Re: I like doing the dishes

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
      I like doing dishes, too!

      In 1978, I used to help wash dishes in Annam Brahma,
      a restaurant run by Sri Chinmoy students in Queens, New York.

      At the time I was a full-time music student in Manhattan. Yet my
      greatest joy every week came on Saturday, when I would travel over 1
      hour to come to Queens and help wash dishes.

      These moments were so precious to me! Sometimes I would feel a wave of
      divine love washing over the restaurant while I was doing the
      dishes...this would give me such a thrill! It was incredibly
      inspiring.

      Later on I moved out of New York. A few years back, having come back
      to New York, I tried to do it again, but could not handle it, as I was
      already working 6 days a week somewhere else...nevertheless, I shall
      always treasure those days in Annam Brahma, and will always be
      grateful to those who gave me the opportunity to help washing dishes,

      Sometimes the simplest tasks can facilitate the highest experiences.

      Joy to all!

      Kamalakanta

      > Dear Beverly,
      > Were you in attendance the day during this August's Celebrations where
      > Guru was telling about his life at the consulate and the Sri Aurobindo
      > Ashram? His reminiscences happened as a result of a beautiful and
      > moving letter of birthday greetings received this month from his boss
      > during his time of employment at the New York City Indian Consulate.
      > Completely *unoffical* and from my sometimes feeble memory, the letter
      > included kind words such as: Your consciousness knows no frontiers.
      > Your compassion knows no bounds. Your horizons are as limitless and
      > vast as the firmament itself.
      >
      > After sharing this letter with us, Guru began talking about his youth
      > and early days in America. I mention it in reply to your post on
      > washing dishes because when Guru spoke about his various and numerous
      > jobs at the Aurobindo Ashram, he said his absolute favorite position
      > was as a dishwasher. He felt that this job allowed one to go beyond
      > the mind.
      >
      > Thanks for sharing this story Beverly.
      >
      > Sharani
      >
      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, beverly_canada
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > What struck you in your first meditation course? A glimpse of the
      > > Highest, Infinity, Truth, ...?
      > >
      > > As a new seeker attending a meditation course given by students of Sri
      > > Chinmoy I was struck by something else. Something unexpected. It
      > > lay in the attitude of the student of Sri Chinmoy who lead the
      > > meditations. A simple statement: "I like doing the dishes ..."
      > >
      > > I carried it with me and marveled at it. Why? It seemed to have no
      > > connection with the highest Goal and yet...
      > >
      > > A simple statement: "I like doing the dishes ..."
      > >
      > > From "Illumination-Fruits" by Sri Chinmoy:
      > > "God is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. Why? Just because He
      > > is all Humility."..."If someone washes the dishes, immediately
      > > ordinary people will say, "Oh, such a mean job, such insignificant
      > > work he is doing!" But I say, no. This is the greatest job if we are
      > > doing it soulfully. Lord Krishna washed the feet of the kings, of the
      > > emperors of the most important people..."
      > >
      > > A simple "I like doing the dishes ..."
      > >
      > > Again from "Illumination-Fruits":
      > > "When we meditate" ... "we should try to bathe first in the sea of
      > > humility. Otherwise, infinite Peace and Bliss we will not get.
      > > Spiritual Grace is like a torrent of rain. If we keep our inner door
      > > closed, we will get nothing. Let us open our inner door with the key
      > > of humility."
      > > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/illumination-fruits/8.html
      > >
      > > Simple "I like doing the dishes ..."
      > >
      > > "I like doing the dishes ..."