Subject: He runs the fastest...

  • harmonyvision <harmonyvision@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2003
      Atmatyagi, your anecdote reminds of a song by Sri Chinmoy:

      Chale Sei Drutatama

      He runs the fastest who does not run at all,
      And who, like Lord Shiva, is in deep meditation,
      trance-bound, still,
      Like day and night.
      And those who run toward the oasis in the deserts
      of desire,
      How can they run in search of the Light Supreme?

      I have not seen Bagger Vance, and have also missed the two Tolkien
      epics which were filmed in New Zealand. But I have always enjoyed Lord
      of the Rings in book form. There's a fascinating passage from The
      Fellowship of the Ring dealing with the subject of apostasy:

      "I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"
      I looked then and saw that his robes, which had seemed white, were not
      so, but were woven of all colours, and if he moved they shimmered and
      changed hue so that the eye was bewildered.
      "I liked white better," I said.
      "White!" he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be
      dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be
      broken."
      "In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a
      thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." (!!!)

      The great sage of ancient China, Lao Tzu, did not care to choose either
      the pure white light, or the creation of many colors, in which some
      doubt may arise. To him, each was an aspect of the other. He wrote:

      "Am I a man dreaming that I am a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming
      that I am a man?"

      When I read Sri Chinmoy's visionary poem, The Sun Is Dancing, I ask
      myself: Does this poem express the consciousness of man discovering
      that he is infinite, or the consciousness of God divinely enjoying His
      finite creation? This question cannot be answered in words, but only in
      the deep silence of spiritual contemplation.

      The Sun Is Dancing

      The sun is dancing,
      The moon is dancing,
      The stars are dancing.
      I am dancing this moment
      With the sun, moon and stars.
      Next moment I am sailing
      With the sky.
      The sky makes me feel
      That I am the vastness of Infinity's Heart;
      The sun, moon and stars make me feel
      That God's creation is for ecstacy's beginningless birth
      And endless journey.

      © Sri Chinmoy
      from Transcendence-Perfection

      http://www.poetseers.org/

      The web's fastest growing site for spiritual poetry!