Record-Breaking Cake (was Re: Of temples, the heart and Celebrations)

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
      Hi Richard,
      thanks for this collage of memories posted on your personal website
      from Sri Chinmoy's 75th birthday! I was just pondering about the
      world-record breaking popcorn cake and wondering why I hadn't seen any
      photos or talk of it yet. Now thanks to you we hear of it here.

      Even though the rain delayed and made for a more muted unveiling
      ceremony, to witness this feat was a true highlight of my Celebrations
      visit this year. I didn't end up with any photos of it because I was
      intimidated by the rains and left my camera that day bunkered down at
      the room I stay in while in New York.

      Watching the tiered 24 foot high cake made entirely out of carmelized
      popcorn assemble was so interesting! It became a common sight to see
      fellows walking around in clothes spattered with telltale carmel syrup
      - they must have been on vat duty. Isn't it amazing that they decided
      to have the "glue" for the popcorn be an edible syrup mixture that had
      to cook for hours in large pots at high temperatures? And it took
      scaffolding and even a rented hoist/cherry picker to reach the upper
      portions of this giant cake as it was constructed.

      When the rain finally dwindled on the evening of Sri Chinmoy's
      birthday, we had a ceremony in front of the cake. Sri Chinmoy
      meditated and posed for photos with all the hard workers on the task.
      We sang Happy Birthday to Guru while there assembled and there were
      blinking string lights, little votive candles and ropes of roses
      adorning the final creation. As Richard mentioned, the cake was topped
      with a statue of the Hindu God Krishna at Sri Chinmoy's recommendation.

      Utpal (the intrepid videographer) shot footage which I imagine we will
      eventually see on Inspiration-News or some other part of Sri Chinmoy TV.

      I wish to offer congratulations and gratitude to Ashrita for this
      latest Guinness World record idea that shared joy and delight with so
      many during the festivities on Sri Chinmoy's birthday this August. We
      are all the richer for his continual inspiration and creativity on the
      next conquest and the next and the next...

      Sharani

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, richard13_oxford

      http://www.richardpettinger.com/sri_chinmoy/sri-chinmoy-75th-birthday-celebrations

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2006
        For another report on the popcorn cake record and more photos, visit
        Shardul's blog entry on the subject at:

        http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/shardul/blog/archive/2006/09/03/world-record-popcorn-cake