Cross Pollination - seeds found in blogs travel to news groups

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2006
      True to form with the links of the "web", it seems only appropriate to
      draw attention to each other's interesting offerings. Today I'm
      inspired to point from here towards Priyadarshan's new blog which is
      located on his homepage in the members section of
      SriChinmoycentre.org. Now Richard has already kindly linked to his at
      the bottom of some of his messages here on the Inspiration Group with
      a url shortcut:
      ( http://tinyurl.com/oqe5r - Richard's blog)
      but Priyadarshan wins my spotlight attention because an article on
      blogging that he recommends reading has percolated around in my brain
      since I read it a couple of days ago.
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/priyadarshan/blog/archive/2006/08/14/restructuredtext_vs_html

      In this interesting blog entry by Priyadarshan pertinent to anyone
      designing Web pages, etc, the article that impacted me greatly is the
      link by Priyadarshan that says "Read this: You should write Blogs"

      The article on blogging is written by a computer programmer named
      Steve Yegge who used to work at Amazon and who in my opinion (based on
      this article recommended by Priyadarshan) has an all-around
      interesting and informative perspective on a lot more than just the
      latest computer language.

      Yegge's article advocates blogging as a valuable contribution to
      others and two aspects of the article have kept me intrigued since I
      read it. I was struck by Yegge's example of a blog entry by an Amazon
      employee which went unnoticed for the most part when it was first
      written but because the ideas in how to run the company better were so
      well-stated, it eventually became a standard item that employees
      referred to and it ultimately influenced policy in a marked manner. It
      actually took about a year for this to happen from the time the blog
      entry was first posted. Its presence for the general public and the
      internal organization had more eventual impact than if it had been an
      email or just a topic of discussion at a staff meeting. The blog
      provided the forum for the ideas to slowly permeate just as now so
      much later I'm even feeling influenced by digesting the contents of
      Yegge's blog entry on blogging from a couple of years ago.

      The second fascinating aspect of this article relates to pride and
      humility. Yegge writes about the wisdom in the attitude of not feeling
      concerned about whether or not you receive feedback showing that
      anyone reads your blog and counteracts the notion that blog writing is
      narcissistic.

      He then talks about how the greater an individual becomes as a leader
      and visionary thinker the more humble they usually are as well. Since
      I recently spent a lot of time thinking about pride and humility for
      an article in the latest issue of "Inspiration Letters," this aspect
      of the article had my rapt attention.
      (The latest issue is located at:
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/inspiration-letters/5/ )

      Since I sometimes struggle with the worry that perhaps no one is even
      reading all this stuff I lovingly crank out, :-) I felt the article
      had a lot to teach me as I try to mature into what Guru calls "a
      better citizen of the world."

      So even if like me you have never heard of reStructuredText or have
      never learned much about html, Priyadarshan's blog entry on that
      subject leads in a lot of interesting directions.

      And that qualifies as cross pollination don't you think? Don't forget
      I love to put a naturalist spin on things if it's not too far a stretch.

      Sharani :-)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
        Put on your waders and your fishing boots and let's wander through the
        bogs - I mean blogs :-)
        You can catch some good fish - I mean stories - on Japanese martial
        arts, the connection between squirrels and God, radio theater, a good
        felafal shop on Union Turnpike and much more.

        This link shows you a list of the latest entries from other bloggers
        besides Priyadarshan like Sumangali, John-Paul, Shardul, Shane,
        Jwalanta and yours truly - myself.
        http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/blogs

        For an entry on a cicada that I photographed two days ago visit:
        http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/sharani/blog/archive/2006/09/01/cicada

        Happy blogging!