Re: Independence Day Festivities

  • suchana27
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
      Dear Sharani,

      This posting is probably reaching you during your trip in Japan.
      Hope you are also seeing beautiful swans there!

      Today in Argentine, we are celebrating our "Independence Day". In the
      morning, the Spanish tradition invites everybody to have a delicious
      hot chocolate and some "churros" -traditional fried sticklike cakes
      made of flavour, water and sugar.

      But today, what is people doing in the afternoon? Guess! They are
      watching the final football match of the World Cup in Berlin!

      Happy Japanese tour!
      Suchana
      P.S.: I visited Vasanti's album. Those flags look like a nice concert
      of nations!

      > As I left a Harmony Run planning meeting after work tonight, boom,
      > boom, ooh, ahh! Fireworks finale in the sky over the trees. Tomorrow
      > is the celebration of America's independence, more commonly called
      > just "the fourth of July". At first when I got home I was just
      > leisurely eating a creamsicle and drinking in summer's true arrival
      > with delightful sunshine at last over the past few days, gentle
      > breezes and that lazy hazy feeling that everything will be right
      fine
      > in the universe.
      >
      > Boom, boom, boom, zoom - all around I heard the noise of fireworks
      > still going off, both far away and seemingly right on my street.
      With
      > these sound effects I just had to rush upstairs and work on my
      > patriotic 4th of July gallery album about a town in Rhode Island
      that
      > hosts the oldest July 4th parade in America. It seemed only fitting
      > create the album and write about it with this accompaniment (now
      it's
      > actually quiet).
      >
      > I went on a camera outing to the town, Bristol, on Saturday because
      > knew too well that getting anywhere close to the town on the day of
      > the parade is a near impossibility. Twice our centre participated in
      > the parade and even some centre members from New York came to be in
      it
      > too. Both times the theme was the Harmony Run. Once our float won a
      prize.

      > Parades are a real July 4th tradition. When I was a kid, we used to
      > decorate our bikes with streamers and ride in the parade and when we
      > got a little older, we devised more elaborate costumes and themes in
      > hopes of winning a prize in the contest for parade entries.
      >
      > I was going to include a quote by Guru about America but my book of
      > compilations on this topic is hiding from me and the online library
      is
      > down at the moment. So I'll just sign off with a link to the new
      album
      > on Bristol Rhode Island at:
      > http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/members/sharani/bristolri/
      >
      > Happy 4th to all who celebrate it!
      > Sharani
      > p.s. if you want to see more than just an abundance of American
      flags
      > coming out of your ears then visit Vasanti's new album about the
      World
      > Cup Football games which shows flags of many nations flying in
      Germany

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 20, 2006
        Dear Suchana,
        Happy Belated Independence Day to you! I am embarassed to admit how
        long it was after I got back that I read this message. As a "frequent
        flyer" I find that adjusting to the time difference is always harder
        when one travels from west to east rather than east to west. I had
        virtually no jet lag after I got to Japan (flew east to west) but
        since I've returned ( a flight from west to east) I seem to be in slow
        motion to completely return to normal. Wickedly hot heat here and
        severe thunderstorms didn't help either in my inclination to sit at my
        computer on the second floor of my house and edit photos or think of
        how to say that visiting Japan had a more profound effect on me than
        any other country I have ever been to.

        Maybe by tomorrow I will write more about Japan and post photos. At
        the moment, I'm trying to restrain myself from summing it all up by
        saying "honk if you like peace and quiet" a funny zen-spoof pun/car
        bumper sticker. Since the inner stillness and quiet was one of my
        favourite things in Japan it feels almost contrary to "talk" much
        about it. It certainly brought back my shy tendencies and kind of
        bolstered them. Archee certainly hit the nail on the head when she
        said that she could see that my demeanor would resonate with Japanese
        culture.

        Well, once jet lag flies away completely I suppose my more verbose
        side will re-emerge!

        Sharani
        p.s. have you ever been to Japan Suchana?

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, suchana27

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2006
          Dear Sharani,

          I'll be more than delighted of everything you can tell us about Japan
          as I have never been there. Our Japanese community here is important
          for they helped in some way establish 'The Flower National Day'
          in 'Escobar', a beautiful community at about one hour away from
          Buenos Aires by car.

          The celebrations take place in September -when the spring starts in
          the southern hemisphere- and last for about two weeks. Local Japanese
          people show their most beautiful gardens, there is a parade and
          a 'National Flower Queen' is selected every year.

          Enjoy your back home!

          In oneness,
          Suchana
          PS:Last time I forgot to announce our last World Harmony Run in the
          Argentinian 'pampas', you can have a look at it in:
          www.worldharmonyrun.org/argentina

          We had a nice and prayerful harmony run there. Everybody was very
          enthusiastic indeed!