Forgiveness, self-appreciation, self-encouragement, faith in oneself

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2006
      There are certain concepts or qualities in the spiritual life which
      are bound together, intimately related, as in a chain....

      Also, at different moments, different qualities will be most important
      for us, according to what obstacles we are facing on a particular day,
      or what we are inspired by on that particular day or moment.

      Sometimes, someone will say something that will make us aware of
      something. Or we might look at Nature and be reminded of something.

      Yesterday, for example, I was having a very tough day, a day when my
      faith in myself was being challenged, a day when I did not know if I
      could forgive myself for my own mistakes.

      Walking towards work, I noticed acorns on the ground. I picked one,
      and thought of the fact that inside each seed there is a tree. It
      immediately struck me how beautiful this is. This seed in my hand
      would one day be a strong, tall, beautiful tree, with many leaves and
      branches, an inspiration to all. And I felt love for this seed, and
      what it revealed to me.

      And I asked myself if God sees us in the same way, with that same
      sense of wonder and innocence. And this thought gave me great joy. "I
      know!", I said to myself. "I am just a seed, and I will blossom in the
      future. My limitations right now are temporary. My inner reality will
      come to the fore and be revealed someday!" And this gave me the
      strength to forgive myself, to smile at myself and others.

      So today these topics of forgiveness, self-appreciation,
      self-encouragement and faith in oneself are foremost in my
      consciousness. Therefore, I spent some time selecting some of Sri
      Chinmoy's writings on these topics, to share with you all. These
      quotes are unofficial:

      Forgiveness

      My Lord's Name is Forgiveness. My name is hope.

      To forgive the outer world I need peace. To forgive the inner world I
      need perfection.

      Forgiveness is the seeker's immeasurable accomplishment in both the
      world of self-giving and the world of God-becoming.

      Forgiveness is man's happiness-house. Forgiveness is God's Oneness-Home.
      If you are deplorably weak, then you will sleeplessly remember,
      strongly harbour and ceaselessly suffer. If you are soulfully brave,
      then you will immediately forgive, completely forget and unimaginably
      prosper.

      Forget the injustice-world. Forgiveness-joy will be all yours.

      Cry for the world. Look, forgiveness-light is within your easy reach.
      Smile at the world. Look, forgiveness-delight is preceding you and
      following you.
      Forgive the world. The world will sit at your compassion-feet. Forgive
      yourself. God will be dancing inside your meditation-heart.
      -Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      HARMONY

      Look in the mirror
      And what you see in yourself,
      Try to see in others.
      If you see perfection in your life,
      Then see perfection in others.
      If you see imperfection in yourself
      And forgive yourself for your imperfection,
      Then try also to forgive others
      Who have the same imperfection.
      The experience of oneness
      In darkness or light
      Brings about harmony.
      Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      Time will eventually pardon you
      And all your untold crimes,
      But the question is
      Whether you will have
      the daring capacity
      To forgive yourself.
      -Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      Who will forgive me
      If I do not forgive myself first?
      -Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * * *

      It is not unwise to appreciate oneself. You can appreciate yourself
      just because you feel that you are God's chosen child. If you
      sincerely feel that you are God's chosen child, then you can rest
      assure that God also truly feels that your life is of great importance
      to Him.
      -Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      The Art Of Self-Encouragement

      Do you want to be always happy?
      Then give up fighting
      For negativity
      And learn the beautiful art
      Of self-encouragement.
      -Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      Your Right Of Self-Encouragement

      My Lord Supreme,
      I need self-newness.
      How can I have it?
      "My child,
      You can have self-newness
      Only by exercising your right
      Of self-encouragement."

      -Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      "No path can be too hard for you
      If you have one God-gift:
      Faith in yourself."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      "If you have faith in yourself,
      Then that is indeed
      Your code of life."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      "If you have faith in yourself,
      Then God will smile at you.
      If God has faith in you,
      Then you will become
      Tomorrow's God,
      A new God."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      Question: Sri Chinmoy, what do you consider to be the greatest
      obstacle on the spiritual path?

      Sri Chinmoy: "The greatest obstacle on the spiritual path is doubt,
      self-doubt. There is no obstacle as dangerous as doubt. If you doubt
      God, that is one thing. There is no harm in it in the sense that God
      will not lose any of His infinite capacities because of your doubt.
      But if you start doubting yourself, then you are totally lost. All
      your inner capacities will be washed away in the torrent of your
      self-doubt.

      You should not doubt God and you should not doubt yourself. But if
      you have to doubt one of the two, then the best thing is to doubt God.
      Each moment you use the words 'I' and 'mine'. Although you claim that
      you doubt yourself, at the same time you say, "I am eating, I am
      breathing, my friend, my house." Here is the proof of your own
      existence. God's existence you do not see and you cannot prove right
      now. But your own existence you can prove because you are experiencing
      it. If you use the terms 'I', 'mine' and 'my' and then say that you
      don't exist, people will laugh at you. You will be caught; you will
      not be able to doubt your existence. But God's existence you can doubt
      if you want to, because He is not standing right in front of you; you
      do not see Him or consciously feel Him. In season and out of season,
      you can doubt Him.

      Now, you may have absolute faith in God's existence, but you may
      doubt God's Compassion. You may say, "Is God so compassionate? I have
      done so many things wrong in my life. Will He give me His
      Knowledge-Light? Why should He show me His unconditional Compassion?"

      This is another kind of doubt. Right now you do not disbelieve God's
      existence or your own existence, but you doubt God's Compassion and
      God's Concern for you. Once upon a time you were a soul in the soul's
      world. Who brought your soul into this world? It was God who did it.
      Before you were consciously aware of spirituality, divinity and
      reality, God gave you life. God gave you the message of divinity.

      Already you can see how much God has given you for which you have
      never asked consciously. It has all come to you through your soul. And
      who created your soul? God. Who offered it to you? God. Who is going
      to fulfil you through your soul? Again, it is God. So you can easily
      stop doubting God's Concern.

      Then you may feel that with your own capacity you cannot realise God.
      This is still another kind of doubt. But if somebody else has realised
      God, why should you not be able to do the same? God, the same God that
      exists in him, also exists in you, only you are not aspiring enough to
      see Him. All souls have come from God, not from anywhere else. So if
      one person has realised God through the aspiration of his soul, anyone
      can do it. You can also realise God. Your doubt is baseless. You have
      to feel only that your aspiration is not yet as intense as the other
      person's aspiration was. Finally you have to feel that God can never
      be fulfilled until you have realised Him. God's existence needs
      fulfillment in and through you. He will never be totally fulfilled as
      long as you remain unrealised. If your friend has realised God but you
      still remain unrealised, then rest assured that God remains
      unfulfilled. He will be fulfilled only on the day when all human
      beings have realised Him.

      God's business is to fulfil Himself and manifest Himself on earth. If
      you consciously aspire, then it becomes easier for Him to fulfil and
      manifest Himself. You can rest assured that God needs your conscious
      co-operation for His fulfillment. If you offer Him your sincerity and
      your aspiration, and take one step toward Him, He will take
      ninety-nine steps toward you. You give what you can, and God will give
      you not only what He has but also what He is. What He has is infinite
      Concern and what He is is infinite Light.

      So the worst obstacle in the spiritual life is doubt. If you can
      conquer all doubt, then you will be much closer to God-realisation.
      There are many other obstacles, of course, but these obstacles are not
      as dangerous as doubt. Doubt is a slow poison. If we cherish doubt
      every day, this slow poison will gradually kill us. We must throw
      doubt from our inner life and from our entire existence."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      Question: How can we increase our willpower?

      Sri Chinmoy: There are two types of will-power. One type of will-power
      we get from the Third Eye. Tremendous will-power we get if we
      concentrate here. The other type of will-power is from the heart. From
      here also we get intense will-power. Again, if we concentrate around
      our navel, there is a kind of will-power that we get, but that
      will-power is destructive; we cannot use it for a good purpose. This
      will-power comes from the vital world, and if we are not totally
      purified in our vital, especially in the lower vital, we may misuse
      this will-power. But if the navel centre is purified, then the
      will-power we get from there will be used for a divine purpose.
      The will-power we have inside the heart is the soul's power. That
      power we can never use for a wrong purpose. The safest of the three is
      the will power that comes from the heart. When you pray and meditate,
      try to feel that there is already some power inside, deep inside your
      heart, which has to be brought to the fore. Will power from the navel
      centre we can use for good purposes and bad purposes, for constructive
      and destructive ends; but will-power from the heart can only be
      utilized for good. It is very fast, like a bullet. When we use the
      will-power from the navel centre, it will be very deep and
      electrifying, but in the heart's will-power there is motherly
      affection, concern. Tremendous will is there, but the mother's will is
      also full of love and compassion Will-power from the Third Eye will be
      like the father's will-power. There will be concern, but wisdom will
      also be there.

      The easiest way to use will-power is to take the positive approach.
      Use will-power to do something positive, not to keep yourself from
      doing something negative. If we say, "I shall not tell a lie," that is
      important. But if we say, "I shall tell the truth," that will-power is
      more effective. When we say, "I won't do it," already the negative
      thing has half its power just because we are thinking about it. If we
      repeat in our mind, "I won't be jealous," the word 'jealous,' the
      negative quality that it embodies, ruins our mind and then we do
      become jealous. If we say, "I won't be doubtful," the word 'doubt'
      enters into our mind and automatically doubt comes. But if we say,
      "From now on, I shall be totally devoted to God. I shall be faithful.
      I shall be fully surrendered," these words are very good. Surrender
      and faith and devotion are very good. If we all the time have positive
      feeling, and make positive assertions, then automatically our
      willpower increases.
      -Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      joy to all!

      in oneness, Kamalakanta
    • doriscott20002000
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2006
        Dear Kamalakanta,

        It's good to know I am not the only one who is struggling to find
        the middle path and it's also good to know that we are on the right
        path.

        Doris

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47

        *