On Seeking & Sainthood

  • do_slava
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006
      A saint is a seeker
      Who endlessly continued.

      Sri Chinmoy
      # 43,199, Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees
    • shardul_nz
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
        Thank you for this post - it is exremely encouraging!

        Simplicity and potency. This is the most wonderful thing about Sri
        Chinmoy's poetry. In eight simple words, he has summed up the essence
        of what it takes to become saintly - one should endlessly continue and
        never give up. No matter the joys or sorrows, the victories and
        defeats - the thing is to endlessly continue and to progress - one
        step followed by the next. Sri Chinmoy himself is the perfect
        example of this attitude. In the 20 years I have had the privilege of
        calling him my Guru, the one thing that stands out to me is Sri
        Chinmoy's relentless persuit of progress (not success) - not only for
        his own personal goals, but also in his service to his students and
        the world. To quote the title of a book of his poetry that I recently
        recieved from a friend, Sri Chinmoy's is 'The Ever-New Vision and The
        Ever-Ancient Reality.' He is, like other great spiritual figure
        throughout history, showing us a new approach to the ancient goal of
        this sacred ever-green game called life.

        If the saying 'It takes one to know one.' has any credence, one can
        easily see and feel through Sri Chinmoy's poetry that he is a saint's
        saint. How else could it be that he is able to write such lofty
        utterances in language that are so easy to understand and absorb. To
        me it is the hallmark of one who has reached the Everest of spiritual
        attainment on the one hand, and is more than endowed with the capacity
        and willingness to relate the highest spiritual truths and secrets to
        those of us that are still journeying toward that epoch of human
        experience. With each word, each poem, each action, he is encouraging
        us to keep moving relentlessly forward and not to give up.

        Of course, Sri Chinmoy has also written more complex and long poetic
        pieces - a fulfilling feast as opposed to a simple fulfilling meal
        perhaps. Here is one of my favourites from the immortal volume called
        'My Flute'.

        HOPE

        Thou art my Lord, my golden dream,
        Thou art my life in death.
        O bless me with Thy Hope Supreme,
        Lord of the Eternal Breath!
        Agelong the vision of Thy Sun
        For darkness have I sought.
        I know the evils I should shun
        And quickly bring to nought.
        The earth is deaf and blind, my Lord;
        Its true goal it denies.
        It hears no voice, no heavenly word
        From those who seek the skies.
        O yet I feel Thy kingly Grace
        With my feeble mortality.
        I shall win at last the Noonward Race,
        Plunge in the Nectar-Sea.

        - Sri Chinmoy.

        My Flute: http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/my-flute/

        Gratitude to Sri Chinmoy and to the kind people who post his poetry
        on this site. Thank you...

        Shardul.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, do_slava

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
          Shardul,

          Thank you as well for this outpouring of devotion. I too was
          mesmerized upon reading these two lines of poetry -- the words
          entered deep inside me and were coming to my mind over and over. Not
          until a few days later did I start to get glimpses of the immensity
          of its meaning and the powerful encouragement that it offers.

          Slava D.

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shardul_nz