John-Paul's Japan Photos

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2006
      Hi Everybody,
      Even though the usual "suspects" are in New York and thereby not
      working on their albums (or as in my case are busy burning discs to
      share with visitors from afar), we still have activity in the Sri
      Chinmoy Centre galleries. John-Paul has just added a new album from
      the trip to Japan with Sri Chinmoy and I enjoyed revisiting many now
      familiar sights. He has albums of Kamakura, Ofuna, Hiroshima, Mt. Fuji
      and the Daibutsu.

      Only a handful of our group stayed in a hotel in Ofuna - far from
      Guru's hotel but well worth the opportunity to be near the Kannon
      Goddess statue. John-Paul was one of these and his Ofuna album shows
      street scenes and the monorail which I hear brings one to a local Sri
      Chinmoy centre only one stop away from Ofuna.

      Mrinali had asked about the Kannon goddess a while back and subsequent
      to my reply I found a much better website on this enigmatic Goddess
      who is also considered to be a male deity. The website I like about
      Kannon is the creation of a professional website designer named Mark
      Schumacher and includes an A-to-Z photo dictionary of Japanese
      Buddhist statues. It includes photos of the 11-headed Kannon at the
      HaseKannon temple which didn't allow picture taking in front of the
      statue and gives an excellent introduction to this somewhat unusual
      goddess.

      The link is:
      http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/kannon.shtml

      I stray off on a tangent here. Coming back to topic, I wish to thank
      John-Paul for sharing his Japan photos with us (especially the one
      that has me in the crowd scene - tee hee ;-)

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3 5:16 PM
        With a special nod and hello to Mrinali who is perhaps now recovering
        from jet lag quite successfully in the land us northerly types
        affectionately call "down under", I'm replying to this message about
        John's photos and good website on Kannon that came out while she was
        visiting in New York in case she wants to visit the link about the
        Japanese Buddhist Deity Kannon in the Japan photo post below.

        And my addition to that message with this reply to myself is my recent
        surprising discovery that perhaps could be added to the category
        trivia and little known facts about the gods :-)

        You see I just discovered that the Canon camera company's name derives
        from the goddess Kannon. The first camera made by them was called
        Kwanon because the founder was a devout Japanese Buddhist who favored
        this deity. I first read about it at a site called Reference.com. The
        link is at:
        http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Kuan_Yin

        which then links to the Canon Camera company history which states,

        "In 1934, Yoshida succeeded in producing a prototype of the first
        domestically made 35mm focal-plane shutter camera. A believer of the
        Buddhist faith, he named it "Kwanon" after the Goddess of Mercy, and
        placed an advertisement for "Kwanon Cameras" in the June 1934 issue of
        Asahi Camera magazine."
        http://www.canon.com/about/history/main01.html

        Eventually the camera company's name was changed to Canon but its
        roots are directly tied to the goddess Kannon.

        Have you ever heard this tidbit of trivia before? I thouht it was
        pretty fascinating.

        > Hi Everybody,
        > Even though the usual "suspects" are in New York and thereby not
        > working on their albums (or as in my case are busy burning discs to
        > share with visitors from afar), we still have activity in the Sri
        > Chinmoy Centre galleries. John-Paul has just added a new album from
        > the trip to Japan with Sri Chinmoy and I enjoyed revisiting many now
        > familiar sights. He has albums of Kamakura, Ofuna, Hiroshima, Mt. Fuji
        > and the Daibutsu.
        >
        > Only a handful of our group stayed in a hotel in Ofuna - far from
        > Guru's hotel but well worth the opportunity to be near the Kannon
        > Goddess statue. John-Paul was one of these and his Ofuna album shows
        > street scenes and the monorail which I hear brings one to a local Sri
        > Chinmoy centre only one stop away from Ofuna.
        >
        > Mrinali had asked about the Kannon goddess a while back and subsequent
        > to my reply I found a much better website on this enigmatic Goddess
        > who is also considered to be a male deity. The website I like about
        > Kannon is the creation of a professional website designer named Mark
        > Schumacher and includes an A-to-Z photo dictionary of Japanese
        > Buddhist statues. It includes photos of the 11-headed Kannon at the
        > HaseKannon temple which didn't allow picture taking in front of the
        > statue and gives an excellent introduction to this somewhat unusual
        > goddess.
        >
        > The link is:
        > http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/kannon.shtml
        >
        > I stray off on a tangent here. Coming back to topic, I wish to thank
        > John-Paul for sharing his Japan photos with us (especially the one
        > that has me in the crowd scene - tee hee ;-)
        >
        > Sharani

      • kamalika_gyorgyjakab
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8 2:08 AM
          Hi All, Dear Sharani,

          I am not the least surprised you discovered this information (you
          seem to be an untarnishable source of extraterrestrially interesting
          facts, f.ex. cloud appreciation society a.s.o.). And above all, I am
          not surprised you made that little pilgrimage to the HaseKannon
          Temple and to "our" Ofuna Kannon goddess, perhaps instinctively
          knowing that she likes you. This could be a justifiable explanation
          to why your photos are sooo good. Obviously, while we others take
          long time to learn things such as exposure time, focal length and
          shuttle speed, you enjoy the blessings of the Camera-Goddess!
          Looking forward to our next trip to anywhere, provided you'll have a
          camera on you.
          Love, Kamalika

          (PS: I am going to check now John-Paul's pictures too, he seems to be
          talented as well.)

          > ( ... ) my recent surprising discovery that perhaps could be added
          to the category trivia and little known facts about the gods :-)
          You see I just discovered that the Canon camera company's name
          derives from the goddess Kannon. The first camera made by them was
          called Kwanon because the founder was a devout Japanese Buddhist who
          favored this deity. >
          > "In 1934, Yoshida succeeded in producing a prototype of the first
          > domestically made 35mm focal-plane shutter camera. A believer of the
          > Buddhist faith, he named it "Kwanon" after the Goddess of Mercy, and
          > placed an advertisement for "Kwanon Cameras" in the June 1934 issue
          of
          > Asahi Camera magazine."
          > http://www.canon.com/about/history/main01.html
          >
          > Eventually the camera company's name was changed to Canon but its
          > roots are directly tied to the goddess Kannon.
          >
          > Have you ever heard this tidbit of trivia before? I thouht it was
          > pretty fascinating.
          >
          > Sharani

          John-Paul has just added a new album from
          > > the trip to Japan with Sri Chinmoy and I enjoyed revisiting many
          now
          > > familiar sights. He has albums of Kamakura, Ofuna, Hiroshima, Mt.
          Fuji
          > > and the Daibutsu.
          > >
          > > Only a handful of our group stayed in a hotel in Ofuna - far from
          > > Guru's hotel but well worth the opportunity to be near the Kannon
          > > Goddess statue. John-Paul was one of these and his Ofuna album
          shows
          > > street scenes and the monorail which I hear brings one to a local
          Sri
          > > Chinmoy centre only one stop away from Ofuna.

          (rest eloped by Kamalika)
        • mrinalicc
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11 8:09 PM
            Hi Sharani & co
            thanks for the Kannon sites, which I have been enjoying - yes I had
            barely recovered from jetlag before being inundated with two weeks
            backlog at work / and a bit of a backlog with family issues as
            well.

            Mrinali