New Month

  • vasanti_hd
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      Newness has been a theme in many posts before. I always love how Sri
      Chinmoy encourages us to move forward with fresh enthusiasm, energy
      and inspiration and let past failures or shortcomings be dust - like
      a child determined and eager to learn how to walk.

      In my early years on the path, Sri Chinmoy used to ask his students
      to meet in the early morning of each first of the month at the Centre
      to meditate together. I always took it as a great opportunity to
      renew our inspiration and aspiration for the month ahead.

      Some of us may have made New Year's resolutions - and failed to keep
      them up. So a new month can be a new opportunity to start again with
      fresh determination and to "fly on aspiration-wings".

      I recently found a beautiful poem by Sri Chinmoy that was posted for
      the beginning of, I think, 2005. It associates the month of March
      with the quality determination.

      ***

      Dear Brother, Sweet Sister

      January, my dear brother January,
      Please give me an inspiration-flower.

      February, my sweet sister February,
      Please give me an aspiration-flame.

      March, my dear brother March,
      Please give me a determination-bull.

      April, my sweet sister April,
      Please give me a luminosity-mind.

      May, my sweet sister May,
      Please give me a purity-heart.

      June, my dear brother June,
      Please give me an ever-new
      Concentration-arrow.

      July, my sweet sister July,
      Please give me a deer-speed.

      August, my dear brother August,
      Please give me a meditation-mountain.

      September, my sweet sister September,
      Please give me a surrender-lamb.

      October, my sweet sister October,
      Please give me a sacrifice-horse.

      November, my sweet sister November,
      Please give me the realisation-sun.

      December, my dear brother December,
      Please give me my Lion-Lord's
      Satisfaction-roar.

      Excerpt from Aurora-Flora
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/aurora-flora/17.html
      *****

      4559. Determination-Smiles

      My heart's aspiration-plant
      Needs seven determination-smiles
      Every day
      So that it can grow soulfully,
      Confidently and triumphantly.
      And these smiles must come from
      My heart's blue bird:
      My soul.

      from Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 46
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flower-flames/part46/59.html

      Smilingly
      Vasanti :)
    • sarah_inseattle
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006
        Vasaniti,

        What an inspiring post. I had never seen the poem, "Dear Brother,
        Dear Sister," which is *new* to me :-) It is love at first sight.

        I can think of a lot of ways to integrate both the idea and the poem
        into my spiritual life. For starters, I am going to print it out and
        put it next to my wall calendar.

        Your post also reminds me... When I was growing up, I had a
        girlfriend who claimed that if the word "rabbit" was the first word
        you uttered on the first day of a new month, you would have good
        luck all that month. (I discovered this during a sleepover, when in
        the morning she suddenly blurted out, "Rabbit!") Also, I spent a
        number of New Year's Eves with her, when, just after the stroke of
        midnight, she would exclaim, "Rabbit! Happy New Year!" She
        explained that on January 1 you have an opportunity for luck for the
        entire year, as well as the month. While I've been pretty
        inconsistent in adapting her "rabbit" habit, it did teach me to
        sometimes give pause on the first day of a new month.

        Gratitude,
        Sarah

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, vasanti_hd
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Newness has been a theme in many posts before. I always love how
        Sri
        > Chinmoy encourages us to move forward with fresh enthusiasm,
        energy
        > and inspiration and let past failures or shortcomings be dust -
        like
        > a child determined and eager to learn how to walk.
        >
        > In my early years on the path, Sri Chinmoy used to ask his
        students
        > to meet in the early morning of each first of the month at the
        Centre
        > to meditate together. I always took it as a great opportunity to
        > renew our inspiration and aspiration for the month ahead.
        >
        > Some of us may have made New Year's resolutions - and failed to
        keep
        > them up. So a new month can be a new opportunity to start again
        with
        > fresh determination and to "fly on aspiration-wings".
        >
        > I recently found a beautiful poem by Sri Chinmoy that was posted
        for
        > the beginning of, I think, 2005. It associates the month of March
        > with the quality determination.
        >
        > ***
        >
        > Dear Brother, Sweet Sister
        >
        > January, my dear brother January,
        > Please give me an inspiration-flower.
        >
        > February, my sweet sister February,
        > Please give me an aspiration-flame.
        >
        > March, my dear brother March,
        > Please give me a determination-bull.
        >
        > April, my sweet sister April,
        > Please give me a luminosity-mind.
        >
        > May, my sweet sister May,
        > Please give me a purity-heart.
        >
        > June, my dear brother June,
        > Please give me an ever-new
        > Concentration-arrow.
        >
        > July, my sweet sister July,
        > Please give me a deer-speed.
        >
        > August, my dear brother August,
        > Please give me a meditation-mountain.
        >
        > September, my sweet sister September,
        > Please give me a surrender-lamb.
        >
        > October, my sweet sister October,
        > Please give me a sacrifice-horse.
        >
        > November, my sweet sister November,
        > Please give me the realisation-sun.
        >
        > December, my dear brother December,
        > Please give me my Lion-Lord's
        > Satisfaction-roar.
        >
        > Excerpt from Aurora-Flora
        > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/aurora-flora/17.html
        > *****
        >
        > 4559. Determination-Smiles
        >
        > My heart's aspiration-plant
        > Needs seven determination-smiles
        > Every day
        > So that it can grow soulfully,
        > Confidently and triumphantly.
        > And these smiles must come from
        > My heart's blue bird:
        > My soul.
        >
        > from Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 46
        > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flower-
        flames/part46/59.html

        > Smilingly
        > Vasanti :)

      • vasanti_hd
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2006
          What a cute story, Sarah! I am sure everyone has to find their own
          best mantra to start a new month (and you should not give it away!):)

          Your story reminded me of a class I gave years ago, where a totally
          sweet young girl, full of light (around 18 years) attended. After I
          had explained about concentration and the various objects you can
          use for concentration exercises, emphasizing that it helps if you
          have an inner relationship or connection with the object (some love
          flowers more, some the light of a candle), she asked, completely
          innocently and seriously, if she could also concentrate on her
          stuffed toy bunny!
          (Inwardly I thought she may be predestined to join our path for her
          love of stuffed toy animals, but I think she got stuck with her
          bunny...)

          By the way, I really loved the silence-sea poem in your other post,
          I had never read it before.

          Vasanti

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Please give me a meditation-mountain.
          > >
          > > September, my sweet sister September,
          > > Please give me a surrender-lamb.
          > >
          > > October, my sweet sister October,
          > > Please give me a sacrifice-horse.
          > >
          > > November, my sweet sister November,
          > > Please give me the realisation-sun.
          > >
          > > December, my dear brother December,
          > > Please give me my Lion-Lord's
          > > Satisfaction-roar.
          > >
          > > Excerpt from Aurora-Flora
          > > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/aurora-flora/17.html
          > > *****
          > >
          > > 4559. Determination-Smiles
          > >
          > > My heart's aspiration-plant
          > > Needs seven determination-smiles
          > > Every day
          > > So that it can grow soulfully,
          > > Confidently and triumphantly.
          > > And these smiles must come from
          > > My heart's blue bird:
          > > My soul.
          > >
          > > from Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 46

        • sarah_inseattle
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2006
            Hi Vasanti,

            Glad you enjoyed my "Rabbit" story and I can see why it reminded you
            of the girl in your class with the stuffed toy bunny! (By the way,
            my girlfriend's entire family said "rabbit" on the first day of the
            month!)

            However, I cannot take the credit for posting the Silence-Sea poem; -
            -- that was sare-bare Sarah, whereas I am sarah_inseattle. :-)
            But I would *like* to have been the one who posted it!

            Happy Day,
            Sarah
            Seattle