Of temples, the heart and Celebrations

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2006
      For me the Aspiration-Ground is an unceasing source of wonder and
      ever-revealing beauty. It offers a compelling landscape for our
      meditations, activities and fellowship through its lush abundance of
      flowers, trailing wisteria and various statuary.

      Nothing evokes my love for the temple more than hearing a performance
      of the Mandire song by the female musical group that specializes in
      Sri Chinmoy's bhajan songs.

      Mandire, mandire
      Mandire chalo shadhak shadhika
      Antara mandire
      Mandire, mandire
      Shethai heribo Paremshwari
      Amader jana nire
      Mandire, mandire

      Let us all seekers go within, to the temple of our heart.
      There, we shall discover Parameshwari, our Divine Mother.
      [unofficial translation of Bengali lyrics]

      How fitting that this song was sung at the Aspiration-Ground!
      I imagine the only temple more beautiful than
      the Aspiration-Ground is the inner one inside our hearts.

      After the performance of the Mandire song, I basked in a feeling of
      gratitude, sweetness, fellowship and harmony with the large gathering
      of students together to celebrate Sri Chinmoy's birthday. Its
      intensity multipled when Sri Chinmoy sang the song "Ami Jabo" shortly
      thereafter. Here is a shortcut link to the sheet music in
      Srichinmoysongs.com: http://tinyurl.com/patqy

      The English translation of Ami Jabo begins:
      "I shall enter, I shall enter, I shall enter
      Into my heart's citadel-city..."

      In every possible way that I can imagine, Sri Chinmoy's path fosters
      cultivation of the spiritual divine heart. As many of us in attendance
      at Celebrations have been arriving to share these gatherings for many
      years now, I wonder if we sometimes forget just how extraordinary the
      combination of ingredients to encourage this task truly is.

      Peace pervades the very air when meditating with Sri Chinmoy. Diverse
      nationalities (many not even fluent in English) harmoniously share the
      best of themselves, the trees rustle, the birds sing, the flowers
      provide a sumptous background - we in truth are beckoned to enter the
      inner beauty that Sri Chinmoy calls "the heart."

      Contemplating all of this and imbued with a perspective of awe, I wish
      the happiest of birthdays to both Sri Chinmoy and our beloved
      Aspiration-Ground.

      With loving gratitude,
      Sharani
    • richard13_oxford
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
        Some photos from Sri Chinmoy's 75th birthday:

        http://www.richardpettinger.com/sri_chinmoy/sri-chinmoy-75th-birthday-celebrations
        http://tinyurl.com.au/x.php?em

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
          Hi Richard,
          thanks for this collage of memories posted on your personal website
          from Sri Chinmoy's 75th birthday! I was just pondering about the
          world-record breaking popcorn cake and wondering why I hadn't seen any
          photos or talk of it yet. Now thanks to you we hear of it here.

          Even though the rain delayed and made for a more muted unveiling
          ceremony, to witness this feat was a true highlight of my Celebrations
          visit this year. I didn't end up with any photos of it because I was
          intimidated by the rains and left my camera that day bunkered down at
          the room I stay in while in New York.

          Watching the tiered 24 foot high cake made entirely out of carmelized
          popcorn assemble was so interesting! It became a common sight to see
          fellows walking around in clothes spattered with telltale carmel syrup
          - they must have been on vat duty. Isn't it amazing that they decided
          to have the "glue" for the popcorn be an edible syrup mixture that had
          to cook for hours in large pots at high temperatures? And it took
          scaffolding and even a rented hoist/cherry picker to reach the upper
          portions of this giant cake as it was constructed.

          When the rain finally dwindled on the evening of Sri Chinmoy's
          birthday, we had a ceremony in front of the cake. Sri Chinmoy
          meditated and posed for photos with all the hard workers on the task.
          We sang Happy Birthday to Guru while there assembled and there were
          blinking string lights, little votive candles and ropes of roses
          adorning the final creation. As Richard mentioned, the cake was topped
          with a statue of the Hindu God Krishna at Sri Chinmoy's recommendation.

          Utpal (the intrepid videographer) shot footage which I imagine we will
          eventually see on Inspiration-News or some other part of Sri Chinmoy TV.

          I wish to offer congratulations and gratitude to Ashrita for this
          latest Guinness World record idea that shared joy and delight with so
          many during the festivities on Sri Chinmoy's birthday this August. We
          are all the richer for his continual inspiration and creativity on the
          next conquest and the next and the next...

          Sharani

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, richard13_oxford

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 2006
            For another report on the popcorn cake record and more photos, visit
            Shardul's blog entry on the subject at:

            http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/shardul/blog/archive/2006/09/03/world-record-popcorn-cake