3100 Miles: A runner's point of view.

  • tsvetan_tsekov
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 7 5:16 AM
      Hi,

      I would like to share a few impressions from this years 3100 Mile
      Race.

      Every race is a totally different experience and this one made
      no exception. The beginning of the race is always difficult because
      the body is put under extreme conditions. As you know
      the 3100 mile race happens in a half mile loop. You have to run 18
      hours a day around the block.

      We the runners have to do this day after day, week after week 6a.m. to
      12p.m. which is such an incredible experience by itself.

      During the first three weeks I was trying to be extra careful and
      focused because it is so easy to get injured when the body is not yet
      well adapted to the hard concrete and the hot weather.

      On day 4 I was really weak and at night I got quite cold. I
      got better during the next few days. I was glad that I was able to run
      for some four, five or six days very well and than have a little lower
      recharge day. Every runner would say that I am not a morning person,
      walking very slowly the first laps and even after that I wouldn't have
      a great speed and number of laps for the whole morning. Some mornings
      I was quite tired and I had to walk for hours and run only down hills.

      When we run in counter clockwise direction there is three very nice
      down hills so you just have to slide down very nicely. This style
      saves a whole minute every lap compared to walking. Of course if you
      walk very fast you can still take a lap for 9 minutes. I did that
      quite a few times for a few hours or even a whole day inspired by
      Smarana.

      Two times I had a very funny experience with Smarana and his
      fast walking. Smarana would very often walk in the evenings so once I
      was running a good pace ( 7 laps an hour ) and couldn't believe that
      he was following me for quite a few laps and he was only walking! He
      says that he is a much better walker than a runner but I don't agree
      with it.

      So many times I was amazed at the end of the
      day with the number of laps I did, remembering how tired I was at the
      start of the new day and how low my morning was. There definitely is
      a divine force which just wouldn't let me finish the day with a
      lesser number of laps. So I was able to keep under control the
      balance between good days and a little lower days until the end of the
      race.

      Me and all other runners had many hard days but among the hardest days
      were three extremely hot days with 90-97 F. I remember
      after these three days when I got home in the evening I was almost
      crying with gratitude and on the next day I was so
      deeply grateful that it was over and we finally had a cooler and
      cloudy day!

      I am glad to say that I had no serious injuries or problems during the
      whole race excluding the last 10 days when I got some problems and
      sharp pain under the front bones of my feet. It all started after a
      few raining days. This year we got quite a lot of rain and most of the
      time it was just like a tropical downpour continuing for half or one
      whole hour.

      One day we had five or six of these downpours! One morning
      it just started pouring rain like anything and blowing a real strong
      wind. The camp was simply destroyed! The funniest of all was that
      after the rain the sky cleared completely and the sun was shining and
      burning stronger than ever. You would never say that only 15 min. ago
      there was pouring water from the sky.

      But no matter what this years 3100 mile race started for me with a lot
      of joy I was much happier than before especially during the first two
      weeks and I was so much happier at the finish.

      It doesn't matter if you have completed the race before it always
      feels so unbelievable at the end. It's like you can't believe that
      that you have finished one more time.

      Right after mine and Rainald's finish Sri Chinmoy offered us
      our spiritual names: Diganta and Sopan.

      We the runners say that this race is a mind breaker. The mind can
      never believe or imagine so many days of running in circles from 6a.m.
      to 12p.m. with 5 or less hours of sleep.

      This year the race had so many great performances. First of all
      Madhupran breaking his own record with more than a day and averaging
      75 miles, Asprihanal having average of 71 miles and becoming the only
      person to ever run over 70 miles for 23 straight days. The top ten
      runners run personal best times. 10 runners completed the race under
      52 days and 9 runners completed for under 51 days.

      Sri Chinmoy came so many times to inspire us, very often four or even
      five times a day. He would so many times ask us about anything showing
      his concern for us not only inwardly but also outwardly. He would
      write prayers for us every day or bring gifts for us from Japan where
      he went to visit during the race.

      We all are so deeply grateful to him for encouraging us.

      Sopan
    • sare_bear2713
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 7 7:45 PM
        CONGRATULATIONS just does not seem an adequate word for you and all
        the other runners. Being a running enthusiest, every single day over
        the past few months I have been thinking about you all out on the
        course. I pray that one day I can have an iota of this God-given
        will-power and endurance capacity that you all have. I remember
        reading an article that Arpan once wrote around the race, where he
        felt that the movement around the block, was kind of similar to the
        planets in orbit...!

        A few of Sri Chinmoy's aphorisms:
        [unofficial quotes]

        I do not know how to run alone.
        Therefore my friend, faith,
        Accompanies me.

        Each time my happiness-heart smiles,
        My life enjoys expanding miles.

        Self-transcendence gives us
        The message of happiness.

        Sarah
        Australia

      • richard13_oxford
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 8 6:57 AM
          Dear Sopan,

          Thanks for writing so well about your heroic 3100 mile experiences.

          regards,

          Richard

          http://tinyurl.com/oqe5r -my blog

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, tsvetan_tsekov

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 8 7:34 AM
            Dear Sopan,
            Thank you so sincerely for sharing your race experiences with us here
            on the Inspiration Group. The race has been a topic of discussion here
            and we watched Utpal's videos residing on the Web from the race as
            well. Deepest congratulations on completing the race yet again and on
            the auspicious occasion of receiving your spiritual name. What is the
            meaning of it related to?

            Sharani

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > never believe or imagine so many days of running in circles from 6a.m.
            > to 12p.m. with 5 or less hours of sleep.
            >
            > This year the race had so many great performances. First of all
            > Madhupran breaking his own record with more than a day and averaging
            > 75 miles, Asprihanal having average of 71 miles and becoming the only
            > person to ever run over 70 miles for 23 straight days. The top ten
            > runners run personal best times. 10 runners completed the race under
            > 52 days and 9 runners completed for under 51 days.
            >
            > Sri Chinmoy came so many times to inspire us, very often four or even
            > five times a day. He would so many times ask us about anything showing
            > his concern for us not only inwardly but also outwardly. He would
            > write prayers for us every day or bring gifts for us from Japan where
            > he went to visit during the race.
            >
            > We all are so deeply grateful to him for encouraging us.

          • sopan_31
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 8 12:34 PM
              We (me and Diganta) don't know yet the meanings but Sri Chinmoy said
              that we will recieve them soon.

              Sopan

> [...]
              > > Madhupran breaking his own record with more than a day and
              averaging
              > > 75 miles, Asprihanal having average of 71 miles and becoming the
              only
              > > person to ever run over 70 miles for 23 straight days. The top ten
              > > runners run personal best times. 10 runners completed the race
              under
              > > 52 days and 9 runners completed for under 51 days.
              > >
              > > Sri Chinmoy came so many times to inspire us, very often four or
              even
              > > five times a day. He would so many times ask us about anything
              showing
              > > his concern for us not only inwardly but also outwardly. He would
              > > write prayers for us every day or bring gifts for us from Japan
              where
              > > he went to visit during the race.
              > >
              > > We all are so deeply grateful to him for encouraging us.

            • smarana31
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 8 1:02 PM
                Hi Sopan,
                it was nice to read your article about the race.
                For me it was simply amazing to see that in the morning you had been
                a dead man walking and in the evening you started to get alive,
                running with wind speed and seemingly charged by a divine force.

                Quite a few times I realized, that Asprihanal was going from normal
                speed to "Warp 7"(Superlightspeed), after he had gotten Prasad from
                Sri Chinmoy; within seconds his whole bodystructure changed and he
                was taking off.

                I do not recall it happened to me when I was running, but it happened
                quite a few times, when I was walking. So, I still say that I am a
                better walker than I am a runner.

                I hope you and Diganta will know the meaning of your names soon, since
                quite a few people here are really curious about it.

                Enjoy celebrations time and the Marathon
                your running brother
                Smarana

                <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > Madhupran breaking his own record with more than a day and averaging
                > 75 miles, Asprihanal having average of 71 miles and becoming the
                only
                > person to ever run over 70 miles for 23 straight days. The top ten
                > runners run personal best times. 10 runners completed the race under
                > 52 days and 9 runners completed for under 51 days.
                >
                > Sri Chinmoy came so many times to inspire us, very often four or
                even
                > five times a day. He would so many times ask us about anything
                showing
                > his concern for us not only inwardly but also outwardly. He would
                > write prayers for us every day or bring gifts for us from Japan
                where
                > he went to visit during the race.
                >
                > We all are so deeply grateful to him for encouraging us.

              • sopan_31
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 10 6:24 AM
                  I want to thank the moderator of this site for making my article look
                  so well written.

                  But I want to add a few things which I mention in the original article
                  and they do not appear on the "official" corrected one.

                  I say that out there on the 3100 course we go through many hard
                  experiences. Very often we are trying to just survive and go through
                  the day. I am sure that it's not only me but every runner really goes
                  to the limits of his/her abilities.

                  I personally had quite a few times the experience of being on the edge,
                  really pushing the limits, getting the ultimate experience of pushing
                  and tiredness. That's how it is and that's the reason why it may be sometimes
                  difficult to smile when people come to visit the race and ask us to "smile, smile".

                  It is in this way that this race is so transforming, it makes you go
                  beyond your abilities or, in other words, it let the divine in you work
                  on the phisycal and the mind.

                  Sopan

                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > Madhupran breaking his own record with more than a day and averaging
                  > 75 miles, Asprihanal having average of 71 miles and becoming the
                  only
                  > person to ever run over 70 miles for 23 straight days. The top ten
                  > runners run personal best times. 10 runners completed the race under
                  > 52 days and 9 runners completed for under 51 days.
                  >
                  > Sri Chinmoy came so many times to inspire us, very often four or
                  even
                  > five times a day. He would so many times ask us about anything
                  showing
                  > his concern for us not only inwardly but also outwardly. He would
                  > write prayers for us every day or bring gifts for us from Japan
                  where
                  > he went to visit during the race.
                  >
                  > We all are so deeply grateful to him for encouraging us.

                • olga_nevergiveup
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 11 4:20 AM
                    Dear Sopan, thank you so much for your message.

                    I admire willpower, faith and determination of all runners of this
                    miracle race... What you are doing is amazing!

                    What do you feel, why in spite of the fact that all runners of this
                    race have
                    astonishing inner strength, all are great athletes and have good
                    physical strength, and however some runners can run much more miles
                    a day than others? Is it because of different inner capacities or
                    this is just different physical conditions?

                    Admiring all divine heroes of this race,
                    Olga

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sopan_31
                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    averaging
                    > > 75 miles, Asprihanal having average of 71 miles and becoming the
                    > only
                    > > person to ever run over 70 miles for 23 straight days. The top
                    ten
                    > > runners run personal best times. 10 runners completed the race
                    under
                    > > 52 days and 9 runners completed for under 51 days.
                    > >
                    > > Sri Chinmoy came so many times to inspire us, very often four or
                    > even
                    > > five times a day. He would so many times ask us about anything
                    > showing
                    > > his concern for us not only inwardly but also outwardly. He would
                    > > write prayers for us every day or bring gifts for us from Japan
                    > where
                    > > he went to visit during the race.
                    > >
                    > > We all are so deeply grateful to him for encouraging us.

                  • sopan_31
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30 3:45 PM
                      Hi Olga,
                      i am sorry for the late answer, this is the first time i look at the
                      inspiration site since beginning of celebrations.

                      I am really not sure what is the reason that some runners run better
                      than other runners.

                      Definitely some runners have more capacity than others.
                      Maybe some runners have more light in the phisycal than others.
                      For example I know that I can't run more than Asprihanal my phisical
                      body simply can't take the pressure of the same speed and same high
                      milage.

                      I think that the main goal is not to do better than somebody else but
                      what matters is how much spiritual progress you make and if you give
                      100% of yourself.

                      It is also maybe important in what comditions we have grown up, some
                      people are just naturally stronger than others. For example Srdjan
                      never stops running, normally we would walk the uphill parts of the
                      course but Srdjan never does that he just keeps running.

                      It also depends how open and receptive we are for the inner light. It
                      is so easy sometimes to maintain a good running speed just because at
                      that moment we are more receptive for this inner force.
                      Sometimes the mind creates obstacles we call them "inspiration
                      problems" but sometimes the mind is absolutely calm and focused on the
                      inside and than we loose feeling of time and run so much better.

                      I hope this is a good answer...
                      Sopan

                      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, olga_nevergiveup

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 31 6:33 AM
                        Dear Sopan,
                        I'm back to ask again about the meaning of your name. Now that
                        Celebrations is over and we settle back into our various routines we
                        would love to hear it since you shared your receipt of the name here
                        not too long ago.

                        I am interested in Olga's question as well. I was athletically
                        inclined as a youth only in the field of dance/ballet. I usually came
                        in last in the testing of children in school for running, etc. Even
                        though I loved the game and children played it frequently in the
                        neighborhood, I was never good at softball/baseball either. My dad
                        used to patiently spend lots of time with me trying to help me hit the
                        ball and catch the ball but it seemed that athletic excellence wasn't
                        my forte - except as I said above that I was pretty good at ballet. I
                        even have memories of how long it took me to learn how to do a
                        somersault as a child - a very, very long time.

                        As a participant in Sri Chinmoy races and marathons, a ten minute mile
                        was probably my best PR and it typically took me 7-8 hours to complete
                        a marathon. Granted, I never would have attempted a marathon and
                        completed them about 8 times if I didn't have the example and inner
                        encouragement of our path.

                        About five years ago, I actually trained for the marathon and leading
                        up to it had about 10 months worth of running every day without
                        missing a single day. On airport layovers while travelling, I would
                        even take a jog through the concourse so as to not miss a single day
                        of running. Leading up to that year's New York Marathon, I did long
                        training runs on the weekends and was about 40 pounds lighter than I
                        am now and was pretty physically fit.

                        So did I have a good marathon time? Well it took me 6 1/2 hours which
                        was the same as my previous PR for a marathon time. During that race,
                        I ran all or most of every mile. I guess because I never run very fast
                        that the time of 6 1/2 hours reflects an average of 15 minute miles
                        and has to include bathroom and water breaks. To maintain that pace
                        for over 6 hours on some level seems a miracle to me. How people run 3
                        or 4 hour marathon times I cannot even fathom. Maybe when you're that
                        fast you don't even drink water or go to the bathroom because the race
                        is over so quickly in the first place?

                        After that year's experience, I decided that it must not be my destiny
                        to be much of a runner. I figured that God had other plans for me than
                        being a good athlete if serious marathon training resulted in a time
                        still this slow.

                        I am interested to know what others feel about my assumptions. Sports
                        are an important part of Sri Chinmoy's philosophy for living a
                        well-rounded life and I'm guessing someone out there will step up to
                        the plate to tweak my attitude. Well - at least I'm honest. :-)

                        Sharani

                        <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > >
                        > > > I say that out there on the 3100 course we go through many hard
                        > > > experiences. Very often we are trying to just survive and go
                        > > through
                        > > > the day. I am sure that it's not only me but every runner really
                        > > goes
                        > > > to the limits of his/her abilities.
                        > > >
                        > > > I personally had quite a few times the experience of being on the
                        > > edge,
                        > > > really pushing the limits, getting the ultimate experience of
                        > > pushing
                        > > > and tiredness. That's how it is and that's the reason why it may
                        > > be sometimes
                        > > > difficult to smile when people come to visit the race and ask us
                        > > to "smile, smile".
                        > > >
                        > > > It is in this way that this race is so transforming, it makes you
                        > > go
                        > > > beyond your abilities or, in other words, it let the divine in you

                      • olga_nevergiveup
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
                          Dear Sharani,

                          I admire your determination in such a hard preparation for that
                          marathon. I know that running every day sometimes is not easy at
                          all... Last year I ran 42 days without missing a single day, in
                          spite it was winter and sometimes temperature was minus 30-35 C.

                          That is wonderful that you have a so strong willpower!
                          Not everybody have good athletic capacities from birth. But when a
                          person being not inclined to sports, runs a marathon, this is really
                          VERY inspiring!
                          I remember two people whose body did not look really athletic,
                          participated in 6 day road race this year. One of them was a man
                          from States. It's not easy just to walk with such a great weight and
                          he did not stop walking for all 6 days, only taking night break.
                          Every time I passed any of these two people I get new inspiration.
                          This man was not a student of Sri Chinmoy. One day I asked him what
                          pushed him to come to this race, he answered that he just had a
                          vacation and did not know what to do, so he decided to try this
                          race... Amazing :-)))

                          If you would like to improve your time in marathon, then you just
                          need some special training. I mean that to better your time you need
                          to develop speed. So, long and slow jogging may not help to improve
                          time in marathon. What you need is to practice speeding-up for
                          short distances like 100 meters as well as longer – 2 -3 miles.
                          With your will-power and determination you definitely will improve
                          your time!

                          But for sure God has his own plans for everybody of us. If I never
                          could write such beautiful poems like you do, or to take so
                          wonderful pictures like you do, then perhaps I will not become a
                          great photographer and my best result in this field can be not so
                          great like yours. However, this is not a reason not to try and I
                          like taking pictures and sometimes try to write poems, to draw a
                          little bit :-) I think that is great when we try to improve some
                          new skills, but even if we do not achieve great results compared
                          with others – it does not matter… In such way we transcend ourselves.
                          So, I think it would be great if you continued your training and
                          next year who knows... Maybe you will beat your previous PR!

                          It is my pleasure to share my experience in training for marathon
                          with you, if it can be in any help... for last year I improved my
                          marathon time from 4 h 41 min to 3 h 23 min.

                          Thank you for all your inspiring posts!

                          Olga

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                            Dear Olga,
                            I am sincerely touched by your thoughtful reply to my confessional
                            message about running and marathons. Especially since you have so
                            quickly proven yourself as someone making rapid strides as a runner.

                            I have to agree with your perceptive advice. While I ran regularly and
                            was quite active that year leading up to the marathon with weight
                            training and aerobics, I never specifically worked on improving my
                            running speed. In my mind, it was miracle enough that I was faithfully
                            running every day for so many days in succession. And as I mentioned
                            in that earlier message, if the time it took me to run a mile is on
                            the slow side then by the time you multiply that by 26.5 - well it's
                            only to be expected that my finishing time would also be slow.

                            Like you point out, just to even complete a marathon when one is not
                            inclined or gifted in sports is a miracle in itself. This wise
                            perspective reminds me of a very sweet memory in my marathon
                            experiences from when I was a relatively new student of Sri Chinmoy.

                            In those days in the late 1980's, it was customary to run the New York
                            Marathon held traditionally on the first Sunday in November. My first
                            ever attempt at that (any) marathon resulted in completion of about 17
                            miles. The next year I was hoping to actually finish. Things seemed to
                            be progressing well enough in that race when I suddenly felt ill on
                            the Pulaski Bridge which is at about mile 13. As I stood on the middle
                            of the bridge, I knew I had absolutely no choice but to drop out
                            because of the dizziness and nauseousness I was feeling. I climbed
                            onto one of the buses for people dropping out and then took the subway
                            back to Queens. I was pretty sad about completing even less than the
                            previous year. Once I got home, I soaked my sore muscles in the tub
                            and tried to console myself by saying "well at least you did a
                            half-marathon."

                            That night we had a function after the race at our old Progress
                            Promise meeting hall. People were announcing their times, etc. and at
                            one point Sri Chinmoy asked who ran but did not complete the race. I
                            was one of several hands that raised into the air from the audience
                            and on my turn announced that I had run 13 miles. Guru answered me
                            with an encouraging tone in his voice, "Oh, a half marathon!"

                            Needless to say, I was thrilled by his echo of my own consoling words
                            to myself from earlier that day. How many countless expressions of his
                            compassion such as this we could all easily tell!

                            Also, you can be sure that by the time I finally completed the New
                            York Marathon for the first time ever the following year (by then my
                            third try), I wept tears of joy after I crossed the finish line.

                            So given my history, a personal best of 6.5 hours has its own merit. I
                            should remember that more often now that some of my recent ailments
                            have seen much improvement through physical therapy and chiropractic
                            treatments.

                            I can always derive inspiration from our ultra-running heroes as well
                            as they demonstrate just how limitless human potential can be. I have
                            greatly appreciated their posts here as well as the videos of the
                            races and the information at the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team website:
                            http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/

                            Sharani

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 7, 2006
                              I just discovered an excellent collection of Sri Chinmoy's writings
                              excerpted on the theme of physical fitness and running. It is located
                              on the New Zealand Sri Chinmoy Centre website. I was poking around
                              there for an altogether different reason. When I started reading this
                              selection of Sri Chinmoy's writings they call "Body-Mind-Spirit," I
                              felt as if I was receiving another answer to my recent comments here
                              about running and marathons.

                              I invite you to check it out if time permits at:
                              http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/nz/sri_chinmoy/body_mind_spirit

                              Some of the selections I had definitely never read before and it
                              certainly provided lots of food for thought. If it reaps a harvest,
                              I'll be sure to let you know...