Function report, Wednesday 27 September

  • morrisklein27
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2006
      Tonight the meditation started a little earlier, at six-thirty, rather
      than at eight. The reason was that Sri Chinmoy was given an honorary
      degree from a distinguished Bangladeshi University. The Chancellor of
      the University flew all the way from Bangladesh to confer this honor
      upon Sri Chinmoy.

      Sri Chinmoy performed on the esraj for a few minutes; and then he
      meditated in silence with the guests from the school. After that, the
      Chancellor spoke about the history of the University and presented Sri
      Chinmoy with the honorary degree. The gentleman spoke at length about
      Sri Chinmoy's tireless efforts towards world peace, and in particular
      his Oneness-Heart-Tears-And-Smiles programme which offers humanitarian
      aid to the needy all over the world.

      Sri Chinmoy, on accepting the award, spoke about how he lives in
      America, but his heart remains in Bangladesh. And he reminisced about
      his native village, Shakpura, and the nearby city, Chittagong, and he
      said that he treasures his happy memories of his childhood there. He
      also said that he is offering his heart's gratitude-tears to his
      mother and father and also to his brothers and sisters, who are now in
      Heaven. Maybe Sri Chinmoy wanted to invoke their memory on this
      special occasion.

      After that, Sri Chinmoy lifted the Chancellor and offered his deepest
      gratitude to the man for offering him this great honour.

      Many groups performed tonight. I particularly enjoyed Satyajit's
      group's performance. They recite Guru's devotional poetry and sing
      his songs in a very simple way. But their sheer simplicity and
      sweetness adds a lot to my Wednesday night meditation. Sri Chinmoy
      once remarked that when Satyajit's group performs, that people who are
      sincere seekers get tremendous benefit. He remarked that he himself
      enjoys their performances very much.

      After that, Sri Chinmoy read out some poems by a Bengali writer of the
      last century whose name I don't recall. He then also spoke about a
      famous Bengali novelist, Sarat Chandra, who was really supremely
      great. He said that Sarat Chandra and Rabindranath Tagore were great
      rivals. He also remarked that Sarat Chandra had a dog which was
      uglier than the ugliest and, at the same time, ferocious. Sarat
      Chandra had many literary admirers, who were themselves writers of the
      highest order. They would come to his house and the dog would snarl
      and bite them. But they used to offer the dog so much love. And when
      the dog died, Sarat Chandra cried as if his own mother or father had
      died. And his friends and literary admirers wrote poems and stories
      about this cur and read them out at its funeral!

      Today, September 27, was our late and beloved Jagatarini's birthday.
      There was a big photograph of Jagatarini beside Sri Chinmoy's chair.
      She was smiling in the photograph, wearing a beautiful garland of
      marigolds. He spoke about her tireless service to the spiritual
      cause, and how her immense soul had come to bless us all. The singers
      sang beautiful songs in her memory. I will miss her very much, and
      will always cherish her incredible strength and sincere affection.

      Today is also Sri Chinmoy's twenty-third cello anniversary! What a
      remarkable anniversary indeed. Many, many congratulations to Sri
      Chinmoy on this great occasion. I happen to like the cello very much
      but am afraid I'm too old to learn how to play. But maybe following
      Sri Chinmoy's teachings means that we're never too old for anything!

      It's getting late so I'll sign off now.

      With gratitude to my vast spiritual family,

      Morris

      To me, music is not
      Something that we see.
      Music is not even
      Something that we feel.
      Music is something
      That we must
      Grow into.

      (Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees #9346-9348)
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-trees/part10/348.html

      Soulful communion with the God-Melody
      Brings forward
      Our heart's intense cry.

      (Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees # 15,780)
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-trees/part16/780.html
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2006
        Dear Morris,
        Thanks for sharing the news of this special evening with us. Until
        reading your message, I hadn't heard anything about it. Incidentally,
        at our centre meeting Wednesday night the meditation felt much more
        powerful than usual. Maybe we were feeling connected to the
        auspiciousness of the moment as it was happening. For his writings and
        compositions especially, I feel Sri Chinmoy is an eminently worthy
        recipient of an honorary degree. In the single book "The Inner
        Promise" alone, each essay provides what I think could be a lifetime's
        worth of philosophy to assimilate.

        Sharani

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, morrisklein27
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Chinmoy on this great occasion. I happen to like the cello very much
        > but am afraid I'm too old to learn how to play. But maybe following
        > Sri Chinmoy's teachings means that we're never too old for anything!
        >
        > It's getting late so I'll sign off now.
        >
        > With gratitude to my vast spiritual family,
        >

        > Morris
        >

        > To me, music is not
        > Something that we see.
        > Music is not even
        > Something that we feel.
        > Music is something
        > That we must
        > Grow into.
        >
        > (Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees #9346-9348)

        http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-trees/part10/348.html

        > Soulful communion with the God-Melody
        > Brings forward
        > Our heart's intense cry.
        >
        > (Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees # 15,780)

      • suchana27
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
          Hello Morris,

          I have just started update my reading of messages posted during
          August Celebrations and later. I am so happy and grateful for such
          beautiful news!

          I also keep a sweet affection for Jagatarini who worked so strongly
          in several of our countries trying to manifest the Light of the
          Supreme, and she succeeded!

          Please, write more about the following functions if you have a little
          time!

          Happy races!
          Suchana

          <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          much
          > but am afraid I'm too old to learn how to play. But maybe following
          > Sri Chinmoy's teachings means that we're never too old for anything!
          >
          > It's getting late so I'll sign off now.
          >
          > With gratitude to my vast spiritual family,
          >

          > Morris
          >

          > To me, music is not
          > Something that we see.
          > Music is not even
          > Something that we feel.
          > Music is something
          > That we must
          > Grow into.
          >
          > (Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees #9346-9348)
          > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-
          trees/part10/348.html

          > Soulful communion with the God-Melody
          > Brings forward
          > Our heart's intense cry.
          >
          > (Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees # 15,780)

        • karpani_ru
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2006
            Hello Morris,

            A big Thank You!! We have read out your news during our Wednesday
            night--so happy to learn that Sri Chinmoy has received an honorary
            degree from the Bangladeshi University. It was also great to see the
            profound and humorous moments of the function and very touching
            moments in Jagattarini's memory. Thank you for sharing with us; it
            means a lot!

            With gratitude,
            Karpani

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > Chinmoy on this great occasion. I happen to like the cello very much
            > but am afraid I'm too old to learn how to play. But maybe following
            > Sri Chinmoy's teachings means that we're never too old for anything!
            >
            > It's getting late so I'll sign off now.
            >
            > With gratitude to my vast spiritual family,
            >

            > Morris
            >

            > To me, music is not
            > Something that we see.
            > Music is not even
            > Something that we feel.
            > Music is something
            > That we must
            > Grow into.
            >
            > (Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees #9346-9348)

            http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-service-trees/part10/348.html

            > Soulful communion with the God-Melody
            > Brings forward
            > Our heart's intense cry.
            >
            > (Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees # 15,780)

          • koojena132004
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2006
              Hello Morris,

              What a coinsidence!!! The same wednesday meditation in our centre we
              were reading out the same story about the dog of a great novelist.

              Koojena, Macedonia
              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, karpani_ru