The second marathon in my life

  • olga_nevergiveup
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2006
      This weekend, on 24-25 June we had a Joy Day of the entire Ural
      region of Russia. Many centers gathered in a beautiful town
      surrounded by mountains, near by one of the cleanest lakes of
      Russia.

      One of the remarkable events in the program was participation in
      international marathon which took place in this city exactly on
      Sunday. We represented there Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team, and all of
      us were in T-shorts of World Harmony Run. Moreover we had a
      wonderful opportunity to run with flags and a torch one lap round the
      stadium which was full of sportsmen, children and other people!
      For me this was the second marathon in my life. I run ultra
      marathons for a few times, but marathon – only once. This first time
      was exactly one year ago, at the same marathon! So, I could non miss
      an opportunity to celebrate a one-year anniversary since my first
      marathon and I decided to run the second one :-)

      First, let me shortly tell a couple of words about my first marathon.
      It happened about half of a year after I became a disciple. Never
      before I ran more than 3 km. When I became a student of Sri Chinmoy
      I tried to start running, but it happened not at once, a few months
      later, when all snow bowed at streets and after 12 hours walk (it was
      my first self transcendence :-) ) in April I started running a couple
      of times a week. The more I ran, the more I liked it and by June of
      last year I finally started running almost daily! But it was just
      around 2 miles at working week, and 3-4 miles at weekend, never more
      than 4 miles.

      So, when I applied to participate in this race, I chose to run only
      half-marathon. But the interesting thing was that the route of
      marathon lies round the lake and if you run half-marathon, you just
      should turn back at some certain point, but everybody start
      together. Last year I ran with one girl who was going to run the
      entire marathon. We started together, and I intended to turn back
      with all running 21 km. We ran so nice together, not too fast, even
      talking about something :-) and I had a such a filling, that I did
      not want to turn back, I had a lot of energy and it seemed to me,
      that I would be able to complete the entire marathon. Moreover,
      something inside of me pushed me to continue running, I had clear
      feeling that I would be able to run round the lake and that I should
      do it. So, I followed this feeling and passed by the point where
      everybody running half-marathon turned back. Not going too deep into
      details, I can say that I finished that marathon! It was unbelievable
      for me. I always considered marathoners as supermen and now I did it
      also! For my mind it was something incredible! But my heart felt that
      if there is God's Will, then everything becomes possible. Thus, I
      finished my first marathon in 4 hours 41 minute and next day I almost
      did not feel any discomfort in my legs. At that moment, I felt that
      running is what I should do! Since that I have completed 75 km, 13-
      hour run and 10 day-race.

      As for this year… I had a goal in time, I wanted to improve my last
      year result and to run out of 4 hours. Two days before Sunday it was
      raining and the road lying around the lake was washed out. There
      were a lot of large pools and mud everywhere. Almost the whole road
      lies near by the forest and goes up and down, up and down, because it
      is very close to mountains. Sometimes slope up started just 50
      meters after down, and the angle varied from 5 to about 30 degree!!!
      This marathon considers as one of the most difficult in Russia. In
      contrast to last year, this time I trained for this marathon and
      hoped to improve my result. For the entire time while I was running
      I tried to keep maximal concentration and to use different techniques
      of visualization and other methods described in many books of Sri
      Chinmoy devoted to sports. However I had time to talk a little bit
      with some people whom I passed and to invite them on the lecture
      which we had the next day :-))) In spite of a lot of rocks, mud and
      all slopes, by the mid of marathon when I looked at my watch, I
      realized that I ran not so bad and decided to change my goal from 4
      hours to 3:30. Since that I had to raise the pace, but 38-39th km
      still were ahead. These are the most difficult kilometers in
      marathon. When I started feeling too much tension in my legs and my
      mind started bothering me, I again tried to move the point of
      concentration and imagined that at some distance from me a dear
      person in my life would be sitting and when I approached that point, I
      moved it forward again. In such way I approached to the homestretch.
      The last kilometers, my speed was like if I ran 2 miles, I still had
      enough energy for the last sprint. The result was 3hours 31
      minute :) I was really VERY happy and overfilled with gratitude.

      In oneness heart,
      Olga
    • meriem_ao
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
        Congratulation Olga for your second marathon in 3:30. I am sure you
        will do even better next time. I am very impressed that after only
        one year of running, you dared to do a 10 day race.
        Keep transcending yourself,

        A secret admirer revealed,
        Meriem

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, olga_nevergiveup
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > all slopes, by the mid of marathon when I looked at my watch, I
        > realized that I ran not so bad and decided to change my goal from 4
        > hours to 3:30. Since that I had to raise the pace, but 38-39th km
        > still were ahead. These are the most difficult kilometers in
        > marathon. When I started feeling too much tension in my legs and my
        > mind started bothering me, I again tried to move the point of
        > concentration and imagined that at some distance from me a dear
        > person in my life would be sitting and when I approached that
        point, I
        > moved it forward again. In such way I approached to the homestretch.
        > The last kilometers, my speed was like if I ran 2 miles, I still had
        > enough energy for the last sprint. The result was 3hours 31
        > minute :) I was really VERY happy and overfilled with gratitude.

      • doriscott20002000
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2006
          My congratulations, Olga, that is a very good time. My best marathon
          I ran in 3,47 and it was a flat course.

          Doris :-)

          <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > realized that I ran not so bad and decided to change my goal from 4
          > hours to 3:30. Since that I had to raise the pace, but 38-39th
          km
          > still were ahead. These are the most difficult kilometers in
          > marathon. When I started feeling too much tension in my legs and
          my
          > mind started bothering me, I again tried to move the point of
          > concentration and imagined that at some distance from me a dear
          > person in my life would be sitting and when I approached that
          point, I
          > moved it forward again. In such way I approached to the
          homestretch.
          > The last kilometers, my speed was like if I ran 2 miles, I still
          had
          > enough energy for the last sprint. The result was 3hours 31
          > minute :) I was really VERY happy and overfilled with gratitude.

        • dietlclaudia
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2006
            Dear Olga,

            my heartfelt congratulations!!!!
            You are indeed a runner-soul. I deeply appreciate your joy and
            enthusiasm which is so outstanding and your running and smiling at
            the 10-day-race is still vividly in my memory.

            Greetings
            Claudia