OT Dr. Who and Hinduism

  • morrisklein27
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19 8:08 PM
      O.K. this is definitely, totally off-topic, but can anyone tell me if the creators or writers of Dr.
      Who intentionally put in it so many references to Hinduism and Indian spiritual philosophy? I
      mean, the illustrious Dr. Who himself goes through a process of "reincarnation", or
      regeneration, right? And one of his main adversaries was the Rani, or "Queen" in Hindi. One
      of his assistants was named "Ramana"- a common Hindu name. And perhaps the darkest
      being he ever dealt with was known as "The Mara" a Sanskrit term for "The Evil One". Can
      this all be coincidence or did these people intentionally put these interesting references
      there? Can anyone fill me in on this?

      Thanks.

      Morris

      p.s. As a child, I used to watch Dr. Who a lot. I even developed a funny British accent from
      watching it so much.
    • sarada1007
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 24 9:24 AM
        Dear Morris,

        As a Brit I feel obliged to reply to your Dr Who posting as it's
        probably only the Brits who have a clue what you're talking about.
        For the uninitiated, Dr Who is basically a sci-fi programme (set in
        the British Isles, naturally) about a time-travelling alien
        called 'The Doctor' who has unusual powers and doesn't actual die,
        he just morphs into another body from time-to-time. This was
        terribly convenient since the producers of the programme were not
        tied to one particular actor and could dispose of them regularly as
        they wished. The Doctor also travelled around in a space / time
        craft which, inexplicably, looked like a 1950's UK police telephone
        box. No, really!

        Dr Who is an institution here, and you will even hear people
        characterising themselves by the particular incarnation of Dr Who
        they grew up with. I was a 'Jon Pertwee' girl myself, whilst those
        who remember Tom Baker are a generation behind me, and those who
        remember William Hartnell are a generation ahead. Thousands of us
        remember hiding behind the sofa and peeking out at the cyber men and
        darleks whilst tolerating the ever-more-dubious story lines (the
        darleks apparently somehow took over the earth even though they
        rolled around on three wheels and couldn't actually negotiate
        stairs).

        I have never heard anything about conscious references to Hinduism
        in Dr Who, and I suspect that the writers were just trying to sound
        exotic and mysterious. I understand in one episode, though, that Dr
        Who was 'revealed' to be the same person who was known as Merlin in
        Arthurian times.

        Hmmm...

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, morrisklein27
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > O.K. this is definitely, totally off-topic, but can anyone tell me
        if the creators or writers of Dr.
        > Who intentionally put in it so many references to Hinduism and
        Indian spiritual philosophy? I
        > mean, the illustrious Dr. Who himself goes through a process
        of "reincarnation", or
        > regeneration, right? And one of his main adversaries was the
        Rani, or "Queen" in Hindi. One
        > of his assistants was named "Ramana"- a common Hindu name. And
        perhaps the darkest
        > being he ever dealt with was known as "The Mara" a Sanskrit term
        for "The Evil One". Can
        > this all be coincidence or did these people intentionally put
        these interesting references
        > there? Can anyone fill me in on this?
        >

        > Thanks.
        >

        > Morris
        >

        > p.s. As a child, I used to watch Dr. Who a lot. I even developed
        a funny British accent from
        > watching it so much.

      • rathin31
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 25 7:34 AM
          Morris,
          I feel the need to illumine you with my limited knowledge of Doctor
          Who (not Dr. Who! The honorific must never be abbreviated! Don't ask
          me why...)

          "Regeneration" is indeed an exotic process, where the Doctor
          periodically goes through a kind of rebirth, albeit as (another)
          fully-grown man. Alas, I suspect that this was merely a convenient way
          to allow the series to continue once the lead actor had decided to
          call it a day.

          The Rani, huh? Don't remember her... must refer this to Mark J, our
          in-house Who expert whose encyclopedic knowledge of the subject is
          formidable, and perhaps even scary (put it this way, he can name the
          Doctor's long list of companions- in order of appearance. And the show
          has been continuing on and off for over 40 years. Which brings us tho
          the next question...)

          Alas, the assistant "Ramana" was actually "Romana", a contraction of
          the hard-to-pronounce "Romanadvoratrelundar". If that was a typical
          Timelord moniker, it's no wonder the Doctor (a fellow Timelord) didn't
          go by his real name.

          Again, alas, the Doctor's arch-enemy was not "Mara", but "The Master".
          Another Timelord, his real name is also a mystery.

          So the evidence for the influence of Hinduism on Doctor Who is looking
          scanty, to say the least. This does not change the fact that it
          remains an excellent, if erratic, sci-fi masterpiece, that easily
          eclipsed Star Trek in innovation and imagination on a fraction of the
          budget. I'm referring to "Classic Who" here, not the latest version,
          which boasts quite a handsome budget. Unfortunately, the new episodes
          don't seem to reach the same thrilling heights, though this may be due
          to the "Star Wars" syndrome, where the latest instalments can never
          match those fantastic memories from your childhood. Speaking of which,
          I saw some of The Empire Strikes Back last night, and it struck me
          that those terrifying imperial "Snow Walkers", that trudge along on
          four metal legs like giant elephants, are truly woeful, impractical
          attack vehicles. Did Darth Vader seriously think he was going to
          conquer the whole universe in those things? All you had to do was trip
          one of them up and it was finished!

          I can't wait 'til next time when I reply to your question regarding
          jazz appreciation, to impress you with my (non-existent) knowledge of
          jazz!

          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > O.K. this is definitely, totally off-topic, but can anyone tell me
          if the creators or writers of Dr.
          > Who intentionally put in it so many references to Hinduism and
          Indian spiritual philosophy? I
          > mean, the illustrious Dr. Who himself goes through a process of
          "reincarnation", or
          > regeneration, right? And one of his main adversaries was the Rani,
          or "Queen" in Hindi. One
          > of his assistants was named "Ramana"- a common Hindu name. And
          perhaps the darkest
          > being he ever dealt with was known as "The Mara" a Sanskrit term for
          "The Evil One". Can
          > this all be coincidence or did these people intentionally put these
          interesting references
          > there? Can anyone fill me in on this?
          >

          > Thanks.
          >

          > Morris
          >

          > p.s. As a child, I used to watch Dr. Who a lot. I even developed a
          funny British accent from
          > watching it so much.

        • goldenboat27
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 25 7:47 PM
            Morris, any discussion of Doctor Who and Hinduism is NOT off-topic in
            this spiritual discussion group.

            Another poster in this group once suggested to me that part of the
            Doctor's astounding popularity over the past 40 years was because he
            is like a spiritual master: a wise, compassionate, powerful figure who
            saves worlds and galaxies (without weapons), accompanied by numerous
            loyal, young assistants (i.e. disciples) who aid him in his mission.

            I must confess (or boast) that I still love watching the reruns - we
            just had the original 1963-1989 series on Australian TV - and picking
            up spiritual references, deliberate or otherwise.

            But having said that... I'm not sure if the writers based the series
            on Indian spiritual philosopy. The creators sat around the table,
            trying to come up with an outlandish concept for an educational (!)
            children's show. (Of course, the concept changed over time.) Over the
            years, it had numerous writers attached, so who knows what was going
            on in each of their minds? I've never read or heard of anyone trying
            to make a spiritual point a la Tolkien, C.S. Lewis or George Lucas.

            But now you mention that "Rani" means "Queen". I didn't know that!
            (Considering her chief ally was the equally evil villain who called
            himself simply "the Master", it makes sense that she would give
            herself such a title.) The Mara episodes were full of spiritual
            references, so I'd say that was deliberate. But "Ramana"? The
            companion's name was actually "Romana" (short for
            "Romanadvortrelunder", for those who like reading alien names), so
            that might be a coincidence.

            Mark

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > O.K. this is definitely, totally off-topic, but can anyone tell me
            if the creators or writers of Dr.
            > Who intentionally put in it so many references to Hinduism and
            Indian spiritual philosophy? I
            > mean, the illustrious Dr. Who himself goes through a process of
            "reincarnation", or
            > regeneration, right? And one of his main adversaries was the Rani,
            or "Queen" in Hindi. One
            > of his assistants was named "Ramana"- a common Hindu name. And
            perhaps the darkest
            > being he ever dealt with was known as "The Mara" a Sanskrit term for
            "The Evil One". Can
            > this all be coincidence or did these people intentionally put these
            interesting references
            > there? Can anyone fill me in on this?
            >

            > Thanks.
            >

            > Morris
            >

            > p.s. As a child, I used to watch Dr. Who a lot. I even developed a
            funny British accent from
            > watching it so much.

          • mrinalicc
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 26 10:36 PM
              I resent that! Australians also are mad-keen Dr Who fans: why even
              recently our meditation centre leaders here in Melbourne, bought a
              new vacuum cleaner which you pull along behind you on wheels, and it
              looks exactly like a baby darlek! I am having so much fun cleaning
              the centre lately, muttering as I roll along "exterminate ...
              exterminate!"

              But I must say I have noticed quite a few references to Eastern
              philosophy over the years.

              I also watched the new series that was on here recently, but I was a
              bit disappointed that the rest of the world is still, in the main,
              being left out of all the action!

              In my next incarnation I would like to be the first female Dr. Who!

              My Lord,
              Transform me totally,
              So that my former self
              Is nowhere to be found!

              Sri Chinmoy
              17013 Service Trees

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 27 3:31 PM
                Who knew ;-) that Doctor Who had such an international following? Oh
                how I wish I could recite that previous sentence with sound effects
                and visuals. **Who knew?** Well now if people reading here begin to
                think that being a Doctor Who fan is a prerequisite for studying
                meditation with Sri Chinmoy, we better have someone like me balance
                things by saying I don't believe I have ever seen a Doctor Who
                episode, ever! What have I been missing?? a lot apparently.

                Sharani

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, mrinalicc
                <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > me
                > > if the creators or writers of Dr.
                > > > Who intentionally put in it so many references to Hinduism and
                > > Indian spiritual philosophy? I
                > > > mean, the illustrious Dr. Who himself goes through a process
                > > of "reincarnation", or
                > > > regeneration, right? And one of his main adversaries was the
                > > Rani, or "Queen" in Hindi. One
                > > > of his assistants was named "Ramana"- a common Hindu name. And
                > > perhaps the darkest
                > > > being he ever dealt with was known as "The Mara" a Sanskrit term
                > > for "The Evil One". Can
                > > > this all be coincidence or did these people intentionally put
                > > these interesting references
                > > > there? Can anyone fill me in on this?
                > > >

                > > > Thanks.
                > > >

                > > > Morris
                > > >

                > > > p.s. As a child, I used to watch Dr. Who a lot. I even

              • purnakama2000
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 27 6:16 PM
                  OK Mrinali, I laughed out loud at the idea of you with your vacuum
                  cleaner saying "exterminate, exterminate"
                  That definitely gave me my joy injection for the day:)

                  With all of these posts about Dr. Who, I really feel that I've
                  missed out on something.
                  We did get it here in Canada, and I had many friends who were die
                  hard fans, but I guess I was never much of a sci-fi fan, except for
                  Star Trek(original and Next Generation), and Star Wars.
                  My father was the sci-fi fan in our house. His den was full of
                  novels with strange sounding names, and even stranger looking
                  covers, and it seems that I might have spied him once or twice
                  checking out Dr. Who on the telly. (He loved British TV and before
                  he died he was addicted to East Enders:)

                  Well I hope they bring Dr. Who back in repeats so that I can catch
                  up on what I missed.

                  Happy Vacuuming! :)

                  Purnakama

                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > if the creators or writers of Dr.
                  > > > Who intentionally put in it so many references to Hinduism and
                  > > Indian spiritual philosophy? I
                  > > > mean, the illustrious Dr. Who himself goes through a process
                  > > of "reincarnation", or
                  > > > regeneration, right? And one of his main adversaries was the
                  > > Rani, or "Queen" in Hindi. One
                  > > > of his assistants was named "Ramana"- a common Hindu name.
                  And
                  > > perhaps the darkest
                  > > > being he ever dealt with was known as "The Mara" a Sanskrit
                  term
                  > > for "The Evil One". Can
                  > > > this all be coincidence or did these people intentionally put
                  > > these interesting references
                  > > > there? Can anyone fill me in on this?
                  > > >

                  > > > Thanks.
                  > > >

                  > > > Morris
                  > > >

                  > > > p.s. As a child, I used to watch Dr. Who a lot. I even

                • niriha7
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 28 8:20 AM
                    Dear Purnakama,

                    What kind of a teacher are you not to be a Sci-Fi fan?! ;-)
                    When I was in sixth grade (ages 11 and 12), I had a teacher who after
                    lunch would play the guitar and teach us one folk song each day. Then
                    he would read a science fiction story to us.

                    This same teacher asked me a question and said I had the entire school
                    year to answer: What is the sixth sense? He was looking for me to
                    answer, *Intuition* which I do not think I did. He did not ask the
                    other kids this question I think he thought I should know the answer
                    since when invited to dinner at our house, he engaged in several hours
                    of discussion about Sri Aurobindo with my uncle who headed the world
                    religions department at a college. He also had his father come twice
                    a week for six weeks to teach us about the mechanics of automobiles.
                    Quite an eclectic and/or eccentric person he was and a real favorite
                    with the kids.

                    I shall never forget a story he read to us where some occupants of a
                    large apartment building discover in the basement of their building
                    some jet engines large enough to drive a space ship skyward. They
                    deduce that indeed aliens are amongst them and that the whole building
                    with the occupants is to be sent skyward and taken to some distant
                    galaxy where the aliens live. So just as all of us breathe a sign of
                    relief that the occupants of the building have made this discovery and
                    we are sure they will escape, something unimaginable (at least by our
                    hopeful little minds) happens.

                    The suspense is building. . .can the occupants get past the aliens
                    (who are indistinguishable from real people) and leave the building,
                    even if to just run out onto the sidewalk across the street from the
                    building?! Yes! It seems like they have accomplished the escape.
                    They are all standing across the street from the building huddled in
                    relief when they hear a loud roar of jet engines. The ground is
                    shaking and the noise is deafening. All are clasping one another in
                    relief. Then. . .can it be?!! The entire block rises and clear
                    shields come out of the ground enclosing all the buildings and people
                    for an entire square block!

                    This story was long and read over the course of about three days
                    making it so suspenseful that ahem, many decades later I still
                    remember it.

                    What about the Twilight Zone and Outer Limits? Did you have those TV
                    Shows in Canada? My sister and I would not miss either program for
                    anything in the world! We were a bit irritated with Outer Limits as
                    it just did not meet the standard of Rod Sterling's "The Twilight Zone."

                    I am of course joking with you. I am sure you are a superb teacher
                    sci-fi or no. Besides, think how deep an impression that story made on
                    my consciousness that decades later, it is still in there. I am not
                    sure that is good. Truth to tell, I think the story scared me.
                    Fortunately, there was only one apartment building in Va.Beach where I
                    lived. But I am sure I looked at it with suspicion every time our
                    family passed by it in our car.

                    ^ ^
                    O O
                    ~~~

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, purnakama2000
                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > remember William Hartnell are a generation ahead. Thousands of
                    > us
                    > > > remember hiding behind the sofa and peeking out at the cyber men
                    > > and
                    > > > darleks whilst tolerating the ever-more-dubious story lines (the
                    > > > darleks apparently somehow took over the earth even though they
                    > > > rolled around on three wheels and couldn't actually negotiate
                    > > > stairs).
                    > > >
                    > > > I have never heard anything about conscious references to
                    > Hinduism
                    > > > in Dr Who, and I suspect that the writers were just trying to
                    > > sound
                    > > > exotic and mysterious. I understand in one episode, though,
                    > that
                    > > Dr
                    > > > Who was 'revealed' to be the same person who was known as Merlin

                  • goldenboat27
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                      At the risk of turning this into a Doctor Who message group (and there
                      are already plenty of those), I can't resist adding one more reply.
                      Not everyone who studies meditation with Sri Chinmoy is a Doctor Who
                      fan, but it makes sense that Centres in Britain, Australia or New
                      Zealand would include several fans.

                      Not everyone who meditates would be inspired the science fiction, the
                      humour, or the monsters. (Like Harry Potter, Doctor Who has thrilled
                      millions of children with its light horror.) The lead character,
                      however, is something else.

                      The Doctor (despite the show's title, nobody calls him "Who") is a
                      hero who eschews violence, using his brilliant mind and superhuman
                      INNER strength to defeat any number of cosmic foes. He is opposed to
                      anything that is anti-life, though he has been known to (reluctantly)
                      destroy an evil force for the greater good. In the 1980s, the
                      producers tried to make him a rougher, more physically tough fighter;
                      most Doctor Who fans consider that to be the nadir of the series' history.

                      Indeed, the original Doctor was a frail, elderly man, who nonetheless
                      had the genius, the wisdom and the will power to defeat the Daleks and
                      other forces of evil. While his later "incarnations" (as they are
                      called) have generally been more physically able, they have always
                      used their wits rather than their brawn - and almost never have they
                      used weapons.

                      It's interesting to compare the Doctor with Britain's other most
                      durable screen hero: the suave, violent James Bond. Both fight against
                      evil, but which one would be more inspiring to spiritual people?

                      No contest...

                      Mark J
                      (Canberra)

> [...]
                      > > those
                      > > > who remember Tom Baker are a generation behind me, and those who
                      > > > remember William Hartnell are a generation ahead. Thousands of us
                      > > > remember hiding behind the sofa and peeking out at the cyber men
                      > > and
                      > > > darleks whilst tolerating the ever-more-dubious story lines (the
                      > > > darleks apparently somehow took over the earth even though they
                      > > > rolled around on three wheels and couldn't actually negotiate
                      > > > stairs).
                      > > >
                      > > > I have never heard anything about conscious references to Hinduism
                      > > > in Dr Who, and I suspect that the writers were just trying to
                      > > sound
                      > > > exotic and mysterious. I understand in one episode, though, that
                      > > Dr
                      > > > Who was 'revealed' to be the same person who was known as Merlin

                    • purnakama2000
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 4, 2006
                        Hi Niriha,

                        Yes , alas and alack, I am lacking in the sci-fi world. Thank
                        goodness they don't make sci-fi a requirement for teacher's college:)

                        I can relate however to the singing of folk songs to students,
                        which I have done, and continue to do. With all of the rap, Hip Hop,
                        and other strange stuff that they listen to, I feel it is my duty to
                        give them a taste of something different. I have played and sang
                        some of Guru's songs for them, and they really like it.
                        I figure it won't kill them to listen to something soulful once in a
                        while:)

                        As for The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, I was, and still am a
                        huge fan. I loved the twists and turns that led to the always
                        surprising ending.

                        And I have to agree, The Outer Limits couldn't hold a candle to The
                        Twilight Zone. I also used to like Alfred Hitchcock Presents,
                        although they were often slightly more gruesome.

                        Aliens hiding jet engines in apartment buildings. Well, who
                        knows? :):)

                        Purnakama

                        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7