Re: Sri Chinmoy's Writings on "Courage"

  • sarah_inseattle
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
      Kamalakanta,

      I am appreciating this post like anything; it is moving me to tears
      in some way that I do not understand.

      >It is not by hook or by crook that we are going to have
      > God-realisation; it is through constant self-offering. Self-
      offering
      > is the most powerful weapon, for it is in self-offering that true
      > courage lies.

      How can we increase our self-offering? What is the path to self-
      offering?

      > "God is within me.
      > Therefore, I am precious.
      > God is for me.
      > Therefore, I am courageous."
      > -Sri Chinmoy

      In oneness,
      Sarah
      Seattle

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > [All quotes below are unofficial]
      >
      > Courage is one of the most necessary qualities in the spiritual
      life.

      > It takes courage to embark on the inner journey to self-discovery.
      It
      > takes courage to continue on the journey. It takes indomitable
      courage
      > to reach the Goal of Goals.
      >
      > "The significance of life
      > Is the constant presence
      > Of inner courage."
      > -Sri Chinmoy
      >
      > The spiritual life is not easy. In all the books I have read, from
      the
      > Bible to Budha to Ramakrishna to Sri Chinmoy, I have never read
      that
      > the spiritual life is easy.
      >
      > I think Sri Chinmoy has even described God-realisation
      as "climbing ten
      > thousand Himalayas".
      >
      > Yet the fact that there have been people who have realised God is
      > proof ultimate that it can be achieved.
      >
      > As truth-seekers and God-lovers, we need sincerity and courage to
      > proceed on our journey.
      >
      > Today I feel inspired to share with you some of Sri Chinmoy's
      writings
      > on courage:
      >
      > "Courage
      >
      > In one of the Upanishads, it says that the soul is not to be won by
      > the weakling. Courage is absolutely necessary in the spiritual
      life.
      > The very acceptance of the spiritual life demands enormous
      courage. It
      > is only a divinely courageous soul, only a divinely inspired soul,
      > that can swiftly reach the highest Goal.
      >
      > This courage is not the courage of a haughty, rough person who will
      > strike others to assert his superiority; it is totally different.
      This
      > courage is our constant awareness of what we are entering into, of
      > what we are going to become, of what we are going to reveal. We
      have
      > to jump courageously into the ocean of spirituality, but we have to
      > know that we are not jumping into the sea of uncertainty.
      Uncertainty
      > and spirituality never go together. When we speak of courage, we
      have
      > to know that courage means certainty.
      >
      > It is not by hook or by crook that we are going to have
      > God-realisation; it is through constant self-offering. Self-
      offering
      > is the most powerful weapon, for it is in self-offering that true
      > courage lies. When we know, feel and realise that God is ours and
      we
      > are God's, we get spontaneous courage streaming forth.
      > God and you are eternally one, each fulfilling the other. If you
      have
      > indomitable courage or the soul's Willpower, you can fulfil the
      > Supreme and the Supreme can fulfil you. This you feel on the
      strength
      > of your all-giving, all-sacrificing inner courage."
      > Sri Chinmoy
      >
      > * * * * * * * * *
      >
      > "Fear And Courage
      >
      > We may be afraid of God. God's infinite Vastness frightens us.
      God's
      > transcendental Height frightens us. God's immeasurable Depth
      frightens us.
      > God is both Truth and Light. God the Truth tries to lead us to the
      > perfect Truth. But we unfortunately feel that God the Truth is
      always
      > examining us. We feel that since we are a mountain of falsehood,
      since
      > we are making mistakes at every moment, God the Truth will punish
      us.
      > But God is all Compassion. He does not punish us. On the contrary,
      He
      > tries to illumine our mistakes and make us perfect. In the process
      of
      > evolution, He tells us that falsehood is nothing but lesser Truth.
      We
      > have to transcend falsehood and then enter into Truth. And for
      that,
      > we need a constant inner cry, which we call aspiration.
      > Just as we are afraid of God the Truth, so also are we afraid of
      God
      > the Light. We feel that God the Light will expose us, since we have
      > done many undivine things. If someone commits a theft, he wants to
      > hide. He is afraid of light. He feels that if he is in light, he
      will
      > be exposed. But God the Light is totally different. Here the Light
      > does not expose us; it illumines us. The Light tells us that
      darkness
      > also has a little light, that night too has a little bit of light.
      > God, being all Light, is all-pervading. Therefore, He is bound to
      be
      > in darkness as well as in Light. Of course, when He is in
      darkness, He
      > will have only a very small amount of Light, whereas in an aspiring
      > human being He will manifest boundless Light. Again, even if there
      is
      > just a little light, this light will grow into boundless Light. It
      is
      > like the seed that grows into a banyan tree.
      >
      > Fear and courage. Fear has capacity in a negative way. It rejects
      > oneness. It wants to remain always individual and separate. Fear is
      > like the tiny drop that does not want to merge into the vast
      ocean. It
      > wants to maintain its individuality and personality. The finite is
      > afraid of the Infinite and, at the same time, it does not want to
      > confess its fear. But the vast ocean knows that its individuality
      and
      > personality are composed of countless drops of water. The infinite
      > knows that it has become infinite precisely because it houses the
      > finite in infinite measure.
      >
      > On the physical plane, there are two types of fear: Fear of the
      > imaginary and fear of the real. Imaginary fear is far worse than
      real
      > fear because we are afraid of something that we can only imagine.
      We
      > are afraid of death because we feel that death will take away all
      our
      > earth's wants, all our earth's love, all our earth's oneness. Here
      we
      > achieve, here we accomplish; but we have no idea what is going to
      > happen to us in the other world. We have no idea if we shall go to
      > Heaven or to hell. Here on earth at least we know that we have our
      > dear ones and relatives to look after us. But we do not know
      whether
      > we shall meet with our dear ones in the other world or whether
      there
      > will be anyone to look after us. In fact, we do not even know if
      there
      > is another world. Therefore, the very thought, the very idea, the
      very
      > conception of death frightens us.
      >
      > Like imaginary fear, we can have imaginary courage. The worst
      > possible imaginary courage is the courage of an atheist. He is
      > infinitely more insignificant than an atom in that he challenges
      and
      > denies God's existence. God is infinite. God is eternal. God is
      > immortal. Yet the atheist challenges God's existence; he denies
      God's
      > existence or speaks ill of God.
      >
      > There are some human beings who do not pray and do not meditate,
      yet
      > they feel that they have boundless peace to offer to the world at
      > large. This is their imaginary courage. Or there are some human
      beings
      > who feel that they can have the world drop down at their feet at
      the
      > twinkling of an eye. Like Julius Caesar, they feel that they will
      be
      > able to say, "I came, I saw, I conquered." This is all imaginary
      > courage, for they are afraid of something or other. They are
      afraid of
      > a tiny, imaginary thought. A tiny thought will enter into them,
      say,
      > that their parents or dear ones are being attacked and are in very
      > serious condition. Then for quite a few years this wicked thought
      can
      > command them most mercilessly. Yet these human beings say that the
      > whole world can be placed at their feet if they want it.
      > Fear of the known, fear of the unknown and fear of the unknowable.
      We
      > have done many things undivine; therefore, we are afraid of the
      > consequences. We know that as we sow, so we shall reap. The law of
      > karma nobody can deny. If we have done something wrong, then we
      have
      > to pay the penalty. Here what we fear is quite known. But there is
      > also the unknown fear. If we do something wrong today, then we feel
      > that in the near future we are going to suffer for it. We have no
      idea
      > if the punishment will be severe or not. But we do know that we
      will
      > be punished. The very thought of the punishment tortures us.
      Although
      > the real punishment we shall get later on, right now the unknown
      fear,
      > the fear of the unknown, tortures us.
      >
      > Fear of the unknowable is fear of what is going to happen in our
      life
      > or after our death-fear, for example, that there may be a
      catastrophe
      > and this world of ours will not last. This unknowable can be
      positive
      > or negative. Infinite Light is an unknowable Reality and it can
      > frighten us. Infinite night, darkness, is also an unknowable
      reality
      > that can frighten us. The infinite Light is a positive force; the
      > infinite night is a negative force,
      >
      > We speak of the Universal Consciousness; we speak of the
      > Transcendental Consciousness. We achieve both the Universal
      > Consciousness and the Transcendental Consciousness on the strength
      of
      > our inner courage. Inner courage is nothing but constant self-
      giving.
      > Here we are all seekers. Before we became seekers we stayed with
      our
      > desire-friends, but now our friend is aspiration. God granted
      courage
      > to our body before we were spiritual, before we aspired. He thought
      > that with this courage we would be fully alert. He gave courage to
      our
      > vital. He thought that with this courage our vital would be
      dynamic.
      > He gave courage to our mind. He felt that with this courage our
      mind
      > would be completely clear. He gave courage to our heart. He thought
      > that with this courage our heart would be totally pure. Then we
      became
      > seekers. Now God has given our heart the power of oneness. He has
      > given our mind the power of wideness. He has given our vital the
      power
      > of compassion. He has given our body the power of sacrifice.
      > Then He tells us, "Children, don't be afraid of the known, don't be
      > afraid of the unknown, don't be afraid of the unknowable. Have
      courage
      > in the known. And then, after a while, you will have courage in the
      > unknown. And have courage that even the unknowable will one day
      become
      > not only knowable but completely known.
      >
      > "Your parents, your grandparents, your ancestors prayed to Me.
      > Therefore they received Light from Me. Their light has entered into
      > you and you have become spiritual. And now, if you pray and you
      > meditate, you will also get Light from Me. Your light far surpasses
      > that of your parents, grandparents and ancestors. There is no
      > competition, but in the process of evolution I am manifesting
      Myself
      > in and through human beings more and more. There shall come a time
      > when I, the Unknowable, will appear before you with My infinite
      Peace,

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
        Dear Sarah,

        Sri Chinmoy's writings can do that.

        I feel they are flooded with wisdom, light and God's Love. Therefore, they
        can move us to our core, and stir up a dormant inner cry, a cry that
        has been either longing to be expressed, or searching for an answer
        which it feels in those words.

        in oneness, Kamalakanta

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle