OT: Coyote Neighbors?

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2006
      Not so long ago, I saw a coyote for the first time in my life right in
      Providence, the biggest city in Rhode Island. I was dropping a friend
      off at her house around 10:30 at night and she lives adjacent to a 3
      mile long boulevard which contains a path down its middle for walking
      and running. As we drove alongside the boulevard, we sighted this
      animal she said she regularly sees on the boulevard just at night. We
      stopped the car and were staring at it wondering if it was a wolf or
      wild dog when a late night stroller told us it was a coyote. We asked
      her if she was afraid of walking late at night with the coyote nearby
      and she said she's more afraid of human "predators" than animal ones.
      She said that if people ignore the coyote it will ignore you although
      it will consider a small pet left out at night as potential prey.

      I was rather amazed to see a coyote for the first time ever in an
      urban environment rather than perhaps in the deserts of Arizona where
      my parents live. Apparently their presence in populated areas is
      commonplace. The new issue of National Wildlife magazine has an
      article about coyotes that talks about one that received a lot of
      attention in New York's Central Park last March as well as other
      places many coyotes live such as Chicago and Seattle.

      The magazine's website contains a complete copy of the article with
      photos if you too find the subject interesting.
      http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?issueID=110&articleID=1404

      Now I guess if some evening I hear an unusual howling noise, it might
      just be the local coyotes singing at the moon!

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2006
        With an evening return from New York yesterday, I dropped off this
        friend who lives with a coyote in her midst around midnight. As I
        drove the last leg on to my home, I looked as I drove along the
        boulevard for any signs of this late night prowler.

        With no sign of coyotes this time, my thoughts drifted elsewhere as I
        contemplated how momentously lucky I am to easily make short trips to
        attend activities of our meditation centre with Sri Chinmoy in New York.

        I had the chance to say hi earlier that day to friends made in this
        forum who had flown in from Canada, Hungary and Switzerland to share
        in a special meditation. I returned home much richer inwardly and
        consoled that if one rides out the bumps (some of you will know to
        what I refer if you follow my "soap opera" ;-)closely), the journey
        eventually soars upward again. That must be partly why Sri Chinmoy
        emphasizes to never give up as a central tenet of his philosophy - he
        spoke about this self-same subject eloquently just earlier today at
        our function.

        My car turned a corner to go over a bridge across the river
        separating the town I live in from that of my car companion back to
        Rhode Island and there it was! I saw a coyote running through the
        grassy area to the left of the bridge's approach. My association with
        coyotes as late-night neighbors proved accurate after all.

        Coyotes and never giving up - forging some clever narrative connection
        between the two eludes me at the moment but both at least helped keep
        me awake and alert as I made my midnight sojourn home.

        > Not so long ago, I saw a coyote for the first time in my life right in
        > Providence, the biggest city in Rhode Island. I was dropping a friend
        > off at her house around 10:30 at night and she lives adjacent to a 3
        > mile long boulevard which contains a path down its middle for walking
        > and running. As we drove alongside the boulevard, we sighted this
        > animal she said she regularly sees on the boulevard just at night. We
        > stopped the car and were staring at it wondering if it was a wolf or
        > wild dog when a late night stroller told us it was a coyote. We asked
        > her if she was afraid of walking late at night with the coyote nearby
        > and she said she's more afraid of human "predators" than animal ones.
        > She said that if people ignore the coyote it will ignore you although
        > it will consider a small pet left out at night as potential prey.
        >
        > I was rather amazed to see a coyote for the first time ever in an
        > urban environment rather than perhaps in the deserts of Arizona where
        > my parents live. Apparently their presence in populated areas is
        > commonplace. The new issue of National Wildlife magazine has an
        > article about coyotes that talks about one that received a lot of
        > attention in New York's Central Park last March as well as other
        > places many coyotes live such as Chicago and Seattle.
        >
        > The magazine's website contains a complete copy of the article with
        > photos if you too find the subject interesting.

        http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?issueID=110&articleID=1404

        > Now I guess if some evening I hear an unusual howling noise, it might
        > just be the local coyotes singing at the moon!
        >
        > Sharani

      • kathywayment158
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2006
          Never Giving Up...This post CERTAINLY has come at the right time for
          me today...Thank you!!

> [...]
          > >
          > > I was rather amazed to see a coyote for the first time ever in an
          > > urban environment rather than perhaps in the deserts of Arizona
          where
          > > my parents live. Apparently their presence in populated areas is
          > > commonplace. The new issue of National Wildlife magazine has an
          > > article about coyotes that talks about one that received a lot of
          > > attention in New York's Central Park last March as well as other
          > > places many coyotes live such as Chicago and Seattle.
          > >
          > > The magazine's website contains a complete copy of the article
          with
          > > photos if you too find the subject interesting.
          > >
          > http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?
          issueID=110&articleID=1404

          > > Now I guess if some evening I hear an unusual howling noise, it
          might
          > > just be the local coyotes singing at the moon!

        • sarah_inseattle
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 18, 2006
            Hi Sharani,

            Would it be possible for you to share some of last weekend's talk
            about never giving up?

            What really resonates with me about this post is the idea of
            spiritual "bumps-in-the-road." We sometimes talk about having "dry"
            periods in the spiritual life, where our aspiration flags from some
            nameless apathy. They don't feel the same, somehow.

            Of course, if I were more spiritually advanced, I would be immune to
            bumps in the road. But I try not to berate myself when my aspiration
            flags. It is so counter-productive. It can be tempting for the mind
            to project the future, that aspiration will always be so difficult
            as it may be at the moment. But the most important goal of all goals
            is, never give up.

            This, too, shall pass. It's just a bump in the road.

            Love,
            Sarah
            Seattle

> [...]
            > >
            > > I was rather amazed to see a coyote for the first time ever in an
            > > urban environment rather than perhaps in the deserts of Arizona
            where
            > > my parents live. Apparently their presence in populated areas is
            > > commonplace. The new issue of National Wildlife magazine has an
            > > article about coyotes that talks about one that received a lot of
            > > attention in New York's Central Park last March as well as other
            > > places many coyotes live such as Chicago and Seattle.
            > >
            > > The magazine's website contains a complete copy of the article
            with
            > > photos if you too find the subject interesting.
            > >
            > http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?
            issueID=110&articleID=1404

            > > Now I guess if some evening I hear an unusual howling noise, it
            might
            > > just be the local coyotes singing at the moon!

          • kathywayment158
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 18, 2006
              Sarah said "It can be tempting for the mind
              > to project the future, that aspiration will always be so difficult
              > as it may be at the moment. But the most important goal of all
              goals
              > is, never give up."

              > This, too, shall pass. It's just a bump in the road.

              Very good points made here Sarah...I agree with you...and I'm
              struggling with some things this week but you've summed up my
              feelings perfectly on this subject..

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 19, 2006
                Hi Sarah,
                It wasn't much of a talk really - more a reiteration of the importance
                of never giving up because a long-cherished hope finally was realized.
                So never give up because you never know when the goal might finally be
                reached! When I'm running on all pistons and not sidelined with being
                sick, I'll write more on this interesting topic.

                Until then wishing you and all the smallest of bumps in the road,
                Sharani

                <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > I was rather amazed to see a coyote for the first time ever in an
                > > > urban environment rather than perhaps in the deserts of Arizona
                > where
                > > > my parents live. Apparently their presence in populated areas is
                > > > commonplace. The new issue of National Wildlife magazine has an
                > > > article about coyotes that talks about one that received a lot of
                > > > attention in New York's Central Park last March as well as other
                > > > places many coyotes live such as Chicago and Seattle.
                > > >
                > > > The magazine's website contains a complete copy of the article
                > with
                > > > photos if you too find the subject interesting.
                > > >
                > > http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?
                > issueID=110&articleID=1404
                > > >
                > > > Now I guess if some evening I hear an unusual howling noise, it
                > might
                > > > just be the local coyotes singing at the moon!

              • olga_nevergiveup
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 20, 2006
                  It's true, that when we approach to what we are doing with
                  slogan "Never give up", almost everything becomes possible.

                  The interesting thing is that what for one people seems to be almost
                  impossible, for other this just daily routine.

                  Do you think that it is possible to carry the body of a car on a
                  regular bicycle? If you doubt it is possible, just check this link
                  and you will see that there is no limits what you can carry on a
                  bicycle or a scooter!

                  http://aistigave.hit.bg/Logistics/

                  :-)

                  Olga

> [...]
                  > > > spoke about this self-same subject eloquently just earlier
                  today at
                  > > > our function.
                  > > >
                  > > > My car turned a corner to go over a bridge across the river
                  > > > separating the town I live in from that of my car companion
                  back to
                  > > > Rhode Island and there it was! I saw a coyote running through
                  the
                  > > > grassy area to the left of the bridge's approach. My
                  association
                  > > with
                  > > > coyotes as late-night neighbors proved accurate after all.
                  > > >
                  > > > Coyotes and never giving up - forging some clever narrative
                  > > connection
                  > > > between the two eludes me at the moment but both at least
                  helped
                  > > keep
                  > > > me awake and alert as I made my midnight sojourn home.

                • sarah_inseattle
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 20, 2006
                    Sharani,

                    > So never give up because you never know when the goal might
                    finally be
                    > reached!

                    Now this is something I have never considered. I won't always
                    *know* how close I am to reaching the goal...?

                    Sarah-of-the-shrinking-bumps,
                    Seattle
                    :-)

> [...]
                    > > > spoke about this self-same subject eloquently just earlier
                    today at
                    > > > our function.
                    > > >
                    > > > My car turned a corner to go over a bridge across the river
                    > > > separating the town I live in from that of my car companion
                    back to
                    > > > Rhode Island and there it was! I saw a coyote running through
                    the
                    > > > grassy area to the left of the bridge's approach. My
                    association
                    > > with
                    > > > coyotes as late-night neighbors proved accurate after all.
                    > > >
                    > > > Coyotes and never giving up - forging some clever narrative
                    > > connection
                    > > > between the two eludes me at the moment but both at least
                    helped
                    > > keep
                    > > > me awake and alert as I made my midnight sojourn home.

                  • suchana27
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 21, 2006
                      Hi, Sharani!

                      I am enjoying reading your postings because I didn´t know there were
                      coyotes so near your towns! My only knowledge of coyotes is connected
                      to a very popular cartoon called ´the roadrunner´ where the coyote
                      never gives up its attempts to catch a fast bird.

                      In my case, also, I had the very unusual experience of finding an
                      iguana in my neighbourhood when I was peacefully walking along a street
                      in my way to work. Can you imagine? It seems there are some people who
                      like keeping this kind of pets at home but I was told that laws don´t
                      allow their trade. Well, two days after by chance, I saw a very small
                      Australian colored parrot just around the corner that was eating some
                      grass without paying attention to the world around. The climate
                      conditions are changing fast; I never imagined I could get such
                      tropical God´s creation a few steps away from my house!

                      In oneness-joy,

                      Suchana

                      PS: hope your health is ok today!:)

> [...]
                      > >
                      > > I was rather amazed to see a coyote for the first time ever in an
                      > > urban environment rather than perhaps in the deserts of Arizona
                      where
                      > > my parents live. Apparently their presence in populated areas is
                      > > commonplace. The new issue of National Wildlife magazine has an
                      > > article about coyotes that talks about one that received a lot of
                      > > attention in New York's Central Park last March as well as other
                      > > places many coyotes live such as Chicago and Seattle.
                      > >
                      > > The magazine's website contains a complete copy of the article with
                      > > photos if you too find the subject interesting.

                      http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?issueID=110&articleID=14\
                      04

                      > > Now I guess if some evening I hear an unusual howling noise, it
                      might
                      > > just be the local coyotes singing at the moon!

                    • doriscott20002000
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 21, 2006
                        Hello Olga,

                        I am a passionate bike rider and have transported already SOME
                        impossible things but what people are able to carry on bikes and
                        motorbikes is unbelievable!

                        Thanks for the so funny pictures (except for the pig, chicken and
                        dug ones of course)they made me laugh heartily.

                        Doris

                        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, olga_nevergiveup