God has an eye on the sparrow

  • doriscott20002000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2006
      We were walking up the street coming from Jamaica in New York two
      years ago, when my friend told me about Edith Piaf the famous French
      singer who lived only a short life of 48 years and I remember the
      goosepimples I felt on my skin.

      Somehow since I had her voice in mind from time to time now I looked
      up the page for her biography and at first I was shocked with the
      feeling I better skip the page. But I didn't.

      I am not very eager to give the link to everybody to read but in
      case somebody wants to read it and does read it he or she may
      understand when I am saying it's kind of heartbreaking. You can also
      listen to some of her songs sung with her powerul but sweet voice.

      http://www.edithpiaf.com/

      Over 40'000 people came to her funeral, but what this woman may have
      went through only God knows. Living at a time where outer
      circumstances were not of the best (the second world war was going
      on) and deplorable family life conditions how could she blossom? Yet
      she did! What an irony that she was given a nickname 'La Mome Piaf'
      meaning 'the little sparrow.'

      Isn't it much easier for us to add to someones fate and throw our
      own 'garbage' into others then to show our compassionate feelings?

      When I read biographies such as her's I get a deeper understanding
      for Sri Chinmoy's writings.

      One of my favourites are as follows:

      (unofficial)

      "The philosophy of the New Millennium will be: do not see faults in
      anybody's life; do not see the faults in your own life. Only force
      yourself to see all the good things you have done, all the good
      things you are planning to do and all the good things that others
      have done."

      "In the next millennium, the goal of philosophy will be only to see
      the light in oneself and the light in others. Then only will you be
      able to expedite the arrival of world-peace and world-oneness."

      -Sri Chinmoy
    • melinda_geelong
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2006
        I am enjoying all of your postings Doris.

        This one particularly reminds me about an account I read of
        Nelson Mandela's inaugural speech when he was elected to
        parliament in South Africa.
        I have seen the first half of the writing of Sri Chinmoy that you
        selected, in fact I have a copy of it framed on my desk as a
        reminder to myself!, but strangely I had not read the second part
        about the light in ourselves. Even stranger is the amazing
        co-oincidence that the part of Nelson Mandela's speech that
        really brought goosebumps to me was where he said that it is
        not the darkness in ourselves that we fear but the light. He went
        on to say that not until each and every one of us feels and
        accepts the light that we have within and offers it to the world will
        we progress towards our goal. I cannot recall the exact words he
        used but I am sure they are recorded somewhere accessible as
        it is a famous speech that I incidentally happened to read on the
        back of a door! Not doing the speech justice perhaps but at least
        I saw it!
        How like the sentiments of Sri Chinmoy are his words of
        inspiration?
        In a similar vein, Jesus Christ said that if we bring forward that
        which we have inside ourselves it can save us but if we do not
        bring forward that which we have inside, it will destroy us.
        Some lives are lived to be seen and heard I think.
        Bravo Doris!

        In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com,
        doriscott20002000 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > We were walking up the street coming from Jamaica in New
        York two
        > years ago, when my friend told me about Edith Piaf the famous
        French
        > singer who lived only a short life of 48 years and I remember
        the
        > goosepimples I felt on my skin.
        >
        > Somehow since I had her voice in mind from time to time now I
        looked
        > up the page for her biography and at first I was shocked with
        the
        > feeling I better skip the page. But I didn't.
        >
        > I am not very eager to give the link to everybody to read but in
        > case somebody wants to read it and does read it he or she
        may
        > understand when I am saying it's kind of heartbreaking. You
        can also
        > listen to some of her songs sung with her powerul but sweet
        voice.

        > http://www.edithpiaf.com/
        >
        > Over 40'000 people came to her funeral, but what this woman
        may have
        > went through only God knows. Living at a time where outer
        > circumstances were not of the best (the second world war was
        going
        > on) and deplorable family life conditions how could she
        blossom? Yet
        > she did! What an irony that she was given a nickname 'La
        Mome Piaf'
        > meaning 'the little sparrow.'
        >
        > Isn't it much easier for us to add to someones fate and throw
        our
        > own 'garbage' into others then to show our compassionate
        feelings?

        > When I read biographies such as her's I get a deeper
        understanding
        > for Sri Chinmoy's writings.
        >
        > One of my favourites are as follows:
        >
        > (unofficial)
        >
        > "The philosophy of the New Millennium will be: do not see
        faults in
        > anybody's life; do not see the faults in your own life. Only force
        > yourself to see all the good things you have done, all the good
        > things you are planning to do and all the good things that
        others
        > have done."
        >
        > "In the next millennium, the goal of philosophy will be only to
        see
        > the light in oneself and the light in others. Then only will you be
        > able to expedite the arrival of world-peace and world-oneness."
        >
        > -Sri Chinmoy

      • doriscott20002000
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 28, 2006
          Thank you Melinda, so do I. Your play at last x-mas trip from the
          book "My Lord's Secrets Revealed" was a highlight for me. Remember?

          I am sure I will never be able to do justice to this great and good
          man- Nelson Mandela.

          In honor of his birthday on July, 18th I may most humbly offer a
          link where you can read exerpts of his autobiography "Long Walk To
          Freedom" that is most exciting to read and that shows most clearly
          his wisdom and courage.

          He says (paraphrasing): "Freedom does not begin after you are freed
          from your chains, but after you have made friends with your enemies."

          He is an outstanding example for having realised what he was
          preaching.

          http://archives.obs-us.com/obs/german/books/Mandela/achap66.html

          Thank you again for the deep inspiration. I am eagerly reading more
          about Nelson Mandela.

          And yes, one can never be enough reminded of Jesus' life and
          utterances.

          Doris

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, melinda_geelong