefits of
          sunlight ...

          I just recently bought some full-spectrum light bulbs that give off
          light so literally like sunlight that when I see the light from around
          the corner of the room where the lamp with the bulb is I actually feel
          like I'm looking at sunlight streaming through a window. I have bought
          these types of special light bulbs at health food stores from time to
          time but the brand that I just bought seems like it is in a class
          above all the rest that I have ever tried.

          I tend to believe that sunlight is very important to health - probably
          first imprinted on me during powerful moments drinking in the sun just
          after it rises. There are even exponents of "sun gazing" who believe
          that illnesses can be cured and the need for food erased through
          nourishment from the sun. I would never go that far in my own beliefs,
          but I think the effects of scarce sunlight in the winter months
          (Seasonal Affective Disorder) are very real and probably affect many
          people -- just in varying degrees.

          I learned about the light bulbs from a wholistic health website on the
          Internet and will try to remember to share details about them the next
          time I stop in at Guru Health Foods in case you would like to purchase
          them as well. They are a little on the expensive side (18.00 U.S. for
          one) but last for 10,000 hours. Since health itself is priceless, I'm
          thinking I've made a worthwhile investment.

          Maybe indoor lights like the sun won't cure the cold part of winter
          weather but perhaps they can keep some of summer's mood boosting
          potential alive year round.

          Sharani