The "Impossible" happened

  • doriscott20002000
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2006
      Walking down the stairs coming back from a certain office I felt and
      looked very happy! (You may check # 18733 in relation to this
      statement.)

      What happened? The "Impossible!"

      I was supposed to have a difficult meeting.

      I thought of meditating before but found myself reflecting on
      different writings of Sri Chinmoy's.

      I thought of a poem Guru had written in honor of his brother
      Chitta's birthday. One line of the poem went as follows (unofficial):

      "Ruthless blows in infinite measure with a cheerful heart for me you
      endured - my brother Superior."

      Another thought came into the picture: I have seen Sri Chinmoy many
      times blessing people, encouraging people, cheering up people,
      smiling at people, lifting people, making gifts to people e.t.c.
      while to my shame I sometimes had critical thoughts about others.

      I remembered Nelson Mandela; he spent 27 LONG YEARS in jail and
      forgave his opponents.

      The Mahabharata came to mind: the Pandavas who had to spent MANY
      YEARS in exile in spite of being honest people forgave the
      Kauravas...

      I thought of one of my favourite poems that goes (unofficial):

      "In the next millenium, the goal of philosophy will be only to see
      the light in others. Then only will you be able to expedite the
      arrival of world-peace and world-oneness."

      I read many, many poems by Sri Chinmoy on positive thinking (if not
      each and every poem carries this message).

      With all these good thoughts I went out and inwardly I promised to
      follow their good examples and trying to be as positive as possible.

      In the beginning everything seemed to go wrong... I can't tell you
      the details... only that regret and apologies on the persons' behalf
      were pouring down on me; I had to accept a lot of gifts and good
      things it was planning to do for me. All kinds of knots were being
      opended up! And yes - that was it! :-)

      "Give and become" -Sri Chinmoy (unofficial)

      ...and get ;-)

      Doris
    • kathywayment158
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2006
        Very touching story Doris..

        Thanks for sharing this with me..
        It will certainly "stick with me" in days to come.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, doriscott20002000 <no_reply@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2006
          Hi Doris,
          times long after first reading it. Your selection of quotes and
          examples from notable individuals is compelling. If asked to rank
          things, I would probably choose seeing the good in others and winking
          at their shortcomings as one of the hardest aspects of Sri Chinmoy's
          philosophy and life example to successfully emulate in my own life.
          This is especially true if I'm in the midst of misunderstanding or
          disagreement with someone.

          Even though I'm calling it difficult, it might just be a major
          cornerstone of Sri Chinmoy's philosophy. Since he advocates changing
          yourself if you want to change the world, the focus shifts and since
          we are all interconnected suddenly it's ourselves we're working on not
          the other person.

          Here is an excerpt from the Sri Chinmoy Online library which contains
          an excellent answer to a question on this topic. The full answer is at:
          http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/meditation-humanity-race/part2/11.html

          "When somebody has done something wrong to you, try to feel either
          that it is an extended part of your consciousness which has made this
          deplorable mistake, or just feel that it is an experience you had for
          only a few seconds. The sooner you can rid yourself of the idea that
          somebody has done something to you, the better off you will be. You
          have had an unpleasant experience, and you will not be happy until you
          stop thinking about it...

          Always you have to feel that there are two ways to get out of worldly
          calamities. One way is to enlarge your heart. If you have been
          wronged, identify. Feel that it is you who have done wrong...
          The second way is to think of perfecting ourselves...Pay all attention
          to your own self-discovery, and when you have discovered yourself, you
          will see that there is nobody imperfect on earth. Everybody is perfect
          in you."
          -Sri Chinmoy "Meditation: Humanity's Race And Divinity's Grace, Part 2"

          I recently had one of those glimmer moments of "getting it" if only
          fleetingly. I was at the Aspiration-Ground attending a meditation
          session held early in the morning. Those of us conversant in group
          meditation know that if someone near you is drowsy or drifting to
          sleep, the vibration of it can be quite contagious. It must almost be
          like yawning and whistling (two things that are usually repeated by
          people around someone doing them).

          Well someone nearby me was nodding like a harvest party-goer bobbing
          for apples in the well. I started to feel tired too and distracted and
          found myself wishing they had stayed home if they found it so hard to
          remain awake. Suddenly I had one of those eureka moments where I
          realized that I had to take responsibility for my own lack or success
          of meditation at that time and that I should change my attitude and
          feel that the person near me was a part of my own larger self and that
          I must have my own issues with fatigue that I was mirroring onto them
          (I think in the world of psychology this gets talked about as an
          unconscious tendancy to mirror what we don't like in ourselves onto
          other people).

          As soon as I let go of my annoyance and felt like my focus should
          remain within myself, my own fatigue vanished. Instead of annoyance I
          felt goodwill for this neighbor trying to contribute to the group to
          the best of their capacity. I felt an inner wave of approval that I
          was barking up the right tree and before I knew it my meditation had
          transitioned into a deeper more positive place and the person nearby
          me woke up and stopped bobbing.

          I guess that was an example of this concept on a seemingly mundane
          level in my daily life but I feel it deserves to be memorized along
          with other times that I successfully steer clear of criticizing
          myself or others.

          In parting, here is a poem by Sri Chinmoy reinforcing this notion of
          how to create positive change

          Do you want to change the world?
          Then change yourself first.
          Do you want to change yourself?
          If so, remain completely silent
          Inside the silence-sea.
          -Sri Chinmoy
          http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flower-flames/part40/36.html

          Sharani

          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Walking down the stairs coming back from a certain office I felt and
          > looked very happy! (You may check # 18733 in relation to this
          > statement.)
          >
          > What happened? The "Impossible!"
          >
          > I was supposed to have a difficult meeting.
          >
          > I thought of meditating before but found myself reflecting on
          > different writings of Sri Chinmoy's.
          >
          > I thought of a poem Guru had written in honor of his brother
          > Chitta's birthday. One line of the poem went as follows (unofficial):
          >
          > "Ruthless blows in infinite measure with a cheerful heart for me you
          > endured - my brother Superior."
          >
          > Another thought came into the picture: I have seen Sri Chinmoy many
          > times blessing people, encouraging people, cheering up people,
          > smiling at people, lifting people, making gifts to people e.t.c.
          > while to my shame I sometimes had critical thoughts about others.
          >
          > I remembered Nelson Mandela; he spent 27 LONG YEARS in jail and
          > forgave his opponents.
          >
          > The Mahabharata came to mind: the Pandavas who had to spent MANY
          > YEARS in exile in spite of being honest people forgave the
          > Kauravas...
          >
          > I thought of one of my favourite poems that goes (unofficial):
          >
          > "In the next millenium, the goal of philosophy will be only to see
          > the light in others. Then only will you be able to expedite the
          > arrival of world-peace and world-oneness."
          >
          > I read many, many poems by Sri Chinmoy on positive thinking (if not
          > each and every poem carries this message).
          >
          > With all these good thoughts I went out and inwardly I promised to
          > follow their good examples and trying to be as positive as possible.
          >
          > In the beginning everything seemed to go wrong... I can't tell you
          > the details... only that regret and apologies on the persons' behalf
          > were pouring down on me; I had to accept a lot of gifts and good
          > things it was planning to do for me. All kinds of knots were being
          > opended up! And yes - that was it! :-)
          >
          > "Give and become" -Sri Chinmoy (unofficial)
          >
          > ...and get ;-)
          >
          > Doris

        • Arun Bhardwaj
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 26, 2006
            Dear Nayak,

            Maha = big, or biggest
            Samrat = King

            It can be translated at the big king of bodybuilding.

            Regards,
            - ARUN, India

            [Dear Arun, welcome!

            Please:

            1) Set your member preferences to hide your email address
            To help stay safe online, please set your member preferences
            so that your email address will not be visible.
            After joining, click on this link (it will open in a new window):

            Check the box where it says "Hide my email and IP address from the group
            moderators"
            Under "Message Delivery", select "No email. Don't send me emails..."
            Under "Message Format", select "Do not convert to HTML..."
            Save/Accept the changes
            Make sure you save the changes (click on "Save Changes"). Now when you post, your email
            address will not be visible to the public.

            2) Turn off invitations

            First click on this link (it will open in a new window):

            If you are asked to sign in, do so now.
            Once you have signed in, a page listing your known email addresses will appear.
            To the far right of each email address is the word "Edit" in blue. Click on it.
            Under "Group Invitations" you will see checkboxes which say:

            Allow group moderators to directly add me to their groups.
            Allow group moderators to invite me to their groups.

            By default, both boxes are checked. Uncheck both boxes.
            Click the Save Changes button.
            Repeat steps 2-3 for every email account listed.

            Thank you!
            Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group moderators]
          • doriscott20002000
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 28, 2006
              Concerning your second line I fully agree with you. But what make it
              much easier to see good in everybody is to see Guru's shining
              example; he just loves EVERYBODY. So what's wrong with us?

              Well, he also advises us not to shake hands with the tiger or
              tigress. I like the symbolism in Guru's teachings a lot.

              The nature of a scorpion is to sting. I have to become wiser.

              Another aspect that makes it easier to see good in others is that
              there is always some part in ourselves that is imperfect and so
              gives others the opportunity to think or to do "wrong." But once
              admitted it also gives others the chance to see and do good.