I like doing the dishes

  • beverly_canada
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2006
      What struck you in your first meditation course? A glimpse of the
      Highest, Infinity, Truth, ...?

      As a new seeker attending a meditation course given by students of Sri
      Chinmoy I was struck by something else. Something unexpected. It
      lay in the attitude of the student of Sri Chinmoy who lead the
      meditations. A simple statement: "I like doing the dishes ..."

      I carried it with me and marveled at it. Why? It seemed to have no
      connection with the highest Goal and yet...

      A simple statement: "I like doing the dishes ..."

      From "Illumination-Fruits" by Sri Chinmoy:
      "God is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. Why? Just because He
      is all Humility."..."If someone washes the dishes, immediately
      ordinary people will say, "Oh, such a mean job, such insignificant
      work he is doing!" But I say, no. This is the greatest job if we are
      doing it soulfully. Lord Krishna washed the feet of the kings, of the
      emperors of the most important people..."

      A simple "I like doing the dishes ..."

      Again from "Illumination-Fruits":
      "When we meditate" ... "we should try to bathe first in the sea of
      humility. Otherwise, infinite Peace and Bliss we will not get.
      Spiritual Grace is like a torrent of rain. If we keep our inner door
      closed, we will get nothing. Let us open our inner door with the key
      of humility."
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/illumination-fruits/8.html

      Simple "I like doing the dishes ..."

      "I like doing the dishes ..."

      Beverly
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
        Dear Beverly,
        Were you in attendance the day during this August's Celebrations where
        Guru was telling about his life at the consulate and the Sri Aurobindo
        Ashram? His reminiscences happened as a result of a beautiful and
        moving letter of birthday greetings received this month from his boss
        during his time of employment at the New York City Indian Consulate.
        Completely *unoffical* and from my sometimes feeble memory, the letter
        included kind words such as: Your consciousness knows no frontiers.
        Your compassion knows no bounds. Your horizons are as limitless and
        vast as the firmament itself.

        After sharing this letter with us, Guru began talking about his youth
        and early days in America. I mention it in reply to your post on
        washing dishes because when Guru spoke about his various and numerous
        jobs at the Aurobindo Ashram, he said his absolute favorite position
        was as a dishwasher. He felt that this job allowed one to go beyond
        the mind.

        Thanks for sharing this story Beverly.

        Sharani

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, beverly_canada

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
          I like doing dishes, too!

          In 1978, I used to help wash dishes in Annam Brahma,
          a restaurant run by Sri Chinmoy students in Queens, New York.

          At the time I was a full-time music student in Manhattan. Yet my
          greatest joy every week came on Saturday, when I would travel over 1
          hour to come to Queens and help wash dishes.

          These moments were so precious to me! Sometimes I would feel a wave of
          divine love washing over the restaurant while I was doing the
          dishes...this would give me such a thrill! It was incredibly
          inspiring.

          Later on I moved out of New York. A few years back, having come back
          to New York, I tried to do it again, but could not handle it, as I was
          already working 6 days a week somewhere else...nevertheless, I shall
          always treasure those days in Annam Brahma, and will always be
          grateful to those who gave me the opportunity to help washing dishes,

          Sometimes the simplest tasks can facilitate the highest experiences.

          Joy to all!

          Kamalakanta

          > Dear Beverly,
          > Were you in attendance the day during this August's Celebrations where
          > Guru was telling about his life at the consulate and the Sri Aurobindo
          > Ashram? His reminiscences happened as a result of a beautiful and
          > moving letter of birthday greetings received this month from his boss
          > during his time of employment at the New York City Indian Consulate.
          > Completely *unoffical* and from my sometimes feeble memory, the letter
          > included kind words such as: Your consciousness knows no frontiers.
          > Your compassion knows no bounds. Your horizons are as limitless and
          > vast as the firmament itself.
          >
          > After sharing this letter with us, Guru began talking about his youth
          > and early days in America. I mention it in reply to your post on
          > washing dishes because when Guru spoke about his various and numerous
          > jobs at the Aurobindo Ashram, he said his absolute favorite position
          > was as a dishwasher. He felt that this job allowed one to go beyond
          > the mind.
          >
          > Thanks for sharing this story Beverly.
          >
          > Sharani
          >
          > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, beverly_canada
          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > What struck you in your first meditation course? A glimpse of the
          > > Highest, Infinity, Truth, ...?
          > >
          > > As a new seeker attending a meditation course given by students of Sri
          > > Chinmoy I was struck by something else. Something unexpected. It
          > > lay in the attitude of the student of Sri Chinmoy who lead the
          > > meditations. A simple statement: "I like doing the dishes ..."
          > >
          > > I carried it with me and marveled at it. Why? It seemed to have no
          > > connection with the highest Goal and yet...
          > >
          > > A simple statement: "I like doing the dishes ..."
          > >
          > > From "Illumination-Fruits" by Sri Chinmoy:
          > > "God is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. Why? Just because He
          > > is all Humility."..."If someone washes the dishes, immediately
          > > ordinary people will say, "Oh, such a mean job, such insignificant
          > > work he is doing!" But I say, no. This is the greatest job if we are
          > > doing it soulfully. Lord Krishna washed the feet of the kings, of the
          > > emperors of the most important people..."
          > >
          > > A simple "I like doing the dishes ..."
          > >
          > > Again from "Illumination-Fruits":
          > > "When we meditate" ... "we should try to bathe first in the sea of
          > > humility. Otherwise, infinite Peace and Bliss we will not get.
          > > Spiritual Grace is like a torrent of rain. If we keep our inner door
          > > closed, we will get nothing. Let us open our inner door with the key
          > > of humility."
          > > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/illumination-fruits/8.html
          > >
          > > Simple "I like doing the dishes ..."
          > >
          > > "I like doing the dishes ..."