Re: On Seeking & Sainthood

  • shardul_nz
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      Thank you for this post - it is exremely encouraging!

      Simplicity and potency. This is the most wonderful thing about Sri
      Chinmoy's poetry. In eight simple words, he has summed up the essence
      of what it takes to become saintly - one should endlessly continue and
      never give up. No matter the joys or sorrows, the victories and
      defeats - the thing is to endlessly continue and to progress - one
      step followed by the next. Sri Chinmoy himself is the perfect
      example of this attitude. In the 20 years I have had the privilege of
      calling him my Guru, the one thing that stands out to me is Sri
      Chinmoy's relentless persuit of progress (not success) - not only for
      his own personal goals, but also in his service to his students and
      the world. To quote the title of a book of his poetry that I recently
      recieved from a friend, Sri Chinmoy's is 'The Ever-New Vision and The
      Ever-Ancient Reality.' He is, like other great spiritual figure
      throughout history, showing us a new approach to the ancient goal of
      this sacred ever-green game called life.

      If the saying 'It takes one to know one.' has any credence, one can
      easily see and feel through Sri Chinmoy's poetry that he is a saint's
      saint. How else could it be that he is able to write such lofty
      utterances in language that are so easy to understand and absorb. To
      me it is the hallmark of one who has reached the Everest of spiritual
      attainment on the one hand, and is more than endowed with the capacity
      and willingness to relate the highest spiritual truths and secrets to
      those of us that are still journeying toward that epoch of human
      experience. With each word, each poem, each action, he is encouraging
      us to keep moving relentlessly forward and not to give up.

      Of course, Sri Chinmoy has also written more complex and long poetic
      pieces - a fulfilling feast as opposed to a simple fulfilling meal
      perhaps. Here is one of my favourites from the immortal volume called
      'My Flute'.

      HOPE

      Thou art my Lord, my golden dream,
      Thou art my life in death.
      O bless me with Thy Hope Supreme,
      Lord of the Eternal Breath!
      Agelong the vision of Thy Sun
      For darkness have I sought.
      I know the evils I should shun
      And quickly bring to nought.
      The earth is deaf and blind, my Lord;
      Its true goal it denies.
      It hears no voice, no heavenly word
      From those who seek the skies.
      O yet I feel Thy kingly Grace
      With my feeble mortality.
      I shall win at last the Noonward Race,
      Plunge in the Nectar-Sea.

      - Sri Chinmoy.

      My Flute: http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/my-flute/

      Gratitude to Sri Chinmoy and to the kind people who post his poetry
      on this site. Thank you...

      Shardul.

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, do_slava
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > A saint is a seeker
      > Who endlessly continued.
      >
      > Sri Chinmoy
      > # 43,199, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees

    • do_slava
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
        Shardul,

        Thank you as well for this outpouring of devotion. I too was
        mesmerized upon reading these two lines of poetry -- the words
        entered deep inside me and were coming to my mind over and over. Not
        until a few days later did I start to get glimpses of the immensity
        of its meaning and the powerful encouragement that it offers.

        Slava D.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shardul_nz