Sri Chinmoy's Writings on "Courage"

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
      [All quotes below are unofficial]

      Courage is one of the most necessary qualities in the spiritual life.

      It takes courage to embark on the inner journey to self-discovery. It
      takes courage to continue on the journey. It takes indomitable courage
      to reach the Goal of Goals.

      "The significance of life
      Is the constant presence
      Of inner courage."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      The spiritual life is not easy. In all the books I have read, from the
      Bible to Budha to Ramakrishna to Sri Chinmoy, I have never read that
      the spiritual life is easy.

      I think Sri Chinmoy has even described God-realisation as "climbing ten
      thousand Himalayas".

      Yet the fact that there have been people who have realised God is
      proof ultimate that it can be achieved.

      As truth-seekers and God-lovers, we need sincerity and courage to
      proceed on our journey.

      Today I feel inspired to share with you some of Sri Chinmoy's writings
      on courage:

      "Courage

      In one of the Upanishads, it says that the soul is not to be won by
      the weakling. Courage is absolutely necessary in the spiritual life.
      The very acceptance of the spiritual life demands enormous courage. It
      is only a divinely courageous soul, only a divinely inspired soul,
      that can swiftly reach the highest Goal.

      This courage is not the courage of a haughty, rough person who will
      strike others to assert his superiority; it is totally different. This
      courage is our constant awareness of what we are entering into, of
      what we are going to become, of what we are going to reveal. We have
      to jump courageously into the ocean of spirituality, but we have to
      know that we are not jumping into the sea of uncertainty. Uncertainty
      and spirituality never go together. When we speak of courage, we have
      to know that courage means certainty.

      It is not by hook or by crook that we are going to have
      God-realisation; it is through constant self-offering. Self-offering
      is the most powerful weapon, for it is in self-offering that true
      courage lies. When we know, feel and realise that God is ours and we
      are God's, we get spontaneous courage streaming forth.
      God and you are eternally one, each fulfilling the other. If you have
      indomitable courage or the soul's Willpower, you can fulfil the
      Supreme and the Supreme can fulfil you. This you feel on the strength
      of your all-giving, all-sacrificing inner courage."
      Sri Chinmoy

      * * * * * * * * *

      "Fear And Courage

      We may be afraid of God. God's infinite Vastness frightens us. God's
      transcendental Height frightens us. God's immeasurable Depth frightens us.
      God is both Truth and Light. God the Truth tries to lead us to the
      perfect Truth. But we unfortunately feel that God the Truth is always
      examining us. We feel that since we are a mountain of falsehood, since
      we are making mistakes at every moment, God the Truth will punish us.
      But God is all Compassion. He does not punish us. On the contrary, He
      tries to illumine our mistakes and make us perfect. In the process of
      evolution, He tells us that falsehood is nothing but lesser Truth. We
      have to transcend falsehood and then enter into Truth. And for that,
      we need a constant inner cry, which we call aspiration.
      Just as we are afraid of God the Truth, so also are we afraid of God
      the Light. We feel that God the Light will expose us, since we have
      done many undivine things. If someone commits a theft, he wants to
      hide. He is afraid of light. He feels that if he is in light, he will
      be exposed. But God the Light is totally different. Here the Light
      does not expose us; it illumines us. The Light tells us that darkness
      also has a little light, that night too has a little bit of light.
      God, being all Light, is all-pervading. Therefore, He is bound to be
      in darkness as well as in Light. Of course, when He is in darkness, He
      will have only a very small amount of Light, whereas in an aspiring
      human being He will manifest boundless Light. Again, even if there is
      just a little light, this light will grow into boundless Light. It is
      like the seed that grows into a banyan tree.

      Fear and courage. Fear has capacity in a negative way. It rejects
      oneness. It wants to remain always individual and separate. Fear is
      like the tiny drop that does not want to merge into the vast ocean. It
      wants to maintain its individuality and personality. The finite is
      afraid of the Infinite and, at the same time, it does not want to
      confess its fear. But the vast ocean knows that its individuality and
      personality are composed of countless drops of water. The infinite
      knows that it has become infinite precisely because it houses the
      finite in infinite measure.

      On the physical plane, there are two types of fear: Fear of the
      imaginary and fear of the real. Imaginary fear is far worse than real
      fear because we are afraid of something that we can only imagine. We
      are afraid of death because we feel that death will take away all our
      earth's wants, all our earth's love, all our earth's oneness. Here we
      achieve, here we accomplish; but we have no idea what is going to
      happen to us in the other world. We have no idea if we shall go to
      Heaven or to hell. Here on earth at least we know that we have our
      dear ones and relatives to look after us. But we do not know whether
      we shall meet with our dear ones in the other world or whether there
      will be anyone to look after us. In fact, we do not even know if there
      is another world. Therefore, the very thought, the very idea, the very
      conception of death frightens us.

      Like imaginary fear, we can have imaginary courage. The worst
      possible imaginary courage is the courage of an atheist. He is
      infinitely more insignificant than an atom in that he challenges and
      denies God's existence. God is infinite. God is eternal. God is
      immortal. Yet the atheist challenges God's existence; he denies God's
      existence or speaks ill of God.

      There are some human beings who do not pray and do not meditate, yet
      they feel that they have boundless peace to offer to the world at
      large. This is their imaginary courage. Or there are some human beings
      who feel that they can have the world drop down at their feet at the
      twinkling of an eye. Like Julius Caesar, they feel that they will be
      able to say, "I came, I saw, I conquered." This is all imaginary
      courage, for they are afraid of something or other. They are afraid of
      a tiny, imaginary thought. A tiny thought will enter into them, say,
      that their parents or dear ones are being attacked and are in very
      serious condition. Then for quite a few years this wicked thought can
      command them most mercilessly. Yet these human beings say that the
      whole world can be placed at their feet if they want it.
      Fear of the known, fear of the unknown and fear of the unknowable. We
      have done many things undivine; therefore, we are afraid of the
      consequences. We know that as we sow, so we shall reap. The law of
      karma nobody can deny. If we have done something wrong, then we have
      to pay the penalty. Here what we fear is quite known. But there is
      also the unknown fear. If we do something wrong today, then we feel
      that in the near future we are going to suffer for it. We have no idea
      if the punishment will be severe or not. But we do know that we will
      be punished. The very thought of the punishment tortures us. Although
      the real punishment we shall get later on, right now the unknown fear,
      the fear of the unknown, tortures us.

      Fear of the unknowable is fear of what is going to happen in our life
      or after our death-fear, for example, that there may be a catastrophe
      and this world of ours will not last. This unknowable can be positive
      or negative. Infinite Light is an unknowable Reality and it can
      frighten us. Infinite night, darkness, is also an unknowable reality
      that can frighten us. The infinite Light is a positive force; the
      infinite night is a negative force,

      We speak of the Universal Consciousness; we speak of the
      Transcendental Consciousness. We achieve both the Universal
      Consciousness and the Transcendental Consciousness on the strength of
      our inner courage. Inner courage is nothing but constant self-giving.
      Here we are all seekers. Before we became seekers we stayed with our
      desire-friends, but now our friend is aspiration. God granted courage
      to our body before we were spiritual, before we aspired. He thought
      that with this courage we would be fully alert. He gave courage to our
      vital. He thought that with this courage our vital would be dynamic.
      He gave courage to our mind. He felt that with this courage our mind
      would be completely clear. He gave courage to our heart. He thought
      that with this courage our heart would be totally pure. Then we became
      seekers. Now God has given our heart the power of oneness. He has
      given our mind the power of wideness. He has given our vital the power
      of compassion. He has given our body the power of sacrifice.
      Then He tells us, "Children, don't be afraid of the known, don't be
      afraid of the unknown, don't be afraid of the unknowable. Have courage
      in the known. And then, after a while, you will have courage in the
      unknown. And have courage that even the unknowable will one day become
      not only knowable but completely known.

      "Your parents, your grandparents, your ancestors prayed to Me.
      Therefore they received Light from Me. Their light has entered into
      you and you have become spiritual. And now, if you pray and you
      meditate, you will also get Light from Me. Your light far surpasses
      that of your parents, grandparents and ancestors. There is no
      competition, but in the process of evolution I am manifesting Myself
      in and through human beings more and more. There shall come a time
      when I, the Unknowable, will appear before you with My infinite Peace,
      Light and Bliss, and these will all become known to you. At that time,
      you shall have courage within, courage without. When you dive deep
      within, with your inner courage, you play with God the Creator. And
      when you bring your outer courage to the fore, you play with God the
      Creation. This is how you participate in My cosmic Game."

      -Sri Chinmoy

      University of Geneva
      Geneva, Switzerland

      Some poems on courage:

      "There is no other way
      To please your inner self
      than to be, yourself,
      A perfect emblem of courage."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      "Courage
      Is God's successful inspiration
      In man's body, mind, heart and soul."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      "God is within me.
      Therefore, I am precious.
      God is for me.
      Therefore, I am courageous."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      "Courageously surmount each obstacle
      On your spiritual journey
      And continue to walk, march and run
      Along the sunlit path."
      -Sri Chinmoy

      ************************

      My gratitude to all those who post and read this site.

      in oneness, Kamalakanta
    • sarah_inseattle
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
        Kamalakanta,

        I am appreciating this post like anything; it is moving me to tears
        in some way that I do not understand.

        >It is not by hook or by crook that we are going to have
        > God-realisation; it is through constant self-offering. Self-
        offering
        > is the most powerful weapon, for it is in self-offering that true
        > courage lies.

        How can we increase our self-offering? What is the path to self-
        offering?

        > "God is within me.
        > Therefore, I am precious.
        > God is for me.
        > Therefore, I am courageous."
        > -Sri Chinmoy

        In oneness,
        Sarah
        Seattle

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
          Dear Sarah,

          Sri Chinmoy's writings can do that.

          I feel they are flooded with wisdom, light and God's Love. Therefore, they
          can move us to our core, and stir up a dormant inner cry, a cry that
          has been either longing to be expressed, or searching for an answer
          which it feels in those words.

          in oneness, Kamalakanta

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle