Click of a Camera

  • vasanti_hd
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 2006
      Not only for photo-lovers...

      Before I get to answer any posts (like yours, Purnakama, but thanks
      already for your nice reply!), here just another poetic gem I found
      on the internet, on the poet-seer website, while looking for special
      words...

      The Click Of A Camera

      The click of a camera
      Brings down Immortality
      Into a fragile human frame.
      The soul of the Infinite
      And the body of the finite
      Play hide and seek
      In the Heart-Smile
      Of the Absolute Supreme

      From " The Wings of Light " by Sri Chinmoy

      http://www.poetseers.org/the_poetseers/sri_chinmoy/library/the_wings_of_light/part_1

      Is it not like a description of the Transcendental - and what a
      beautiful one, breathtakingly simple and powerful?

      Although I love the Wings of Light, I don't remember ever reading
      this poem before.

      Vasanti

      P.S. Actually, this would be another topic: stories about the
      Transcendental, and the hidden smile in it...

      P.P.S: One of my favourite words is "soul-stirring".
    • niriha7
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2006
        Thank you dear Vasanti for this wonderful post. I feel that the poem,
        "Click Of A Camera" is indeed about the photograph of Sri Chinmoy
        referred to as the Transdental.

        Many years ago I read a poem by Sri Chinmoy with a similar theme. It
        spoke of the miracle of an infinite consciousness contained in a tiny
        finite body. I have searched for this poem many times over the years
        but have not found it again. It is a concept that has always captured
        my imagination; a concept that speaks of the miracle that a God
        realized consciousness can be contained in a human being. For me, the
        greatest miracle is having the portrayal of this consciousness by Sri
        Chinmoy in my life.

        Niriha

        PS Regarding the hidden smile in the Transcendental photograph, I
        recall something that one of Sri Chinmoy's students told me many years
        ago - before leaving for work each morning, she would look at the
        Transcendental photograph to make sure it was smiling at her. She told
        me it was her "consciousness check" since when in a good consciousness
        she could easily see the smile contained therein.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, vasanti_hd

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
          In the sentence below, the word "Transcendental" was misspelled.

          ". . .I feel that the poem, "Click Of A Camera" is indeed about the
          photograph of Sri Chinmoy referred to as the Transdental."

          Upon making the discovery of this mistake, I had two spontaneous
          thoughts: The first was that one should take extra care when
          performing any task shortly after a very long flight home. (Do I
          detect an attempt at making an excuse for such a glaring mistake?)
          Secondly, it occurred to me how much behind the scenes work our
          Assistant Moderator did as such a mistake would not have made it
          through his gates without a quiet correction. He only brought such
          mistakes to our attention when they were oft repeated.

          ^ ^
          @ @
          ~

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7 <no_reply@...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
            Hi Niriha,

            thank you for your sweet story!

            I found a poem for you - maybe not the one your were looking for, but
            along the same line (I remembered only something with "tiny body-
            cage"):

            9374. Reality-Freedom-Sky

            Although the soul-bird has allowed itself
            To be caught inside the tiny body-cage,
            It still carries the message
            Of the boundless Reality-Freedom-Sky.

            from Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 94

            http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flower-flames/part94/74.html

            Greetings
            Vasanti

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2006
              Thank you Vasanti. The poem that I recall reading was in "Beyond,
              Within" - or so I thought. I have not been able to find it there however.

              The poem that you have offered here from Ten-Thousand Flower Flames is
              similar so I thank you.

              Some time back, you asked about how to search things on the
              Inspiration Site. Before answering you, I tried the search myself but
              continued to receive a "Your internet connection has timed out"
              message before any results were in. This was while in Malaysia.

              Now home, I have tried to find the number of the post you asked about
              that Joygata wrote. By typing his name into the *search* box which is
              across from the green word *MESSAGES* at the top of the page, his
              postings come up. Sometimes you will receive a message that the
              search has timed out (different from losing an internet connection)
              and you will see a grey box which says *search more*. You can actually
              continue this process all the way back to the beginning of postings on
              the Inspiration Site. In this case, the number of the message you
              were looking for is 16007 - In Defence of Whites where Jogyata
              humorously defends Nayana's misspelling of the word humorous. She
              wrote humerous. He says:

              I have to spring to Nayana's defence here – in my knightly whites of
              course – and point out that the word she used was `humerous', not
              `humerus' as you supposed, and not `humorous' as one might have
              supposed she intended. Our language is constantly evolving and is not
              static, fossilized, and I would like to congratulate Nayana on
              inventing a lovely new word to add to our rich literary heritage. May
              I humbly propose that `humerous' henceforth means: `of or pertaining
              to mirthful humour that titillates the humerus ie arm bone somewhere.'
              Congrats Nayana, you have further enriched the English language.

              Then he went on to offer a clever and witty poem.

              Subjects can also be searched. I recently did a search on the words
              *Olympic Games* and where it was used in the title of a post, it
              showed up.

              Hopes this helps you.

              Niriha

              PS Doris was saying that she did not care for interpretations of Sri
              Chinmoy's poetry. I have heard Guru expressed a similar feeling
              though when asked, as he has been at times, what a poem meant, he has
              compassionately answered. However, I appreciate both yours and
              Arpan's explanation as to why you like to do it.

              <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > The click of a camera
              > > > Brings down Immortality
              > > > Into a fragile human frame.
              > > > The soul of the Infinite
              > > > And the body of the finite
              > > > Play hide and seek
              > > > In the Heart-Smile
              > > > Of the Absolute Supreme
              > > >
              > > > From " The Wings of Light " by Sri Chinmoy
              > > >

              > http://www.poetseers.org/the_poetseers/sri_chinmoy/library/the_wings_o
              > f_light/part_1
              > > >
              > > > Is it not like a description of the Transcendental - and what a
              > > > beautiful one, breathtakingly simple and powerful?
              > > >
              > > > Although I love the Wings of Light, I don't remember ever reading
              > > > this poem before.
              > > >
              > > > Vasanti
              > > >
              > > > P.S. Actually, this would be another topic: stories about the
              > > > Transcendental, and the hidden smile in it...
              > > >
              > > > P.P.S: One of my favourite words is "soul-stirring".

            • mrinalicc
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1 10:44 PM
                Niriha, this is very helpful advice about the search option.
                I also loved that poem you refer to (the Infinite in the tiny body
                cage) and have begun to search my shelves at home. I am sure that I
                have it, and it's keeping me awake at night!

                Now, I wonder if anyone can help me with a reference; I recall a
                conversation with the Supreme poem, where the Supreme is entreating
                Guru to come back to Him in the Higher World, only he ends
                ironically with
                ".... bring quick with you the world,
                Else I shall moan!"

                and so simultaneously indicates the importance of the manifestation
                mission of Sri Chinmoy in the world, its urgency, and I suppose the
                promise to take his students to the goal as well. Imagine, the
                responsibility on Sri Chinmoy's shoulders to please the Supreme in
                this way!

                Sometimes these images that Guru paints in simple words haunt us and
                enchant us for many years, and come back to us at very significant
                points in our own journey and its progress. I need to use this poem
                so the reference/context would be gratefully received if anyone
                knows of it.

                love
                Mrinali

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > the
                > > > greatest miracle is having the portrayal of this consciousness
                by
                > > Sri
                > > > Chinmoy in my life.
                > > >
                > > > Niriha
                > > >
                > > > PS Regarding the hidden smile in the Transcendental
                photograph, I
                > > > recall something that one of Sri Chinmoy's students told me
                many
                > > years
                > > > ago - before leaving for work each morning, she would look at
                the
                > > > Transcendental photograph to make sure it was smiling at her.
                She
                > > told
                > > > me it was her "consciousness check" since when in a good
                > > consciousness
                > > > she could easily see the smile contained therein.

              • beverly_canada
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2 8:55 AM
                  Ever And Never
                  **************

                  Will You love me, Lord,

                  If I love ignorance more?

                  "I shall love you,

                  To you open My Spirit's Door."

                  Will You love me, Lord,

                  If I marry the fires of hell?

                  "I shall love you;

                  Your life's venom-tree My Eye shall fell."

                  Will You love me, Lord,

                  If I live with wildest death?

                  "I shall love you;

                  In you I sowed My deathless Breath."

                  Will You love me, Lord,

                  If I come to You alone?

                  "Never! Bring quick

                  With you the world, else I shall moan."

                  Sri Chinmoy

                  No. 18 from "My Flute".
                  http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/my-flute/18.html

                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, mrinalicc

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2 10:24 PM
                    Well fancy that! thank you Beverly, I never thought of looking in
                    the most obvious place! Every one a classic - I really must learn
                    them all one day.

                    Mrinali