Re: OT Why should I like jazz?

  • vasanti_hd
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 27, 2006
      Hi Mrinali and everyone...

      I asked Bartika whether Guru had said anything why he is inspiring
      them to play jazz. It seems Guru only said that he is "trying to do
      something special" through it. And one time when they performed in
      New York, he said he was not satisfied because their performance
      lacked "enthusiasm and life-energy".

      So I guess we can only guess.... My guess is, since Guru is always
      trying to bring Light down into all aspects of life, this may be just
      another way of bringing light into the vital and physical. And it is
      quite special to ask girls to do that - since they tend to be much
      more intent on staying "soulful" and not entering into the vital and
      physical which is definitely involved with jazz, whereas boys much
      more easily and happily may get carried away with it (and they are
      already experimenting with combining jazz-type music and spiritual
      music anyway).

      It is also quite amazing because, as has been mentioned in
      another post, Guru used to not appreciate the music of the vital and
      physical too much - since very often it has quite lightless
      qualities, like aggressiveness and restlessness. But, as with sports,
      which has been viewed as "unspiritual" in different traditions,
      probably everything can be done with a spiritual attitude, with
      innocent joy, with the soul's light and power, and used for
      transformation - so this is now a jazz (and rock) experiment.

      It also struck me that jazz improvisation and the dialoge between the
      players (call and answer) has much in common with Indian
      music - with the ragas, there is also a lot of improvisation on a set
      theme, and when e.g. tablas and sitar (or sarod etc.) "communicate",
      it is very jazz-like! This is another beautiful aspect of both -
      (inner) communication, heart to heart, and oneness in diversity.

      I remember, when I got interested in meditation, I abandoned Jazz and
      used to listen for hours to Ravi Shankar (after a brief dip into
      Dollar Brand - or "Abdullah Ibrahim" - who also had some quite
      ecstatic, almost mantric performances).

      Vasanti

      (See also Niriha's message no. 16882 about Suchaturi's performance in
      Malaysia - thanks for sharing it, Nirhia!)

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, mrinalicc
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > My goodness, what a fearless question! You have opened a Pandora's
      > box with this one.
      > What sort of jazz are you talking about? There is traditional
      jazz,
      > modern jazz, jazz-blues, classical jazz ... probably an endless
      list
      > by now.
      >
      > I loved modern jazz, especially piano. But I can't recall any
      > artists much, (since it's been nearly two decades now)
      > I do remember I loved an Australian band called "Galapagos Duck",
      > and I liked B.B. King. I for one hate anything that has a ukelele
      > in it (apologies to all the ukelele players!)
      >
      > I am intrigued by Sri Chinmoy asking one of the musical groups in
      NY
      > to play jazz and wonder what he might see/hear in this medium that
      > we don't know about. Does anyone have any inside knowledge??
      >
      > Mrinali
      >
      > In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, morrisklein27
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Once again, this is very off-topic, but I'm wondering if someone
      > could respond to my
      > > absolutely beginner's mind questions on jazz.
      > >
      > > 1.What is jazz?
      > >
      > > 2.What separates jazz from classical music. I mean, they use
      > pretty much the same
      > > instruments, don't they? And don't many jazz musicians have a
      > classical background?
      > >
      > > 3.Does jazz take the same amount of training that classical music
      > does?
      > >

      > > I've never gotten into jazz. I love classical music, though.
      But