Re: Husbands, please don't be useless rogues!

  • doriscott20002000
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
      The author of Exploding Tomatoes may forgive me (or feel
      complimented).

      The word "cosmic" in that context should have made me 'suspicious.'
      I better turn around and disappear whisteling: I am improving...be
      patient, please. ;-)

      Doris

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, doriscott20002000
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I particularly liked the commentary by Sri Chinmoy. Thank you.
      >
      > Doris
      >
      > [Dear Doris, I believe this commentary is by Dharmaja]
      >

      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dharmaja
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The Telegram
      > >
      > > A businessman went out on a business trip for twelve days. His
      wife
      > > was miserable because she could not accompany him. He told her
      > that he
      > > was not rich enough to bring her with him, but that he would
      bring
      > her
      > > back a very nice present.
      > >
      > > When his business was over, he was arguing with himself whether
      he
      > > should buy his wife a beautiful, expensive gift, or just tell
      her
      > that
      > > he had wanted to buy something most beautiful and expensive, but
      > that
      > > there was nothing available. In that way he could buy her
      something
      > > very cheap and inexpensive.
      > >
      > > Then he thought that perhaps if he sent a telegram she would be
      > very
      > > happy. If he called on the phone, she would cry and tell him all
      > > unhappy stories. It would be a long telephone conversation, and
      > very
      > > expensive. The best thing would be to send a telegram. In a few
      > words
      > > he would say everything.
      > >
      > > So he went to the telegram office and told the clerk how to word
      > the
      > > telegram: "Tomorrow I shall leave New Mexico for New York on the
      > 9:00
      > > flight and arrive at 3:30." Then he said, "I love you, John."
      >

      > > The clerk counted the words and said, "It will cost ten
      dollars."

      > > He said, "Ten dollars? I can't afford to spend ten dollars for a
      > > telegram. Please take out some words. The message should be the
      > same
      > > -- that I am leaving at such a time, so that she will be able to
      > meet
      > > me at the airport. But 'I love you' is unimportant, redundant.
      She
      > > knows that I love her. The best thing is to omit the phrase 'I
      > love you'."
      > >
      > > The clerk was a woman. She said, "The most important thing in the
      > > telegram you will omit? For a wife to get a short message, 'I
      love
      > > you', from her husband is like Heaven. How can you omit that?
      No,
      > you
      > > have to keep it. You can omit anything else."
      > >
      > > The man said, "The message I have to keep. All right, put the
      > message
      > > first and then put 'love' and sign it. 'I' and 'you' we can
      omit.
      > It
      > > is not necessary to say 'I love you'."
      > >
      > > The clerk said, "It is no good if you say only 'love'."
      > >
      > > The man said, "'I' and 'you' are understood."
      > >
      > > Several customers overheard the conversation. Some of the men
      took
      > the
      > > man's side. One of them said, "O God, what my wife does to me!
      How
      > > could I even think of writing that kind of thing? Never!"
      > >
      > > The businessman said to the clerk, "Even now it is more than I
      > want to
      > > spend." The clerk said, "You are such a useless husband. I shall
      > pay
      > > for the word 'love'." She took out some money from her wallet and
      > > said, "I am a woman and a wife. I know if I didn't get the
      > message 'I
      > > love you' from my husband, I would feel miserable. The best
      thing
      > is
      > > for me to pay for 'I love you'."
      > >
      > > A colleague of hers, another woman, overheard the conversation
      and
      > > came over. She said, "To hear from my husband, 'I love you', is
      not
      > > enough. For me, he has to add that he misses me very much."
      > >
      > > The man said, "Yes, at my expense."
      > >
      > > Another man listening again took his side: "Women only know how
      > > spend our money."
      > >
      > > The colleague said, "No, I shall pay for 'I miss you very much'.
      > You
      > > have to feel the heart of a woman. You husbands are so callous,
      so
      > > stone-hearted. You have no heart for your wives." So the second
      one
      > > paid for 'I miss you very much.' This is how the telegram was
      > sent.
      > >
      > > When the wife met the husband at the airport, she was so happy.
      She
      > > thanked her husband for sending her such a long telegram with
      such
      > > sweet words.
      > >
      > > The husband said, "You see, I always tell you that I love you
      and
      > miss
      > > you. You don't believe me, but my telegram is the proof. I
      wanted
      > > buy something very, very expensive, but that hopeless place I
      was
      > in
      > > didn't have anything expensive. So I bought you a beautiful
      mirror,
      > > because I always see in you a beautiful goddess. Now you can
      always
      > > look at the mirror and appreciate your beauty. That will give
      you
      > joy."
      > >
      > > Sri Chinmoy
      > > Excerpt from The Mushroom And The Umbrella
      > > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/mushroom-umbrella/9.html
      > >
      > > Commentary:
      > >
      > > To me, this story is about cosmic relationships, and the laws of
      > cause
      > > and effect.
      > >
      > > From the world of science and physics we now know that no action
      > > happens in isolation. Even a single thought or a single emotion
      > > carries with it a wave that permeates the cosmos.
      > >
      > > We should always be aware of the source of an action, and the
      > > potential consequence.
      > >
      > > Before we think anything, feel anything, say anything or do
      > anything,
      > > we should take a moment to see if the inner (thinking or
      feeling)
      > or
      > > outer (saying or doing) action is inspired by a force of goodness
      > > (selflessness, expansion), or if it is instigated by a mundane
      > force
      > > (selfishness, contraction).
      > >
      > > But that is not enough. We should also see the potential
      > consequences
      > > of pursuing a particular path of action. Is the action likely to
      > > result in a raising or lowering of our own consciousness or that
      of
      > > the recipients of the action?
      > >
      > > So, both the source and destination of any action we have to
      > monitor.
      > >
      > > Dharmaja
      > > San Diego

    • doriscott20002000
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2006
        Send you my bank account. ;-)

        I am sure you will be successful, save the rest of the ice for me.

        Doris