musical concert

  • christopher_australia
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hello All!

      With great delight I have once again returned to the Sri Chinmoy
      Inspiration group.

      Over the past weekend I was delighted to have the opportunity to perform
      2 concerts of Sri Chinmoy's music in sunny Brisbane, Australia, with
      my two good friends Rathin
      (http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/rathin_boulton)
      and Maleenendra. Arriving early Friday morning from our respective and
      distant homes (Australia is a vast country!) we spent a solid few hours
      finalising arrangements and rehearsing the songs we were to perform.

      The first concert took place at the Indian Bazaar festival. The Bazaar
      was held over two days at the Mt Gravat showgrounds and showcased a wide
      array of all things Indian. The Brisbane Sri Chinmoy Centre had set up a
      beautiful stall there, featuring an array of Jharna Kala's
      (http://www.srichinmoyart.com) , many of Sri Chinmoy's books
      (http://www.srichinmoybooks.com) , a TV playing some of Sri
      Chinmoy's TV interviews and of course a selection of the delicious
      cuisine otherwise to be found at My Heart Garden (the newly opened
      vegetarian eatery run by centre). Quite a few other spiritual groups had
      also set up stalls at the Bazaar, and combined with some tasteful
      collections of statuettes of many of the cosmic gods, there was some
      soulful respite to be found amongst the overriding Bollywood theme. As
      we watched passers-by stopping to appreciate the Jharna Kala's and the
      delicious cooking of Durba and Kapila
      (http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/kapila_moses)
      there was also the reassurance that our presence provided a sincere
      representation of Mother India's rich spiritual heritage.

      Our initial performance at the Indian Bazaar was slightly hampered by
      technical difficulties. The mysterious Indian sense of time was
      operating as per usual, and when we finally made it onto the main stage
      we had at least had the time to run through our set an additional 3
      times. However, as we began to play the realisation soon dawned that our
      sound engineer was somewhat ill equipped to produce a live sound from
      our instruments. Looking pleadingly in his direction was only rewarded
      with additional amounts of feedback. We pressed on through our set and
      were met with applause on at least two occasions. Shortly after, when
      reviewing the video footage taken by Durba, we did realise that the
      feedback had not been particularly audible to the audience and that
      Maleenendra's voice had at least carried the essence of the songs to the
      small crowd. Taking the experience in our stride, we turned our thoughts
      to the following day's performance at St Mary's Catholic Church.

      St Mary's was a wonderful contrast to the relative chaos of the Indian
      Bazaar. A most ecumenical community led by one of the most kind-hearted
      and friendly priests we had ever met were delighted to have us perform
      at their Saturday evening function. About 50 people were gathered for
      soulful reflection and meditation, providing the perfect environment to
      manifest the exquisite beauty of Sri Chinmoy's timeless songs.

      We set up our instruments and microphones directly in front of a
      beautiful altar and were invited to perform at several different times
      throughout the service, including during the meditation. The acoustics
      were wonderful and Maleenendra's voice rang out angel-like, accompanied
      by two guitars and harmonium. Afterwards, we received many kind words of
      appreciation and an invitation to perform again the next time we were in
      town. They were truly touched by the soulfulness of the music and
      lamented that we could not perform for them every week.

      We returned triumphantly to the Indian Bazaar to share our experience
      with our brothers and sisters and to fill our stomachs with as many
      gulab jamuns as possible. It was a really wonderful weekend and we offer
      our most heartfelt thanks to the Brisbane centre for hosting us and
      organising the performances.

      Click here: http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/features/radio/94 If you
      would like to hear a live recording of the concert we performed in
      Brisbane last year.

      In oneness,
      Christopher, Melbourne
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
        Dear Christopher,

        I can't wait to hear the music! Did you guys record?

        in oneness, Kamalakanta

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, christopher_australia
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > throughout the service, including during the meditation. The acoustics
        > were wonderful and Maleenendra's voice rang out angel-like, accompanied
        > by two guitars and harmonium. Afterwards, we received many kind words of
        > appreciation and an invitation to perform again the next time we were in
        > town. They were truly touched by the soulfulness of the music and
        > lamented that we could not perform for them every week.
        >
        > We returned triumphantly to the Indian Bazaar to share our experience
        > with our brothers and sisters and to fill our stomachs with as many
        > gulab jamuns as possible. It was a really wonderful weekend and we offer
        > our most heartfelt thanks to the Brisbane centre for hosting us and
        > organising the performances.
        >
        > Click here: http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/features/radio/94 If you
        > would like to hear a live recording of the concert we performed in

      • anuraktaanurakta
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
          Hello!

          Thank you Christopher for the colourful, detailed, and delightful
          message.

          I would have loved to have been there. It sounds like a nice
          atmosphere with the various cultures and statues etc.

          On the same weekend a group of us, mainly from Christchurch, gave a
          concert in Dunedin, a lovely city 5 hours south of Christchurch. As
          the third and final concert in a series of three, it felt like a
          tighter and more confident performance. Sushmitam kindly flew in from
          Australia to join us. The concert would not have been the same without
          her rich cello melodies - we are really grateful for her oneness and
          support (and the weekend would not have been the same without her
          Aussie humour!).

          Dunedin, the world's southernmost Sri Chinmoy Centre, is nestled
          amongst the hills and valleys of the Otago plains. It was first
          settled by the Scots. The name comes from Dùn Èideann, the Scottish
          Gaelic name for Edinburgh. Dotted around the town are many historical
          sites including some interesting churches. They are easily noticed by
          their spires and tall turrets. You can go to:
          http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/nz/dunedin

          The next day Dunedin turned on perfect spring weather for Sri
          Chinmoy Marathon Team's first-ever race in the city.

          To see Photos of New Zealand concerts go to:
          http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/nz/christchurch/concerts

          Also of great Inspirational value is a new Divine enterprise for
          Christchurch. It has been 2 months in the making. It now looks perfect
          and it will only blossom in to something even better. Here are some
          photos:
          http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/nz/christchurch/the_lotus_heart_gifts

          So that was my great weekend. Recordings of the concerts will be
          released on radiosrichinmoy sometime soon.

          Thank you. Anurakta

          <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > throughout the service, including during the meditation. The acoustics
          > were wonderful and Maleenendra's voice rang out angel-like, accompanied
          > by two guitars and harmonium. Afterwards, we received many kind words of
          > appreciation and an invitation to perform again the next time we were in
          > town. They were truly touched by the soulfulness of the music and
          > lamented that we could not perform for them every week.
          >
          > We returned triumphantly to the Indian Bazaar to share our experience
          > with our brothers and sisters and to fill our stomachs with as many
          > gulab jamuns as possible. It was a really wonderful weekend and we offer
          > our most heartfelt thanks to the Brisbane centre for hosting us and
          > organising the performances.
          >
          > Click here: http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/features/radio/94 If you
          > would like to hear a live recording of the concert we performed in

        • christopher_australia
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2006
            Dear Kamalakanta,

            Unfortunately we did not have the means to record either of our
            performances. However, if we are able to do so in the future you will
            be the first to know!

            in oneness,
            Christopher

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47